My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a Cyclone Rake XL to tow behind my Kubota GR 2110. Anyone have any experience with them? In the research I did and reviews I read it seems like it is as advertised.

·
16,525 Posts
I believe one of our members (probably more than one) have one of thses. Anyway, I believe slkpk has one that he modified, somehow--or redid, and uses it behind a JD...

·
Registered
968 Posts
SLKPK has the JD powerflow system with the MC19 cart. (something like that, I'm not JD guy)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
I bought one this summer; I've used it to collect grass clippings and also thatch (after dethatching) so far. Works great. Looking forward to using it on the leaves soon. I have the Commander model; hooked up to a crappy ol' big-box store bought Cub 1018; does a great job.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yep, living in the northeast has its drawbacks... Wet, cold, heavy leaves are a part of late fall. Especially oak leaves. I've been extremely happy with my Cyclone Rake PRO for about 6 years now.

-gh

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought one this summer for grass but mostly leaves and it works great. It takes a little getting use to turning with it, it comes around fast with my X534 AWS. I have a commander model.
Maxl

cr 001.jpg

cr 002.jpg

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Getting a Cyclone Rake XL to tow behind my Kubota GR 2110. Anyone have any experience with them? In the research I did and reviews I read it seems like it is as advertised.
I have a Cyclone Rake...it make leave removal easy...;)
The organization is very supportive...they shipped me one of the hold down screws for the motor unit (NO CHARGE), because I forgot to check to see if they were tight...something you should do every time you take it out...:rolleyes:

This is a purchase I'd make again...:fing32:

If you like, I'll let you come up to VT and you can try it out collecting some more leaves in my yard...:D

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's leaf time and once again my procrastination has caught up with me. I've looked at the various tow behinds and the biggest problem seems to be my 60" deck on a Simplicity Legacy XL which is a Left-Hand discharge. So I'm back to sweeping which I hate.

How do the mount behind baggers compare to a tow behind system like the Cyclone Rake? Off the top of my head, I can see 2 advantages. One is volume and means the baggers need dumped more often (which I don't really object to considering what's involved with the sweeper). The other would be the availability of the wand for vacuuming where the tractor won't go.

Appreciate the thoughts.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I just mow my yard in one direction with my Gator Blades on my sears SS16 and it blows all the leaves into the woods.

1106101453.jpg
Before I mowed over the leaves

1106101456.jpg
After 2 passes

I will add, my yard has NO leaves left :) the leaves were we when I mowed and what didn't get blown into the woods is all 1/2" or smaller mulch on my lawn. I hate raking :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Friend of mine has one for their Exmark zero turn. His only complaint at first was the cost, but first season using it, he changed his mind. He did tell me if I ever got one, spend the extra $$ and get the dual tail wheels. He is very happy with it..

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
This one is mine. Got both hose kit I use mine commercially, and it`s the best money I spent. Two tools in one, when using the unloader. If you have plenty of room, where your trees or shrubs are really far apart get the XL or the new Z 10, kind of strange the XL has a 9hp motor and the Z 10 has a 10hp motor and cost $200.00 more for 1hp more. I must be missing something?

I have the Commander w/285 gallon bag, you can get the next size 415 gallon with the same 6.5 hp Vanguard plenty of power. I mulch the leaves first and that fills the bag, better then picking up big whole leaves. The price for a spindle driven bagger for my Toro Z Master was $2,300. installed I spent way less then that and can pick up more leaves. Wood lawn power customer service is the best there is. The CR should tow great behind your GR2100. Bigger bag I`d get the duel wheels not the single wheel.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
the XL has a 9hp motor and the Z 10 has a 10hp motor and cost $200.00 more for 1hp more. I must be missing something? .

I have the Commander model also - love it. By the way, the new Z-10 has a 10" diameter hose, vs 8" on the other models. Mine was new in 2004 and has a 7" hose. I like the bigger hoses they use now, plus the Vanguard engines vs the Tecumseh unit mine came with. Good product and good company to deal with.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Mine was new in 2004 and has a 7" hose. I like the bigger hoses they use now, plus the Vanguard engines vs the Tecumseh unit mine came with. Good product and good company to deal with.

I didn't know they used Tecumseh on them, hope it`s the OHV motor. I got one on a Giant Vac walk behind blower, runs great been using it for a long time, and it been through ****, just normal maintenance. The 8" hose is fine on mine, 10" sounds more like a commercial set up, thanks for the info.

·
Got Low Range????
393 Posts
How easy is it to empty the CR? I'm thinking if you mulch first then go over them again with the CR, it will also grind them up again and the load would be very fine/compacted and hard to unload. Is that true? Also would be great compost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a PRO model which is almost the same as the Commander now. I mulched the leaves for as long as I could until the grass was over saturated in a few spots. I have the 40' Estate hose which I used to clean beds. Now I'm picking up the leaves and unless I let it get packed full to the screen, it's pretty easy to unload. I have a handy ravine so I back down close to it and dump/push the leaves in. I have an acre surrounded by trees and find the PRO to be the right size. Anything bigger would be impossible to maneuver around stuff. I have the dual wheels and my only gripe is that they dance like bad grocery cart wheels when the load is light. Extremely well engineered product with excellent customer support. I'd definitely get one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a BX1860 And have a Cyclone Rake Commander Are there any issues with the deck Hgt. on a MMM and the 3PH I have the CR mounted on a Craftsman now I called woodland and I need to get more info on the deck It will cost about another 250.00 For the Longer hose,Deck adaptor, and And 3pt adaptor The cyclone rake is one of the reasons for buying the 1860 It seems that the cyclone rake was dictating the Direction of the Craftsman I hope it works Thanks Tony

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the Pro XL. I have not used it for grass but it does a very good job on leaves. It is very powerful & I have it at our cabin where it is sandy. It sucks up a lot of sand which makes the load very heavy. I think I would consider the 6.5 HP if doing it again. This year I blew the pine needles & leaves off of the sand spots onto the grass areas & picked them up there, worked alot better. I also have the power bagger boxes. I would not buy them again but would have bought the power unloader instead. While the boxes do fill up so does all the area around them so you end up cleaning the rest out anyway. I put the leaves in a trailer & haul them away. I have wooded area next to the lawn but can't drive in because of the number of trees. I think with the power unloader I could just blow them into the woods but I would think you would need some kind of bracket to support the hose end or it will just plug up at the end. If anyone has experience with power unloader I would like to know how well it works on a flat ground area. Over all I like it very much & would recommend it.
Jerry

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Can't go wrong with one. I've had one for eight years, single wheels and never had a problem load wise. Of course our lawn is hard as a rock, what with only six inches of earth atop ledge rock, so it couldn't sink in if it wanted to. If you have a soft plush lawn, the dual wheels prevent it from making compacted ruts.
The dual pins in the hitch make using it child's play, no jack knifing backing up. So easy my wife can use it. I also got the vacuum hose cause lot of area can't get to. Also great for our raised beds. We have a lot of hickory trees and this sucks the nuts up off the ground. Only downside, you can't pause when cleaning a mulched area, let it get a bit too close and you'll be asking yourself "what mulch?"
I use it on my cub cadet and also on the atv when I'm just using the hose. Great investment, very well made. As for the unloading, the whole bag assembly pivots up to just about vertical and the stuff tumbles out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts