My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was one of those whim purchases, had a few bucks in my pocket, and I am only really looking at things in calibers I already own. I wanted kind of a cheap survival rifle with a mid size caliber, and a mid length range. So I was looking for something in a .223/5.56, or 7.63x39 or something similar, but a very simple and inexpensive design, with plastic furniture, etc.

I had never really heard of CVA at all, but my local shop had a few of these in stock I think in .223, and .243 compact blackout or something similar, and the prices on these are terrific.

I guess CVA has a lot of break action rifles and "pistols" and muzzle loaders.

So what the one I bought is, is a .223 break action single shot rifle, 20" barrel, 1:10 twist, with a 1" scope mount on the rifle from the factory, and here is the description from their website.

"CVA’s HUNTER models are our most basic break-action centerfire rifles, but are plenty of gun to get the job done for the budget-minded hunter. Whether you’re looking for a child’s first hunting rifle or a compact truck, camp or brush gun, the HUNTER is a great choice. HUNTER rifles include a blued steel barrel that’s 22” in light calibers, 25” in heavy calibers and 20” in compact models. Plus, every HUNTER model is perfectly balanced in a 100% ambidextrous composite stock making the gun incredibly quick to aim and shoot. Rifles include a DuraSight® weaver style rail. HUNTER standard rifles come chambered in .35 Whelen, .44 Magnum and .45-70, and the compact model is chambered in .243."

and here are the details from another website because it seems CVA may not be offering this rifle in .223 anymore? not sure...

CVA Hunter 223 Compact Single Shot Rifle With 20" Barrel. The CVA Hunter Break-Action Rifle features a easily maneuverable 20" blued-steel barrel and Black Synthetic Stock which both offer exceptionally long life as well as great accuracy. The Barrel is drilled and tapped to accept the CVA DEAD-ON scope mount . The Hunter Gun comes fitted with a 100% Ambidextrous stock, and Reversible Cocking Spur. The CrushZone Recoil pad is designed to handle recoil exceptionally well for those young shooters. The Hunter Gun also features an Automatic Hammer Blocking Safety System that positively prevents the firearm from discharging before the trigger is pulled.
CVA Hunter Compact Single Shot Specifications
• 20” Compact Blued Barrel
• 1:10" Rate of Twist in the .223
• DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ One-Piece Scope Mount
• CrushZone® Recoil Pad
• Reversible Cocking Spur
• 100% Ambidextrous Design
• 5.5 lbs. Total Weight in Compact
• 35” Overall Length in Compact
• 13” Length of Pull in Compact

I watched a few videos on Youtube, and one guy was having issues with one not striking the primers hard enough to fire, however, mine does not have that issue.

Here is mine, and a short video of me shooting it with completely the wrong scope- Stupid me put a .22 rimfire scope on it, and theres not enough adjustability in that scope, so I have since purchased a Simmons 4-9 power "8 point" scope for about $30 off ebay, brand new, and put a front sling to rail adapter and a cheap $22 bipod from ebay on it. Also, added an Allen rifle shell holder on the stock, and for a total price about about $240 you can have something just like this:

IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3932.jpg
IMG_3933.jpg
IMG_3934.jpg
IMG_3935.jpg

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do need to get out and zero the new scope, and get some accuracy testing done as time permits. So far, this thing seems well built, about as easy as it gets to operate, and fun to shoot

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
Bergara builds these for CVA and imports them. They are accurate (1/2" 100yd group below) and built well. I have the V2 in SS in .300blk and it is a tack driver. Love my CVA.

My trigger was excellent and light out of the box. How's yours?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bergara builds these for CVA and imports them. They are accurate (1/2" 100yd group below) and built well. I have the V2 in SS in .300blk and it is a tack driver. Love my CVA.

My trigger was excellent and light out of the box. How's yours?
My trigger isn't bad. I don't have a gauge, but medium weight and crisp. I'm happy with it for sure, not planning to change anything. I don't know why, but bolt actions, and break-actions are almost as much fun as a semi, and make you slow down and breathe more.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
K
My trigger isn't bad. I don't have a gauge, but medium weight and crisp. I'm happy with it for sure, not planning to change anything. I don't know why, but bolt actions, and break-actions are almost as much fun as a semi, and make you slow down and breathe more.
I've always like single shots and slow fire. Make you focus on the shot and make it count.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Your little CVA single in .223, set up the way that you have it, would make an excellent chuck and coyote rifle.
20+ years ago, or so - I spent countless hours patiently sitting on high rises in New Hampshire meadows with a New England Firearms single, varmint model with a heavy barrel in .22 Hornet. It was set up very much like your CVA with a Nikon variable, bipod, sling and shell holder. Having that butt stock shell holder was very handy, but I seldom took a follow up shot after having to come off target to break the barrel and eject/load another. As Steve points out, knowing you have only one shot at a time promoted better aiming and patient concentration on my part.
Chucks, porcupines, and coyotes within 200 yards of me and that little single seldom escaped, and never knew what hit 'em.

I've long since and regrettably traded that little rifle, but I did recently pick up a CVA Hunter single in .410 for pest duty. I likely wont keep it as, for some reason, the designers made the ejector so that it actually allows the rim of the shell to be pushed "past" it into the chamber if you're not very careful about not pushing the shell in too hard. Then of course, the ejector cant hook the shell rim and eject upon opening. I sometimes have to literally pry the fired shell out with a pocket knife. Never had such and issue with the 'ol H&R and New England Firearms models of similar (and copied) design. I still have one in 20 gauge that I bought 30+ years ago.
As soon as I find one of those old fellas in a shop some where in 410 (and not beat up and rusty - I'm particular about firearm care and condition) I'm going to scoop it up.

Anybody want a used CVA Hunter 410 in excellent condition?
It shoots fine, and has "pocket knife ejection"...

?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your little CVA single in .223, set up the way that you have it, would make an excellent chuck and coyote rifle.
20+ years ago, or so - I spent countless hours patiently sitting on high rises in New Hampshire meadows with a New England Firearms single, varmint model with a heavy barrel in .22 Hornet. It was set up very much like your CVA with a Nikon variable, bipod, sling and shell holder. Having that butt stock shell holder was very handy, but I seldom took a follow up shot after having to come off target to break the barrel and eject/load another. As Steve points out, knowing you have only one shot at a time promoted better aiming and patient concentration on my part.
Chucks, porcupines, and coyotes within 200 yards of me and that little single seldom escaped, and never knew what hit 'em.

I've long since and regrettably traded that little rifle, but I did recently pick up a CVA Hunter single in .410 for pest duty. I likely wont keep it as, for some reason, the designers made the ejector so that it actually allows the rim of the shell to be pushed "past" it into the chamber if you're not very careful about not pushing the shell in too hard. Then of course, the ejector cant hook the shell rim and eject upon opening. I sometimes have to literally pry the fired shell out with a pocket knife. Never had such and issue with the 'ol H&R and New England Firearms models of similar (and copied) design. I still have one in 20 gauge that I bought 30+ years ago.
As soon as I find one of those old fellas in a shop some where in 410 (and not beat up and rusty - I'm particular about firearm care and condition) I'm going to scoop it up.

Anybody want a used CVA Hunter 410 in excellent condition?
It shoots fine, and has "pocket knife ejection"...

?
that stinks about the ejector not working properly. Is it with all types of .410 shells? If so, I would contact them- sounds like a flaw. I have two .410's, both Mossberg 500's, and now that I have them, I wouldn't give them up. Have a few different Barrels for them, a "defense" 18.5" barrel, and two 24" barrels I think. Remarkably, the .410's cst more than a 12 gauge or 20 gauge, and so does the ammo Walmart had a ton of .410 ammo on sale several months back for about $5 a box for federal high brass gameshock and the handgun buckshot loads. I bought all I could find...
.410 isn't the best bore and ammo for skeet, or sporting clays, its ok for trap, and fun with slugs and buckshot cause it feels like a .22lr

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Congrats on the new toy.(y) CVA has been around for a long time and from all accounts are a good company offering well made products. I am in a dilemma myself in having a couple of SKS's and a boatload of 7.62x39 ammo but would like a more modern platformed rifle/carbine however pickings for a quality AK are slim to none now. I prefer gas piston driven over DI and have looked at PWS, Black Arms and a few others but holy cow the prices are out of reach for this old country boy.
Anyway, good luck with your new rifle.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the new toy.(y) CVA has been around for a long time and from all accounts are a good company offering well made products. I am in a dilemma myself in having a couple of SKS's and a boatload of 7.62x39 ammo but would like a more modern platformed rifle/carbine however pickings for a quality AK are slim to none now. I prefer gas piston driven over DI and have looked at PWS, Black Arms and a few others but holy cow the prices are out of reach for this old country boy.
Anyway, good luck with your new rifle.
Maybe if you sell both your SKS's and buy a Mini 30 that would solve your problems :) Around me, SKS's go for $500-700 because they're outside the realm of the "Assault" weapon ban. Mini 14's are $700 and up.

I actually really like my SKS, it's fun to shoot, and with mil surp or Tulammo, it's fairly soft shooting. I bought some Red Army hollowpoint, and that stuff kicks pretty hard.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
"Maybe if you sell both your SKS's and buy a Mini 30 that would solve your problems :) Around me, SKS's go for $500-700 because they're outside the realm of the "Assault" weapon ban. Mini 14's are $700 and up. "

WHAT???? sell 2 perfectly good SKS's for a mini 30 that's just plain blasphemy---lol.?
All kidding aside I had looked at the mini 30 several years ago but a friend had one and he couldn't get rid of it fast enough; as a matter of fact when he finally did he lost his crop on it.
Anyway, patience is a virtue and I'm studying to be a virtuous person so will wait and see what new offers may come in the future for the 7.62x39..lol.
Have a great one.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
"Maybe if you sell both your SKS's and buy a Mini 30 that would solve your problems :) Around me, SKS's go for $500-700 because they're outside the realm of the "Assault" weapon ban. Mini 14's are $700 and up. "

WHAT???? sell 2 perfectly good SKS's for a mini 30 that's just plain blasphemy---lol.?
All kidding aside I had looked at the mini 30 several years ago but a friend had one and he couldn't get rid of it fast enough; as a matter of fact when he finally did he lost his crop on it.
Anyway, patience is a virtue and I'm studying to be a virtuous person so will wait and see what new offers may come in the future for the 7.62x39..lol.
Have a great one.
If you have an AR you could always slap a 7.62x39 upper on it for <$300 if you don't mind a gas system. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Alternatively a bolt action like the Howa Mini bolt. Found one for $371.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If you have an AR you could always slap a 7.62x39 upper on it for <$300 if you don't mind a gas system. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Alternatively a bolt action like the Howa Mini bolt. Found one for $371.
Thanks Steve, yeah I have been looking at PSA https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-classic-polymer-railed-rifle.html and also watched several video reviews including this one from akou where Rob Ski reflects on his improvised firing pin retainer tooth pick to fix a fubar
that is hilarious at points. He a has prior video when it actually happened at 4k rounds.
I don't need another bolt rifle as I have a Remington b/a in .270 win that gives all the extended distance accuracy I would ever need.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
Thanks Steve, yeah I have been looking at PSA https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-classic-polymer-railed-rifle.html and also watched several video reviews including this one from akou where Rob Ski reflects on his improvised firing pin retainer tooth pick to fix a fubar
that is hilarious at points. He a has prior video when it actually happened at 4k rounds.
I don't need another bolt rifle as I have a Remington b/a in .270 win that gives all the extended distance accuracy I would ever need.
Thanks again.
PSA marked one of their AKs down to $529. Just saw it on Gundeals.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rudedawg, That is freaking hilarious.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took my SKS out Saturday, and was hitting in an 18" circle at 200 yds. For me, thats pretty good- at that range, the front post is wider than the target.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Rudedawg, That is freaking hilarious.
Yeah Rob Ski is a character but he knows AK's that's for sure and tells it like it is. He has had several major companies and importers fly him to their facilities to look at and make suggestions on prototypes and builds. He is Polish and was stationed at Fort Benning but has since retired and has moved his operation out west iirc.

I took my SKS out Saturday, and was hitting in an 18" circle at 200 yds. For me, thats pretty good- at that range, the front post is wider than the target.
That's great. The SKS is not a "minute of can" rifle, lol but is more than capable of being minute of man @ that distance. I put Murray's firing pins in both of ours to shoot premium soft primer brass when I get serious about groups but carry the stock pins along to chew up commi bloc steel stuff just to plink. It has been a while since I have been able to take any of mine out due to our hunting camp shut down a few years back and my buddy's now ex wife got all the property plus a hefty alimony. I am currently trying to join a new range and my neighbor is sponsoring me but the owner has been really hard to get a hold of; left him another message this morning as a matter of fact. Man I need to get out and zero in some new optics on several rifles.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am pretty happy with the sks. I was shooting Red Army jacketed hollow points, I think 124 grain. At 100 yds, just like a Mosin, it shoots High. I was probably 8-10" high and right of the target. I have the sight adjusting tool, just haven't had a chance to use it yet. I usually don't have a ton of time at the range, and I hate being rushed, so I just shoot what I can, when I can. I thought about taking the front sight post out, and filing it thinner. or just buying a better one. I really haven't messed with the SKS much at all short or replacing my plastic jungle stock with a wood russian one. And the action is pretty loose in the stock... But it still shoot pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts