My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend that lives in Uras IL. is into Steam and hit&miss.
He was cutting steel with a gas torch. sparks burned into a plastic lid on a coffee can. Paul used the can with some gas in it for soaking small parts.
Sparks burned threw and exploded the gas.
This is a good lesson for me also,I have carb cleaner in a coffee can. I try to do my cutting in one area, but sometimes my mind might draw a blank.

Attachments

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the message that paul originally sent me , Im waiting for a response from him about what he was wearing.

(quote from Paul ,,,Don: I will be all right after I get out of the Ursa burn center. I was cutting a hole in the frame with a cutting torch of the Model A Tractor. and a coffee can with a plastic lid didn't take kindle to my cutting right above it, with some old Gas in it. It pop off and set my leg a fire and some other stuff too. I got my leg beet out then got a fire exterior and put out the fire. later Paul,unquote)

·
15,000 +posts!
20,442 Posts
Yes,and remove their heart!..:( I've read about guys having lighters explode in their breast pockets when slag melts into one,and BOOOM--your heart is in peices..

It's not easy being careful with cutting torches,after I got used to cutting vehicles apart with them,I tended to be complacent after awhile,but sometimes you'll get a refresher course in safety when you cut something you should not have, or didn't mean too--like that time I cut what appeared to be a black steel brake line,but in reality was a plastic fuel line tubing on a Ford pickup..my arms looked very much like those in the photo after it burst and splattered flaming napalm all over me--was liucky my face wasn't in the line of fire!..I had an oil filter pop and throw flaming oil all over too,while cutting motor mount bolts off one vehicle,and the torch was 6" away from it--but evidently the flame was more than hot enough to boil the oil and cause the filter to rupture..that was another close call..

Its not just torches either,just about ANY power tool has potential to ignite fumes or maim, or electrocute you...my co-worker found a nice old electric drill in the trunk of a junked car once,and he soon was using it for all his drilling chores..but it was steel cased,old and not double insulated,and one day while he was using a wire wheel with it to de-rust and de-grease some parts,the gas he used to wash the parts evidently soaked into his shirt sleeves unnoticed,that is,until the sparks from the drill's motor brushes ignited the fumes!--WHOOOF and his hands looked like a pepparoni pizza for about 4 months!..I thought they'ed never heal up..they did,but he'll carry those scars for life,my arms were lucky,no real visible scars,but they still hurt there at times..

Arc welders and water are not a good combination either!..I've gotten some nice jolts by welding something on a wet concrete floor,touch the wrong part of that electrode holder,or the electrode itself,and you'll know it!..how I wasn't killed I dont know,it sure feels like your heart stops when you get a belt from an arc welder...
I know a classmate I went to trade school with that was killed when he was under a car welding on a trailer hitch--he took his mask off to inspect the weld,and the welding rod brushed against the gas tank,it melted through it almost instantly,and the resulting inferno consumed him in a matter of seconds,along with the car,and the garage..

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Yes,and remove their heart!..:( I've read about guys having lighters explode in their breast pockets when slag melts into one,and BOOOM--your heart is in peices..

You know, I have heard this about the BIC lighters so many times... and have never actually met anyone who did this. Could this be another urban legend?

No, I don't want to test it! Maybe Mythbusters will.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I was welding and a hot bead rolled 30 feet under a plastic 5 gal gas can and melted a hole in the bottom ... The can was full of gas... All the gas soaked across my cement shop floor right up to where I was welding... I put my hood down to weld some more and I smelled gas ... I lifted my hood to see why... And I ran for my life... Nothing happened... I live to tell the story..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Arc welders and water are not a good combination either!..I've gotten some nice jolts by welding something on a wet concrete floor,touch the wrong part of that electrode holder,or the electrode itself,and you'll know it!..how I wasn't killed I dont know,it sure feels like your heart stops when you get a belt from an arc welder...
I know a classmate I went to trade school with that was killed when he was under a car welding on a trailer hitch--he took his mask off to inspect the weld,and the welding rod brushed against the gas tank,it melted through it almost instantly,and the resulting inferno consumed him in a matter of seconds,along with the car,and the garage..
I am just now teaching myself how to weld and this happened. I found out why the electrode holder is called the stinger. :Disgus:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes BIC lighters Do explode ! Had one inside my welding jacket pocket go off . I had my leathers all on at the time wich I never do, saved my butt. :)

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All these years I have only had two bad experiences ,#1, I have always thought that I was a quick thinker, Well, doing a weld with tennis shoes on! when a red hot slag drops on a tennis shoe, it will get thrue the shoe,sock and do 1st,2ed and third degree burns before you can get the hood off. It can also burn thrue a pant leg and into the top of your boots.
The most painful thing I did. Young and not to bright!!
I welded some time on a roll cage for my stock car,WITH a crack in my dark lens on the hood. Oh my ,I burned a eye, steak, sliced raw potato`s helped get the fire out, OH and about a half case of Bud Light.
I do have a good set of leathers now and better equipment.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Growing up Dad had all the toys a kid could ever want to play with! Back in the 60's as a teenager one time when scrap was up I was out back cutting steel into #1. Worked all day and had more to do the next morning so I left the tanks hooked up, turned them off at the end of the day. The next morning after it had rained a bit over night I turned on the fuel tank, then turned on the oxygen.when I opened it the regulator exploded! The pressure blew me back over the scrap pile, deep fried my hand even though I had a glove on.

Quick thinking saved further tragedy. I picked myself off the ground and shut the tank off. In a matter of less then a minute the flame had impinged the tank and almost burned through. The brass from the regulator was melted down. Dad seemed to think there must have been a pin hole in the diaphragm of the regulator. I learned a valuable lesson that way. Oxygen and water is a bad mix!

Get smarter or get dead.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW Slip , I did not know that about the water. I wonder about these portable welder truck thats running around with tanks strapped on? Good info Slip , Im glad you didnt lose a hand.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
a guy my brother in law went to school with was working on his motorcycle under his carport. he did nto realize that a plastic gas can was sitting on the other side and slag went in it resulting in an explosion. he lived a miserable 3 weeks in teh burn center with 3rd degree burns on 65% of his body before finally succumbing to the massive infections.

if you use a torch or a welder, verify there are no flammables within at least 10 feet of you.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,442 Posts
If you had said 35 feet,I'd agree with you!..the torches we used at the junkyard could cut up to 8" steel ,and would throw sparks up to 50 feet away if you held the cutting trigger fully on,especially if the steel was rusty and "popped" while it was being cut!..it almost felt like an air gun,it would push your hand and arm back from the pressure!..you could empty a full cylinder of oxogen in about 5 minutes if you cut up thick stuff pretty easily..

We had more than one small surprise fire in the garage there,a huge 50'x150' steel building,with many cars stored inside..all it took was a cardboard box,old seat,etc, or other trash hidden behind or under a car to catch a peice of slag from cutting,often the fire did not start soon after the cutting was done too,it would smoulder for a long time,then we'd smell smoke ,cardboard has a unique odor compared to metal thats been cut..

We learned it was imperative to use the trash can,and not let any cardboard boxes lie around,or oily rags too..and keep the drain oil bucket and trash can far away from any cutting job,we covered them up with an old car hood usually..

We never had a real good water source,only a garden hose and a well pump,and that croaked years before the place closed,we saved rain water in barrels ,just in case!..only had to call the FD twice,once a fire started overnight outside, and nearly burnt a small building and a van,but we think kids might have lit it..we did cut parts off another vehicle not far away from there that morning,but it was 4 am the next day when it was burning well enough for a neighbor see it,and to call the FD!..pine needles may have been responsible?..

I usually prefer to cut and weld outside,unless its in the middle of winter--its bad enough setting the woods on fire,never mind burning down your garage!.I always linger in my garage at least an hour if I did any cutting or welding--my garage is a big mess,I'm ashamed to admit,so I tend to do that outside if at all possible..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts