My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just picked up a new LTX1045 because a backyard mechanic totally messed up the B&S engine in my Toro and I wasn't going to dump any more money into it!:banghead3

With my Toro (17-44HXL) I never cut the grass at a very fast speed. I haven't cut yet with the new CubCadet, but should I use the same rule of thumb or will the blades still do a good job at a fast speed. I know the Zero Turn tractors are faster than the lawn tractors and have seen people flying through their yards when cutting!

I plan on greasing up the tractor, hooking up the battery and firing it up tonight for it's first cutting, just wanted others opinion.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just picked up a new LTX1045 because a backyard mechanic totally messed up the B&S engine in my Toro and I wasn't going to dump any more money into it!:banghead3

With my Toro (17-44HXL) I never cut the grass at a very fast speed. I haven't cut yet with the new CubCadet, but should I use the same rule of thumb or will the blades still do a good job at a fast speed. I know the Zero Turn tractors are faster than the lawn tractors and have seen people flying through their yards when cutting!

I plan on greasing up the tractor, hooking up the battery and firing it up tonight for it's first cutting, just wanted others opinion.

Thanks !
Where did you get it ? things like lube/batt hookup along with other important cks/adjustments should have already been done by the dealer or service shop for the big box store... ??
Best to ck or get all that stuff ck'd/adj before working it - will stop a lot of later headaches, IMHO.
Yer LTX1045 should cut about the same way/speed that yer Toro did - yah, the ZTR's can run faster - nice if yer doing a golf course, but most of 'em will knock out yer eyeteeh at those ground speeds - no cushy springs/shocks to give you thet Buick ride.. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it at HD only because of the no payments/interest for a year. I was told it was lubed at the factory and is ready to go as-is, of course I have doubts after reading posts on here. The battery was not hooked up, no big deal. I've read here that's it's a good idea to lube everything before using it, plus a friend at a dealer recommended the same. I checked the deck on a level garage floor and it seems level, about ¼" difference between left and right side.

We only brought it home last night and it was too late to do anything. I'm anxious to get home tonight and start putting it through it's paces. One thing I was told from my dealer friend that when engaging and disengaging the PTO, I shouldn't have the speed all the way up, he said it's more wear and tear on the belt when the speed it up and less chances of something happening to it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well.. You can cut as fast as your conditions allow, but that depends on your conditions. Too fast and you'll lave an ugly cut and beat the heck out of your machine and yourself. I would recommend NOT letting the deck ride on the ground and have the gauge wheels set so they only touch on high spots.

Joel

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I got it at HD only because of the no payments/interest for a year. I was told it was lubed at the factory and is ready to go as-is, of course I have doubts after reading posts on here. The battery was not hooked up, no big deal. I've read here that's it's a good idea to lube everything before using it, plus a friend at a dealer recommended the same. I checked the deck on a level garage floor and it seems level, about ¼" difference between left and right side.

We only brought it home last night and it was too late to do anything. I'm anxious to get home tonight and start putting it through it's paces. One thing I was told from my dealer friend that when engaging and disengaging the PTO, I shouldn't have the speed all the way up, he said it's more wear and tear on the belt when the speed it up and less chances of something happening to it.
Yeah, HD smoked you, IMHO. Most mfgrs ship asm units partially broken down often w/o lube ( EPA concerns), etc. Also, often tire pressures are purposely shipped too high to minimize freight damage.. ad nauseum. The list goes on and on.
Don't get sucked in on the siren call of "runnin yer new ride" - get back to HD and civilly but firmly put yer foot down now. If not, be prepared for some possible aggravating mowing days ahead.

BTW, the PTO engagement tip was/is good.But - as long as I'm nagging, didja follow the manual's instructions on ckg that deck to be leveled correctly - it's a bit different than just a cuppla yo-yo measurements at the deck shell edges... & did you ck/set yer tire air pressures correctly first ? Can make a big difference.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
It may be worth it to take it to a dealer and have them due the setup on it. I bought a homelite chain saw from HD once and they flat told me the warranty would be non existent if I didn't take it in to get setup/tuned for the first run. Of course I didn't. It ran ok and then the carb wasn't letting run right after 6 months of use. I took it in then and they adjusted the carb (not covered under warranty any way) and it never ran better! Would have saved a lot of my time to begin with to have it running that nice. Probably only cost 100 or 150 bucks.

T.C.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi All,
Where are you all shopping at? I got hte Homelite 46cc 18inch saw and it w3as ready to rock. I bought the LTX1045 and onther than putting the battery cables on it was setup and klubed when I took it off the truck. Yeah you jsut spent $1800 on a yard tractor check it out and lube it but more for your own benefit as much as the machine's. All things are not perfect though, my front deck height was off and needed adjusting.

In any case these folks do give good adivce and they are very friendly so enjoy the new machine and have fun learning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Advice taken! Thanks alot.... I did lube everything up myself last night before starting/running it as I didn't trust it was done as the saleman told me. I cut the yard and was satisfied with the cut, but the deck wheels are running on the ground so I'll have to adjust them. I will follow the manual and recheck the deck is level. The only problem with me taking it back to HD or even somewhere else is transportation. I got my neighbor to help me out since he's got a pickup, but he also had to borrow ramps. It's going to take a couple cuts for me to get used to, I've been running my Toro for 5 years and the pedal on the Cub Cadet is just a little different. Definately like the speed and turning radius. I really think I cut the lawn in faster time last night. Although, I don't know that's a good thing ! I still enjoy my time "alone" cutting the grass! LOL

·
Registered
234 Posts
The wheels may turn in the grass. I set mine about 3/4" above the ground, when on a concrete pad. Really helps reduce scalping.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Advice taken! Thanks alot.... I did lube everything up myself last night before starting/running it as I didn't trust it was done as the saleman told me. I cut the yard and was satisfied with the cut, but the deck wheels are running on the ground so I'll have to adjust them. I will follow the manual and recheck the deck is level. The only problem with me taking it back to HD or even somewhere else is transportation. I got my neighbor to help me out since he's got a pickup, but he also had to borrow ramps. It's going to take a couple cuts for me to get used to, I've been running my Toro for 5 years and the pedal on the Cub Cadet is just a little different. Definately like the speed and turning radius. I really think I cut the lawn in faster time last night. Although, I don't know that's a good thing ! I still enjoy my time "alone" cutting the grass! LOL
Good that you did that much. But, get under the machine - ck for loose hardware, etc.with wrenches Ck all fliud levels that you can - yah, get that deck and wheels adj per the manual - ie., take nothing for granted. If not a sealed batt, ck cell levels.
Understand yer transportation dilemma - but it wasn't yer fault that machine was not prepped before pickup/delivery. Seems to me that is the store's prob.
When you get a chance, IMHO have a word of prayer with the store's manager - tell him what happened and firmly demand that he record your complaint - copy to you. . You will then have a leg up if any serious $$$ in early life warranty failures occur. And I feel w/o that final dealer prep, those chances get much greater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts