My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am having issues. I am getting two ridges. It appears as though my two outside blades are cutting lower than my center and therefore leaving ridges. I have brand new blades so I know that is not the issue?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I've had to make "adjustments" to new blades before. Pull the deck, flip it over, and match up the blade tips one side at a time. If there is a difference in height, determine which blade is off and bend it straight. If you are unsure which blade tip is off, set a straight edge across the deck and measure from blade tip to the straight edge, rotate a half turn and measure again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the same result with my 44" on my 1440. On my 1864 with the 54" I don't have any problem. I compared the decks and found that the blades on the 54" deck just barely miss tip-to-tip while the 44" has a noticeable gap..
It's always been this way for the 13 years or so I've had it, just figured that's the way it was.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
On my scag, the spindle bolts ocassionally loosen up from the abuse I give it.
The result is always the same...I'll start getting a ridge.
The time I tried cutting with my 124, was a disaster. The shafts were at different heights so the cut was horrible, but you're using a newer machine so this shouldn't be your issue.
Flip the deck as was already mentioned....you'll see you problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I think I understand what you are saying. I guess one of my questions is...Should the blades be in perfect parralell to one another? Or can the be in different rotations to each other?

I am a very non mechanical artist type :fing20:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
does that mean rotation, or in same height relationship to the ground?
They should all be the same height in relation to the ground but they won't always be at the same spot in rotation unless it's a timed deck i.e. geared.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They should all be the same height in relation to the ground but they won't always be at the same spot in rotation unless it's a timed deck i.e. geared.
It is a shaft drive

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
It is a shaft drive
You misunderstood what I meant, a timed deck is geared so the blades will mesh eliminating dead areas in the cutting path.

Whereas a regular deck has the blade tips close but not touching, where they don't touch is a place where it can leave a strip of uncut grass and because they are driven by a belt when it slackens the spindle pulleys never hit the same spot exactly so you may have one blade 90 degrees to the deck and one at a 45 deg. etc.

I have two decks for mine one is a 42" and has two blades that barely miss each other and cuts very well, the other is a 46 with three blades the two outer one are 16 1/2 " and the middle one is 14 1/2" and when the are at their closest to each other they have a 1/2" gap between them which means I get two thin strips of uncut grass these are factory blades also.

·
Banned
2 Posts
You misunderstood what I meant, a timed deck is geared so the blades will mesh eliminating dead areas in the cutting path.

Whereas a regular deck has the blade tips close but not touching, where they don't touch is a place where it can leave a strip of uncut grass and because they are driven by a belt when it slackens the spindle pulleys never hit the same spot exactly so you may have one blade 90 degrees to the deck and one at a 45 deg. etc.

I have two decks for mine one is a 42" and has two blades that barely miss each other and cuts very well, the other is a 46 with three blades the two outer one are 16 1/2 " and the middle one is 14 1/2" and when the are at their closest to each other they have a 1/2" gap between them which means I get two thin strips of uncut grass these are factory blades also.

good info you hit it right on the head

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
lol is this a trick Q ...

it has a crank shaft and the deck has 2 spindles and yes it has a belt ....is it the cub in the pic
I couldn't tell from the pic but my guess is this this one doesn't have synchronized spindles correct ?

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
Almost all decks that do not have synchronized blades have the spindles staggered a little front to back, so that the cutting paths of the blades overlap without the possibility of the blades hitting each other. On staggered decks that have a large gap of a couple of inches between the tips of the blades at the closest point, that is most likely because the front to back stagger is larger, not that there is a gap in the cutting path. If you are getting a strip of completely uncut grass between the blades, then you have the wrong size blades or the spindles are not mounted correctly. If the entire path of the deck is getting cut, but there's a difference in height across parts of the cutting path, then something is out of balance or adjustment.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am having issues. I am getting two ridges. It appears as though my two outside blades are cutting lower than my center and therefore leaving ridges. I have brand new blades so I know that is not the issue?

Any thoughts?
My first thought is that you bought blades that are too short. Are you sure you got direct replacement blades made specifically for the 3000 series deck that you have? They should be 18 1/2" long.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello all,

Any thoughts?
Maybe your middle blade is installed upside down (it happens). That is, the back of the blade (not the knife edge) is try to cut... that is tear... the grass.

If so, take it off and flip it.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Almost all decks that do not have synchronized blades have the spindles staggered a little front to back, so that the cutting paths of the blades overlap without the possibility of the blades hitting each other. On staggered decks that have a large gap of a couple of inches between the tips of the blades at the closest point, that is most likely because the front to back stagger is larger, not that there is a gap in the cutting path. If you are getting a strip of completely uncut grass between the blades, then you have the wrong size blades or the spindles are not mounted correctly. If the entire path of the deck is getting cut, but there's a difference in height across parts of the cutting path, then something is out of balance or adjustment.
You know thats what I thought at first also but then the dealer and I triple checked the part numbers and they are correct apparently at some point thru the years MTD had changed the blade sizes and forgot to notate this in the parts manual, because when you compare the original blades to the replacements they were about 3/8" of an inch shorter ? so we just matched up a new set and all was well but I still like the way the smaller deck cuts.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If the blade has one hole, then all three blades can be at different postions "of the clock".
If it has a belt, then just (wearing work gloves) hold the center blade, and force the outside blade so they are inline with each other. Check and see if they line up hieghtwise when the tips are closest to each other. Do each outer blade one at a time, and see if one blade is either bent, at a different hieght to the ground, or as was stated.....upside down. (it happens if you're not a mechanic by nature).
Personally, I bend a blade atleast once every three weeks, and have gotten really good at straightening them while still on the machine. :hide:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts