My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Sears 42" series 912 lawn tractor. I have always had a problem with the cutting height.

The tires are all inflated. The distance from flat concrete driveway to the underside of the deck is about 4" at the rear and about 3¾" at the front on it's highest setting, yet when I cut the lawn, it's about as short as you'd want it; any lower and it would scalp the grass.

When on it's lowest position, the deck is on the floor. I've adjusted the deck as the manual says but I must be doing something wrong.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Craftsman decks can be a little work to get right.

I'm not sure if this will work for your deck but it worked on a newer one I had.

On most, there is an adjustment for the lift itself. Then there are the side to side level, and front adjustments as well.

So, back to your perfectly level surface. Remove the front mounts, remove the guage wheels, and lower the deck until it hits the ground. You're probably still at like 2 or 3 on your height adjustment? If so, remove the deck and adjust the lift arms so that yout height lever is down to 1 or slightly less.

Now reattach the deck, and lift it up to where the height lever is at 4 or wherever you like to mow. Readjust the lifts until the blade height (not deck edge height) is close to wherever you have the lever set. Now level the deck side to side.

Reattach the front mounts, adjusting them such that they maintain deck level and set the front about 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the rear.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
First off, don't measure to the lip of the deck. Measure to the tip of the blade. After you have the deck properly levelled, crank up both deck adjusters equally so that the deck is pulled up tight to the stops in the #5 setting. By doing that, going from #5 to #6 won't actually lift the deck any higher, it will just hold it up tighter.

I actually ground some off of the the right side stop as it is the only one that it reaches. That way I can get the deck up higher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts