My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I picked up a 2002 L120 a few weeks ago and have been nursing it back to health. Paid only $50 for it from a co-worker! And that included a like new bagger kit!

So far, replaced the starter solenoid, plugs (gapped at .030), bearings in the deck spindles, removed and cleaned/greased the front steering arms (were froze up from sitting) and removed and soaked/cleaned the carb. Everything on it is working well now but I cannot get rid of this problem of it cutting out when under load (mower on) or running full throttle. It just sputters about once a second or so, but has good power.

I pulled the plug wires one at a time to see if I had a dead cylinder...thought one was running a little rougher than than the other so replaced the coil with one from and old engine I scrapped but problem still persists.

I just ordered a carb kit on ebay for $15 but I don't have high hopes on that fixing it as it contains mostly gaskets and they were in good shape. When I pulled the carb off and cleaned it last time I didn't see a place to adjust and it looks like it uses metering rods instead of jets. Any trick to make sure I have those clean enough?

Any other thoughts?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Does the engine stall? Or does the PTO dis-engage?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not stall and PTO stays on. I can mow the lawn with it the way it is no problem as it still makes good power.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
You could run some sea foam in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Actually, I put 3oz of Sea Foam in there and have ran about a half a tank since then. Sea Foam is awesome...but has not helped on this one.

You could run some sea foam in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to me it sounds like it needs a carb cleaning
I hope you are right. I pulled it apart and soaked it once already last week. I didn't have it apart as far as I could have. I pulled the carb off tonight and have it completely apart on my bench. Plan to soak it again for 24 hours once the rebuild kit comes in...hopefully mid week before I need to mow my and my father's lawns again!

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Is there a fuel filter? If so replace it. Check the vent in the gas cap. The metering rod will go into the main jet. Soaking may not be enough to remove varnish from the metering rod or the main jet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the fuel filter as well, forgot to mention. Also ran with the cap loose. I blew it out with compressed air also after last clean job.

How can I get the metering rods out without damaging them so I can get better access to the jets?

Is there a fuel filter? If so replace it. Check the vent in the gas cap. The metering rod will go into the main jet. Soaking may not be enough to remove varnish from the metering rod or the main jet.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I would give a quick update. Last night I had some time without the kids so was able to closely inpect the carb and did locate the jets (not sure how I missed them the first time!). One of the jets was blocked about 50%. Only thing I had small and stiff enough to clean it out was to take a pair of needle nose and pull a single wire from wire brush. Soaked it again overnight and thoroughly blew it out with the air compressor and ready to go back together. Just waiting for the new gasket set to arrive.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Thought I would give a quick update. Last night I had some time without the kids so was able to closely inpect the carb and did locate the jets (not sure how I missed them the first time!). One of the jets was blocked about 50%. Only thing I had small and stiff enough to clean it out was to take a pair of needle nose and pull a single wire from wire brush. Soaked it again overnight and thoroughly blew it out with the air compressor and ready to go back together. Just waiting for the new gasket set to arrive.

glad you found the clogged jet it will run like a champ now

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Hit your dentist up for some used root canal files- they only use them once. They're excellent for cleaning carburetors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I have used in the past are cutting torch files (to clean the slag out of the torch tip). Could not find them anywhere. Dentist file is a good idea, will hit him up next time.

Since I don't have the gasket set yet, going to take the carb to work tomorrow and use the torch tip cleaners there to make sure they are properly cleaned. Hopefully get the gaskets tomorrow, curious to see how it is supposed to run! I have less than $200 in this thing and only has 147 hours on it. Lots of life left in it.

If anybody has any leads on a new/used fender-floor pan I am interested! The current one is pretty rusty. I already picked up a dash pedestal to replace the rusted one, would like to do the dash and fender pan at the same time.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I never use anything stronger than soft copper wire on the jets. They are made of soft brass, and will deform and enlarge very easily. Then, you are running rich all the time.
Your jets, your call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts