My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there.......
My name is Bruce and I'm from NC
I've been interested in vintage mowers for some time now, and finally found myself in the right place at the right time
to snag one up and bring it home.
Only problem is I have no idea what it is outside of a craftsman 6hp 13.5 cubic inch riding mower from sears.
the only ledgible number on the entire mower is...... 131 96310 on the rear "data" tag

thanks for any help you guys can send my way, i never knew it would be so hard to identify an old lawnmower.
looking forward to learning and growing with the group..........lol, i should have started this hobby a long time ago !

Bruce
i will post some pics in just a minute...

·
4,807 Posts
Hi Bruce and welcome to
...that is a cute little thing.....you did post in the right spot to introduce yourself, but I am going to move it to the SEARS forum so it gets more traffic and you possibly get more help with it...you can also check in the SEARS / Craftsman literature we have and maybe find something pertaining to this little guy

·
Premium Member
8,537 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

Here's a link to Sears Parts Direct for that unit: Craftsman 13196310 rear-engine riding mower parts | Sears PartsDirect

If you Google search by the model number, (starting with 131), you can find parts diagrams and replacements from a variety of sources.

Being that old, lots of parts have been discontinued. But, having the part numbers and model number can help find used parts on eBay, etc.

Looking around online, I see manuals available for sale on eBay.

It appears to have been built in 1969, by AYP, and had a 26-inch mowing deck.

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I appreciate the point in the right direction but your data was saying rear engine, I was confused.....which, tbh dont take much sometimes, lol.....
I searched and searched and have most of what I'm looking for.
The little cutey is in fact a 1969 6hp 26" cut craftsman riding mower.
She was made by Roper and sold new in 69 for 280 bucks.
This series were numbered 131.96300 mine is a 131.96310....... the 1 simply designating a minor update or change to the original version.
I think I have found just about everything there is to find except for the one thing driving me crazy..... what is it called??????
I dont think it's a suburban or any other model names I can find........
Was this simply a nameless craftsman rider??? Lol, I can't find a pic of this mower with a model name attached to it...... I can't believe it's a no name mower available at Sears between 69 and 70.
Someone please help so I can sleep tonight, lol

·
Premium Member
8,537 Posts
Bruce,

I literally copied and pasted the page from Sears Parts Direct. Didn't notice that the link said "Rear Engine" until you mentioned it.

Roper was acquired by AYP at some point.

I think it was "just" Craftsman, just like they are today. I couldn't find a catalog from 1969 with your unit in there, that might also help.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I have found just about everything there is to find except for the one thing driving me crazy..... what is it called??????
I don't think it's a suburban or any other model names I can find........
Was this simply a nameless craftsman rider??? Lol, I can't find a pic of this mower with a model name attached to it...... I can't believe it's a no name mower available at Sears between 69 and 70.
Someone please help so I can sleep tonight, lol
Sears' naming conventions are, in my opinion, not very conventional. For example, I have a garden tractor made in 97. It does not have a model "name" other than garden tractor. Now, if you look at the previous style (gray, circa 93-95), it is called a GT6000. If you look at the following style (green, circa 99-2002) , it is called a GT3000. Later, when they first switched to red, they called it a GT5500. What's the logic?

How many billions of those famous, green LT1000 lawn tractors were sold in the late 90s, early 2000s? I have an 85 lawn tractor that is light duty, so you'd think it is an LT1000. Nope, it has no name. Nada. I have a 2014 lawn tractor and it's labelled T3200. No L. Go figure.

TractorData.com doesn't have the model names for a lot of them probably because the research would be overwhelming. Someone should write a book!

·
Premium Member
8,537 Posts
It's definitely not a Suburban, and not a Custom. Those didn't use the Craftsman name.

Mike

·
4,807 Posts
That Custom6 is one of the most solid tractors you will find...the guy that gave me that tractor told me that he used it to tow a Car once...it did have a Granny gear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guys...
I am leaning toward simply a craftsman as well, the little decal in center of steering wheel says craftsman, and both hood side stickers and the front sticker simply says craftsman as well...... so a craftsman she is!!
I'm just not use to something not having a make AND model name.......
Lol, my brother told me it was gonna be a chore messing with this thing...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,083 Posts
"131" is listed as "Sears Only" in their cross reference charts...AYP probably did make that baby tractor for Sears,as Sears themselves made "nothing",they simply had other manufacturers make things for them (some were "Sears Exclusive" made to their specs--some Craftsman engines made by Tecumseh for example,had one of a kind crankshafts that were different lengths or "stepped" PTO and used different flywheel keys than Tecumseh's )...
Other similar riding mowers were made by Huffy,Rugg,and MTD,perhaps this one was made by one of those companies for Sears..

I had two or three identical riding mowers like that one years ago,that I found sitting in the dump's metal pile,in almost as pristine condition..my guess is someone's elderly grandpa owned them,took very good care of them--then he died and his mowers got hauled to the dump..
I had a hard time selling them,I ended up practically giving them away at a yard sale I had,just to break even on what I spent on a new carb,points,etc,and my time...one of them had a mower deck that took a special cogged belt,that costed me about as much as I sold it for..the blades had to be "timed" so they would not collide and self-destruct..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts