My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the scrap yard a year ago and there was an early Horse (no serial stamped on it, maybe 1969 or so) in the pile. Complete but some damage, carburetor broken, couple minor dings in the hood. Also the tine shaft seals are leaking and the drive axle bushing were shot with oil pouring out. Didn't pay a dime for it, yard owner told me to throw it on the truck before I weighed out. So I lost 200 pounds of the weight I took in, roughly $ 18.00.

Bought all the shafts, bearings, gears and tore it down, sandblasted everything and repainted it real purrty like. New bar tread (ag) tires, new tines, etc

The original Tecumseh 6 horse is very tired, so I planned on a repower. I have a new Tecumseh LE358X 10 HP engine in the box, thought about using that. It is the last series of L head engine make as "commercial" with a cast iron bore liner.

But then I found a New Old Stock Hatz E 673 6.5 HP single cylinder diesel in my engine storage building. Can't remember where it came from, must have bought it at a swap meet somewhere. It is a Military surplus engine, never installed or used. It is crank start, has a little crank like a Vintage tractor - but that doesn't bother me.

In the process of making the frame to mount it on the Horse.

The Hatz weighs 84 pounds dry, and the Koler K161 weighs in about the same so the engine mount should take the weight.

That Hatz has wicked torque so if the tiller gets bound up on some roots it will either tear the transmission apart or throw the tiller over the roof of garden shed.

What do you think? I am going to succeed or tear up a bunch of parts trying?

·
Premium Member
9,897 Posts
I cannot WAIT to see this!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot WAIT to see this!!!

Mike
Mike,

It will be a while. My tiller is hanging from the ceiling in the spray booth, all shiny red with a new coat of automotive grade paint. The rest of the new parts are in boxes setting on the floor.

Unfortunately, customers machines come first. I have already done 4 Horse transmission rebuilds this year, along with 200 other pieces of lawn and garden equipment.

I have to build a steel frame to bolt onto the Hatz around the 10 inch diameter 30 pound cast iron flywheel the Hatz has on the pto side. The Hatz flywheel is outboard of the blower fan, the fan sits inside the housing and the flywheel is on the outside. I plan on rolling a piece of 1/2" plate 2" wide into a similar shape as the top of the Horse bellhousing, so it sort of matches.

This frame will then be bolted to the Horse bellhousing. Naturally it will be fabricated out of high grade steel and painted to match the tiller. This will hopefully make people wonder if it is original. If I get it right, no one will be able to tell it was hand made.

The attached pic from the parts manual shows the flywheel (pto) side of the engine. I plan to use the large holes around the flywheel to bolt my frame to. The Hatz uses a bolt on stubshaft from the center of the flywheel for the drive.

Attachments

·
'52 Ford 8N
451 Posts
Well it's been two years, where are you at with the diesel repower ?? Would love to see photos or even better, video if you did it.
I've wanted to do something like this to my '69 32" Ariens snowblower for the same "just because I can".

·
'52 Ford 8N
451 Posts
I know it's old but really curious if he might still be out there.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, still here. Unfortunately customers stuff takes precedence over my toys.

I have the tiller ready and the bellhousing built, make the handcrank to start the engine. Still have to mount it and test it out, then disassemble to paint.

Haven't gave up, but haven't got it done yet either.

·
'52 Ford 8N
451 Posts
I know what it's like but with me it isnt' customers it's short attention span and starting something else. Pretty soon I have too may projects and nothing seems to get done.
You should post up some photos of your progress now and then as it comes together.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I am interested as well

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly there is no updates. I had some medical issues with my kidneys and haven't done anything since last September. I hope to get back to it soon.

Bob

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have been doing some machining and fabrication. I made the bell housing for the engine, longer stub shaft, hand crank for starting with bearings on the handle, muffler system.

Everything is welded, drilled, tapped, machined and matched to the Troy Bilt cast steel mount.

More updates as I get more done.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
Thank you for the much hoped for update! As a long time Troy Bilt tiller user, I am eager to see what a diesel will do on one. My guess is the extra torque will make it a root chewing monster.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah I am also anxious to see more!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
Any news on how this machine is doing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts