My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not finding much in the way of custom built tractor trailers around here. Is it better to just not waste the time and purchase one? I thought about going to harbor freight route since this would barely be used for much behind the tractor. Any threads I could be pointed to or ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, My search skills must not be up to par.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive pretty much got my design figured out minus the axle. KISS and cheap work great for me.

·
The Link King
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
the axle on the cart im building is a peice of square tube with a bolt welded on on. im using front tires off an old lawn tractor so they have bushings and just spin on the bolt and are held with a lock nut

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm I guess the ol bolt route wouldn't be too bad for light duty.

·
Registered
558 Posts
if you wanted real strong you could use a couple pillow blocks and 3' of 3/4'' solid rod with stoppers about 4-6'' from the end depending on the wheel you use and thread the end for a lock nut to hold the wheel on or drill a hole at the end for a pin

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I used some rear wheel hubs off a front wheel drive car or mini-van,they bolt on with 4 bolts and allow you to use the same rims and tires or space saver donut spares too..

I simply used a length of 2-1/2" pipe with a peice of 3/8" flat stock welded on each end for the hubs to bolt onto--but,looking back I should have just used the whole rear axle,and saved myself a lot of work and welding!..a rear axle from an older FWD car like a Buick Skylark,etc is cheap at most junkyards,a Dodge Caravan one from the 90's is also a nice one,has leaf springs already too..
Also,dont overlook tent trailers and boat trailers,I see many given away locally and they made nice "yard trailers" with little modification..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts