My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My step by step process of the retrofit of a 54" JD 4 way hydraulic snow plow to my Bolens/Iseki H-1502 tractor . I recently found the plow used for a really good price the PO made a attempt at cleaning it up and painting it , I will eventually re do it right . He said it was off a 300 series , I'm not sure .... Some of my objectives & plans for this project are. (1) Minimal modifications to the originality of the tractor. (2) Make everything easily removable with minimal time & effort . (3) Design separate stand alone hydraulic system so I don't have to tap into the tractor hydro pump system . (4) keep costs minimal using easily obtainable components with the design as simple as possible . I originally planned on doing this on my Yanmar 186d but recently acquired the Bolens/Iseki and since it has hydrostatic foot control I figured it would leave my hands free for steering & the control levers during freequent changes in directions from forward to reverse . Lots of pics , here goes ....
pic 1 - getting these to work together can't be that hard can it .....
pic 2 - figuring things out
pic 3 - making cardboard patterns for the mounting brackets
pic 4 - transferring patterns to a cheap sheet of masonite from lowes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Custom JD 54" snow plow retrofit

I decided I wanted a easily removeable stand alone pump that would be driven directly off the front pto spline . This is a used Saginaw reverse rotation power steering pump .
pic 1 - figuring out the location of pump & how to connect it
pic 2 - mounting & brackets.
pic 3 - initial fluid tank idea & location.
pic 4 - basic design & orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

In order to make my design compact without protruding too far out in front of the tractor I had to slightly modify the front frame bracket . I figured I could easily reweld in a piece of plate steel to return it to original condition if needed .
pic 1 - the required notch
pic 2 - rotated the pump 90 degrees from my original orientation so that the inlet would be parallel with the bottom of the fluid tank.
pic 3 - pump brackets .
pic 4 - what I will be using for my fluid tank

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

For the sake of compactness I decided to notch the pump into the side of the fluid tank leaving only enough of the tank exposed to easily get to the fittings for the fluid lines .
pic 1 - initial mock up .
pic 2 - mock up & fitting of masonite patterns for pump brackets
pic 3 - showing the coupler I will be using .
pic 4 - tank will bolt to back of pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Welding it all together
pic 1 - welding .
pic 2 - more welding .
pic 3 - pump bracket & plate .
pic 4 - the 4 holes in the bracket are drilled to match the location of the holes in the front of the tractor where the original pto box attaches .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Top view showing clearances .
pic 1 - got it as close to the tires as possible to minimize overhang .
pic 2 - making sure pump is as close to perfectly aligned
pic 3 - added angle iron for additional bracing between side plates .
pic 4 - brackets trimmed , cornes rounded & smoothed before painting .

More to follow as I make progress .....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Adding a filler neck & cap to the fluid tank .

Pic 1 a remote mounted filler tube & cap from some GM truck/van .
Pic 2 filler tube cut to proper length & hole cut in tank .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Finally some more progress , bought a nice used 2 spool control valve from another MTF member . I made a bracket from some scrap tube steel that I saved off a old ATV cargo rack , and it bolts to the side of the hydrostat using existing bolt holes . It will be sand blasted & painted of course but this is where the control valve will be positioned so that I can rest my hand on the fender hand rail & work the levers with my fingers .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Finished the control valve fittings , reassembled everything & tested the operation of everything . Operates perfect as I had hoped for . I plan on using it as is over the winter season then I will disassemble everything one more time to sandblast all the bare metal parts , clean everything and prime & paint it all . Thanks to everyone that provided info that I was able to get ideas from especially Bob (Tudor) in the area of hydraulics .

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts

Looking good, Mike. If you have any problems or questions don't hesitate to contact any of us on the TE.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Brad , This project is finished , you can open this up for everyone to see if you want to .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts