My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello From Ct.,
New here, and Greetings!
I recently acquired my grandfathers 1968 Custom 7 that he purchased new.
This is a great old tractor, lots of great memories throughout my life. Even helped him put a short block on it when I was 13 or 14 years old.
It is in mostly original condition with the deck, plow, cart and the original canvas cab that he got when he purchased the plow, one of my uncles says there is a 3pt around the old garage that he remembers going to the local Sears to pick up for my grandfather.
So it is 41 years old now and would like to freshen it up and the biggest issue is the paint is faded and somewhat scratched.
Does anybody have a good color match for the red/orange of these years.
I saw a post that the Krylon Pumpkin orange was a good match and it does not look too bad for the paint on the topside but the underside paint is much more of a red.
Hope I wasn't too long winded....LOL
Thanks in advance and wonderful forum!
Keith

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Keith,I'd love to see photos!..never seen a Custom with a cab yet..I have a Suburban with one but only the roof and doors are good,the windsheild and rear section are pretty wiped..it's rare to find a deck or plow for one of those tractors too,especially the deck..rust claimed many of them and the gearboxes they used are scarce now too..some had aluminum decks!..

I have a "Compact 7M" of unknown vintage,it has flat top fenders ,but has a grill like a 72 vintage would have--it is (was!) red,now its faded red,kinda like red oxide primer..I think IHC red would have been a close match judging by the undersides where its still glossy and not sun faded..

I also have a "Compact 8M" thats a 1972,and its painted yellow,I'd say School Bus Yellow would be a very close match,but so far I haven't seen any in spray cans,I'd have to have it mixed at a auto body store..this one has round fenders..

My Suburbans ('67 and '68) are both orange and white,I too have read that the Krylon "Pumpkin Orange" matches closely,and it does,I have also found that Semoyur brand "Chevy Orange" engine enamel is close too..but I'm still getting them "useable",no painting has been done yet..mine wont get a fancy paint job,I just want to keep them from rusting and looking halfway presentable..

·
2,261 Posts
Welcome to MTF Keith,I think the red is probably the right color for it,the pumkin orange mentioned on the other site,I used more of a red on my Custom,and it was hit and miss finding the right color.They are a tough little machine ,hopefully you find the 3 pt.Good luck-

TOMMY

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the info,
Yea I am going to look around a little more and get a close red, doesn't have to be perfect.
I will heading back over to the old garage hopefully this weekend, also have to go take a look at another tractor this weekend.
The cab is still there and hopefully the 3pt.
As soon as I get the cab I will throw it on and get a pic for ya.
The deck is made of aluminum and the gear boxes are good but the deck has
some bad cracks in them that scares me, he he.
This is a tough little tractor, this mowed about 2 acres weekly plus the snow plowing of the 2 drives on the property close to thirty of its years and towed boats and whatever else that could get hooked to the back of it.
I must say that my grandfather got his money's worth and then some from
this tractor.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well got over to pick up the cab today so here are some pics.
Just kinda set is on the tractor, it is not in the best of shape but better than I thought. Even still has the original Model # tag.

Well' till I figure out how to post pics, here is the web album; http://picasaweb.google.com/cable70/SearsCustom7#

·
2,261 Posts
Kinda of neat,like to have that for my suburban,thks for the pics.

TOMMY

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I cant see the photos...got red "X"s instead..:(

There is another Custom 7 on the RI craigslist for sale though! ...time to start a fleet like me maybe??..

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,772 Posts
:Welcome1: Cable !, nice to have you with us and although the red X's are showing, the link you posted does work, nice looking machine :fing32: .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcomes,
Here's another try for pics.....lol

I don't even see the red X's in the previous, oh well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it worked,
anyways i picked up a couple different reds at the local hardware store and came up with Rustoleums Massey Ferguson Red looks close enough for this without getting into custom mixes and dealing with setting up my air compressor and spray gun whenever I want to do some clean up on the tractor. The spray can is always ready and will probably be ok for this.
I was going to put the cab aside for a while but a friend stopped by the house yesterday and said he might have source for sewing in new clear vinyl for the windows maby I will get that together soon.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Wow,nice shape for the age of it!..my "cab" on one Suburban is very similar,I only have the roof portion on it at the moment,I have doors that are in so-so shape,and a windsheild in poor shape for it..
I find getting on and off the tractor very difficult with the cab frame on it,I'm 6'5" tall,and I barely can get in it,once I do,I feel like a parakeet in a bird cage!..but it does keep the top of my bald head from being sunburnt,and it'll be appreciated when it snows too I'm sure,even if I dont use the doors and windsheild..

I'm curious if your Custom 7 has the hi and low range Suburban style tranny,or the "regular" 3 speed one??..both of my Compacts have the 3 speed tranny,no low or high range..
I'm not sure the 6 speed tranny would fit in them or not,the chassis looks similar to a Custom or Suburban,its shorter than a Suburban but looks to be the same length as a Custom,but there's no place for the "range" knob to come out and the mounting at the axle is different..maybe the Compacts are a breed all their own,because I have seen lots of Customs and they all had the 6 speed..
I like the Compacts,as their name suggests,they ARE "compact" and fit in tight places a Suburban cant fit and are more manuverable,but every bit as rugged as their bigger brothers..if I had a deck for mine ,I'd probably keep both of them,but I dont have enough uses to justify keeping 6 tractors around ,so they might be getting sold off if I get a fair offer for them..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Tractor-Holic,
Yea the cab seemed like a birdcage to me also. I had not seen it on the tractor since I was a kid back in the 70's and I had the vision in my head that is was a lot bigger, but that was from an eight year old's perspective.
It does not have the high/low range or the three speed, it has the four speed. Well I will call it a three speed though because the detents are worn out for 2nd and it has to be held in gear, something I would like to take care of this fall maby.
The rear frame sections look very similar too me on most of the different models I have seen but never measured them, I don't have the cut-out for the high/low range shifter in this frame either.
Keith

·
Registered
590 Posts
:MTF_wel2: nice lookin machine you got there!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Chopper,
69, yea I think it's kinda cool, not too many out there.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures.
I had a 1968 just like it. I bout it to mow the lawn at my first house. I just got out of high school and bought a $6500 2 bedroom house on an acre. I planted a garden and mowed with it. Sad to say one of my X wives got the tractor and took it to the dump instead of selling it or giving it back to me.
That one is in great shap. You will have fun restoring it.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
For those wanting one just like it--here's your chance!..

RI Craigslist "Farm & Garden" listing--posting # 1282722004....140 bucks!..:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts