My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get a new brake band for a Custom 6 model 917.99520? I have suppliers that carry brake lining material, some of it is even flexible but they don't think it will squeeze around that tight. In lieu of brake material, what about a leather strip? Think it will work or will it just glaze up and be ineffective? Thanks....Todd

·
15,000 +posts!
20,549 Posts
Probably wont last long....I'd look around at mower shops for another brake band that could be modified off of some other make,or perhaps the ones Northern Tool sells for go-karts can be adapted..another thing that might work is a band from an automatic tranny--maybe a tranny shop has some you can get if you go dumpster diving...I know of a few guys who used a section of a serpentine fan belt as the lining too,but they did not expect it to have a long life..

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the tranny idea, havent thought f that one. Thats why I like this place, you will usually get 155 different ways and ideas to make something work.:thanku:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Themidniteryder,

I just rebuilt my strap brake, bend the following fairly slowly at room temp and you will have no problems.
McMaster-Carr has exactly what you need. Part numbers below. It's working great!

6175K111 NONMETALLIC MOLDED BRAKE AND CLUTCH LINING, 3/16" THICK, 1" WIDTH, 12" LENGTH $2.66

7541A76 EPOXY ADHESIVE IN EASY-DISPENSING SYRINGE, BEGINS TO HARDEN @ 3-6 MINS, .85 OZ, LIGHT AMBER 1
EA $4.44

Clean and sand the metal band before epoxy.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Themidniteryder,

I just rebuilt my strap brake, bend the following fairly slowly at room temp and you will have no problems.
McMaster-Carr has exactly what you need. Part numbers below. It's working great!

6175K111 NONMETALLIC MOLDED BRAKE AND CLUTCH LINING, 3/16" THICK, 1" WIDTH, 12" LENGTH $2.66

7541A76 EPOXY ADHESIVE IN EASY-DISPENSING SYRINGE, BEGINS TO HARDEN @ 3-6 MINS, .85 OZ, LIGHT AMBER 1
EA $4.44

Clean and sand the metal band before epoxy.

Hope this helps,

Dave
:thanku: Dave it does help. I actually talked to a rep with McMaster Carr last night and they didn't think it would be that flexible, but if it has worked for you I am willing to try it. I need to order some brake material for another project anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was a bit skeptical about it working too ... I think the key is to not bend it too fast. I just flexed it slowly and held it in an arc for a few minutes then opened the metal band a bit also so it had a radius of around 6-8". I used some 80 grit emery cloth to rough up the metal then cleaned it off and applied the epoxy. Before the epoxy was fully hardened, I slowly bent the metal back into shape (approx. 4" radius) and placed it between some heavy objects to hold it in shape, making sure that the lining was seated nicely.

You will likely have some epoxy squeeze out along the edges but that's ok, sand if off later if you need to but it's probably not necessary.
Take a little extra care when re-installing the band so that it lines up well with the drum, took me a couple of tries to get it straight.

Adjust the band so that it starts to brake when the clutch just begins to free the belt then tighten the lock nut.

You'll be good to go (er ... stop, I mean).

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts