My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I figured now would be a good time to post a thread about what I am doing to get my tractor ready for the local 4h tractor pull. It is a stock pull, so things are kept relativly simple.

First off was my hook placement. The hook is a 3/8 hook, because the chain that it it will be attaching to is 3/8. I wanted to find a way to get it up high so I had good leverage and therefore got better traction. Here's what I came up with:

Next up will be the wheelie bars. I have all the materials and i cut them down to size. Just waiting for a friend to give me permission to use his welder. I will post pics of the wheelie bars as soon as i have them done!

More to come!
-Will :thThumbsU

P.S. I AM GOING TO BEAT HUGH!!!!! :sorry1: :hide: jk, his ss16 is a beast!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I dont think thats a good place for that hook.
It need to be on the hitch plate to be strong enough. where you have it that weld will brake or bend.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
It need to be on the hitch plate to be strong enough. where you have it that weld will brake or bend.
:ditto:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think your hitch point is too high, your going to be doing a constant wheelie down the track. I think your going to want a lower hitch point, say where those top two holes are on your draw bar plate. If you bolt a piece of angle iron there you can run your hook right off of that. Also, depending on how much weight your going to be pulling, is that red piece of angle iron your current setup is bolted to going to be strong enough? It looks a little thin.

Edit: the other guys beat me to it!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am going to weld another supporting piece that will get welded onto the attachment. that way it will be like 1/4" steel holding it together.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your hitch point is too high, your going to be doing a constant wheelie down the track. I think your going to want a lower hitch point, say where those top two holes are on your draw bar plate. If you bolt a piece of angle iron there you can run your hook right off of that. Also, depending on how much weight your going to be pulling, is that red piece of angle iron your current setup is bolted to going to be strong enough? It looks a little thin.

Edit: the other guys beat me to it!

as i said, I am going to weld another piece at the angle so it doesn't bend. and as for the positioning, I am going to weight the front down. I have the plow on it, (60lbs) then i am going to put another 60-70lbs on it, and can add more as needed. I plan on doing a test pull beforehand, just to make sure verything works out! If it doesn't i'll have time to fix and rebuild.

Thanks for the advice
-Will

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are there any rules for this pull or do you plan on doing any pulling outside of the 4H? New England Garden Tractor Pullers, the association I'm looking into, has a maximum hitch height of 13 inches, I'm sure many other associations are the same.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there any rules for this pull or do you plan on doing any pulling outside of the 4H? New England Garden Tractor Pullers, the association I'm looking into, has a maximum hitch height of 13 inches, I'm sure many other associations are the same.

there arent any rules to how high your hitch has to be, i've asked!

·
Banned
2 Posts
i do agree with the rest of them the hitch is to high ...Myself i would put it in the middle way...You can put all the weight you want on the front to hold it down ..But by doing that you are bogging the tractor down ....I know you want to get the rear tiers to hook ..I understand this as i have a pro street race car and have my fare share of trying to make it hook ...If you can find the center point just before the front starts to lift thats where i would place the hitch ..I could be wrong and be way off here but its just a guess

·
Registered
348 Posts
hate too tell you i dont care if you put 150lbs of weight in the front that hitch is way to high you need to use the bottom holes on your plate(believe me friend of mine pulled sears for about 10 years he has the setup all figured out and ive got most of it down)that is a big safety hazard even if you have wheely bars your still gonna stand it on the bars or worse flip the tractor over..if you still don't believe me there's nothing else i can do we have all told you to move it its too high but do what ever you want too do i am just trying too help.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Hey, smarty pants, the hitch is way to HIGH!:banghead3

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
guysssss chill! lol i already came up with plans for a new hitch point!! :chillpill:chillpill:chillpill:chillpill

and sorry, this is only my second pull here, i dont have a lot of expierience

i'll post the plans for my new hitch in a little bit! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
11 Posts
NO problem , sounds like hes on the right path now, I hang weights right in front of the rear wheels to, a little bit goes a long ways down the track

·
Registered
21 Posts
COAL SMOKE,

That is the baddest little tractor I have ever seen! Tell us a little more about it... I know virtually nothing about pulling, but I can tell when a guy know his stuff:thThumbsU

CJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
thank you, but i wish i could take all the credit, luckily i have some kick *** buddys. one works at a local body shop and did the custom paint and the other helped me put the 18 HP cam in the 16 HP kohler. Its a late modle 716, with a few custom body parts, i myself am just getting into pulling had last winter off and built this one, now back to work currently in mexico so missing alot off local pulls. justd joind and enjoying this fourm and trying to learn more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would say that the top two holes would be the best place to mount a hitch point, using a hook as in the picture. A piece of angle iron bolted across, with a center hole for the hook pin ?? Our hitch point is lower on this SS, as per the rules for our class, and the front end still likes to come up....

...so I think the top two holes on the hitch plate, would give you plenty of leverage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts