1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
volfandt-thank you for that link. I did stumble across it on a search but wanted to re-read it again and I was unable to find it.

Was hoping to find specific info on the '09 Kohler engines, dealers don't seem to be able to tell me what model is used.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Dusted, thats actually a pretty good question. I did some searching on the GH540V - GH740V engines and some hits came back as Kubota air cooled and a few others came back as Kohler air cooled. I went to Kohlers site and they are not listed there and I couldn't nail it down that Kubota makes them as http://www.kubotaengine.com/products/en_lineup.html doesn't list them either.
I'm finding it very interesting that this engine can't be nailed down to a particular manufacturer......

To add to this emerging mystery, the electric starter can apparantly be used on the Kubota GH's as well as Kawasaki and some Kohler air cooled engines too!

Very interesting :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I may have found the answer to my question, a dealer contacted me and said that the engine used in the T series is the Courage, disappointing to find this out. You don't get the Command until you buy the GR gasser.

Amazing, an engine that even the manufacturer describes as for the consumer market in use by a manufacturer that is -supposed- to be high end.

·
Eccentric Englishman
796 Posts
If you want a good machine (and you clearly do if you are considering Kubota) then just buy the diesel and be done with it.
It'll cost more now, but in fuel and maintenance savings, not to mention extended lifespan, it will quickly make up for the additional cost.

If I were buying a new GT now I wouldn't even bother looking further than a GR diesel.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Well I may have found the answer to my question, a dealer contacted me and said that the engine used in the T series is the Courage, disappointing to find this out. You don't get the Command until you buy the GR gasser.

Amazing, an engine that even the manufacturer describes as for the consumer market in use by a manufacturer that is -supposed- to be high end.
Now thats VERY interesting..... Theres no GH's listed under any of the Kohler Courage engine listings.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productMatrix.htm
I've never owned a Courage powered machine so I don't have any hands-on with them. I do know that theres quite a few of them out there.
Whats surprising is that they are, or have been considered as an entry level power plant while the Kubota LT's reside in the premium level of LT offerings, both in price and quality.
So, what you possibly have here is an entry level engine in a premium model LT.....
If so, questions that beg to asked are:
Is this major change in Kubota's marketing strategy?
Are the new T models less expensive than the previous models?
If the GH really is a Kohler Courage, what differentiates it from the Courage SV & SH, Courage Pro SV and Courage XT series' engines?

Jim, agree on the diesel. Altho I still have a soft spot for my old Kohler K's :D :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The older Kohlers were, perhaps, the best small engine ever made-my neighbor still uses an old tiller, early 60's, and the engine runs perfectly-and to be fair, the engines made by most everyone else back then were very, very good products...

But to market a 'premium' grade tractor with a consumer grade engine is, well, incomprehensible-having to remove bodywork to get to the engine is nuts; :ROF AND, Kubota even cut corners with the GR gasser-an all wheel drive lawntractor, pushing 7 large and you get a Kohler 'command'!!!

Astounding to me, there should be a premium Kawasaki or Honda and liquid cooled to boot.

As I mentioned, there is no compelling reason to purchase a Kubota gasser.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Had to stop by my local Kubota dealer today and while there I asked about the T series engines. They had a used 04 model out on the lot and it had a Kohler CV Command engine.
We then started researching what the new T series came w/and with alot of digging, they dug out a WSM on the T1880 and it was infact a Kohler Courage.
I don't know if this is the 1st yr of the T series using the Courage but that is what's coming on them now.

Ironically, there as a ZG227 sitting on the showroom floor w/a Kubota 27hp gasser in it. My friend the sales rep indicated it must be a $$$'s thing on the T series and that they hardly carried them.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tnks for the info. It really is an astounding decision by Kubota to use such low end power for the gassers- and the engine choice becomes even more confusing when you look at the replacement costs of the model Kohlers that Kubota is using-you can get Honda GX's and Kawasaki's for LESS than the Commands-used in the GR, and the Courage.....

By the way, NEVER let the salesperson start the 3cyl gasser for you, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can WITH your hands over your ears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Volfandt, your info is correct. Kubota just confirmed your post: BUT should anyone want to lay out just north of 7 large for a GR gasser you'll get the Kohler 'Command'-bizarre.

AND, Kubota says there are no plans to change the engine offerings in the near future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts