My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, will axles from a 400 series tractor fit in a 200 series rear axle housing housing?

also, what is the differeance between the 200 and 400 series spindles? Will 400 series spindles fit on a 200 frame and if so what will the outcome be? Just curious

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I could technically take the axles out of a 200 series tractors and slide in some 400 series axles and then be able to bolt on 400 series wheels once the fenders are swapped? And I can swap out 200 series spindles for 400 series ones to get the tractor to be level again?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im trying to weigh out my options for this 224 I have sitting here. I might use it to plow since the blade will go down the extra 2" w/o there being a big problem

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
so I could technically take the axles out of a 200 series tractors and slide in some 400 series axles and then be able to bolt on 400 series wheels once the fenders are swapped? And I can swap out 200 series spindles for 400 series ones to get the tractor to be level again?
No, the 400 series are 6 inches wider than the 200. You would need a complete front axle and spindles for the swap. The 400 spindles are bigger diameter than the 200 where they go into the axle. The rear end however, just swap out the axles and then you are good to go. The drive motor will yield different speed for the 200 and 400.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 400 series frames are 6" wider????? I never heard that before? Or are you referring to the front axle itself?

Im just looking to toy around with this tractor. I still have a 220 that gets used for all yard work

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
As earlier poster noted, they will fit. BUT, with the 200 motor running 16" wheels, there is a large loss of torque but a big gain in speed. I did that on a 446, made a great mower but lousy tractor. It would have been near worthless with a front blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts