My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Cub LT1050 2005 model with a Kohler Command 26hp. Recently the mower began smoking so Lowes warranty had a shop pick it up. The shop said bad carb and lowes would not pay. Talked to local Lowes store and the said they would pay and that the shop that lowes warranty sent to pick up my mower was very shady. Anyway, they are trying to work out an even trade with me on a John Deere LA175 that has about 10 hours on it. My mower has 130 hours on it. Is this a no brainer or should I continue to have Lowes fix my mower?
Thanks!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
If the Deere is in good shape I would trade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mowers are very comparable. The cub has a 50" cut, the Deere has a 54" cut. Both have a 26 hp but the cub has a Kohler Command and the Deere has a Briggs & Stratton. I still think something else is wrong with my Kohler other than a carb because there is oil on the right side of the engine and frame. I also have taken very good care of this mower/engine. The problem is that I know a new Kohler Command would cost about $2000.000 to have installed and I'm not sure what the Briggs & Strattons are worth. Although I wouldn't have to pay for either, I still want to make the right decision.

·
Premium Member
10,181 Posts
It sure sounds like a deal. I would answer these questions and then make your decision: Will Lowes warranty the Deere with 10 hours? Do you know what it's story is (demo, return. etc.)? Will your attachments fit? Will they exchange the bagger if you have one?

It sounds like you have questions about your Cub, even though you've cared for it. I think the Deere will hold it's value better, just because of the Deere name, not that there is anything wrong with Cub. I would take the newer Deere.

·
Banned
2,369 Posts
that new of tractor?? NEITHER. talk about the 70s-80s 200-300 series Deere vs an old wide frame or Quiet line Cub with the cast irom single cyl Kohlers??
or an "82" series Cub??? now we are talking a wash. I'd take either one.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would have too agree with Don B. I doubt if you will see one of these "new" mowers still mowin' 20 yrs from now.

I've looked at both, and I'm not impressed. These companys made their name from quality machines. Now, they're makin sales on their name only. Quality went out the window.

That's my 2 cents, good luck

·
Sorry to hear about the Cub.

It's very rare to see a Command go out like
that.

Just a question. Did you run straight 30W?

Steve

·
Registered
179 Posts
that new of tractor?? NEITHER. talk about the 70s-80s 200-300 series Deere vs an old wide frame or Quiet line Cub with the cast irom single cyl Kohlers??
or an "82" series Cub??? now we are talking a wash. I'd take either one.
Yeah, but it doesn't sound like he has a choice. I doubt his Lowes has any 70s-80s to swap with him.

I would try to find out the story behind the Deere machine, but if it checks out, just the reduced number of hours on it would be nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I just cranked the mower (Cub) and it is blowing oil. I can see it dripping onto the exhaust and dripping from a couple of bolts. Am I wrong in thinking that there is no way a bad carb could cause this? The shop told me the only thing wrong was a bad carb and it would cost $400.00 to fix. Lowes is picking my mower up Thursday or Friday and they now want to have someone else look at it before making a decision.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I would have too agree with Don B. I doubt if you will see one of these "new" mowers still mowin' 20 yrs from now.

I've looked at both, and I'm not impressed. These companys made their name from quality machines. Now, they're makin sales on their name only. Quality went out the window.

That's my 2 cents, good luck

wow, I've just recently started looking into the past at the quality of mowers vs. what you get now for the money. Ya, I don't want to start a fight, but your exactly right, everyone seems like they are making money for the name and not quality. I just spent out $3700 for a new Cub GT2544 and my hood popped less than a week after having it. My little boy has John Deere underwear, but that doesn't make him poop any better... Everyone will sell their name brand off for a dollar now days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts