My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced a broken drive belt on my zero turn mower and now the new belt is slipping. What could cause this? The old belt did not slip, I replaced because it broke. Thanks for any help.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Cub belt or off brand?

·
Registered
309 Posts
What made the old belt break? age, weak belt tension spring(s), frozen or dry bearings in pulley overheated belt, out of adjustment and slapping other items that cut/weakened belt.

New belt. Too long, not routed correctly, tension spring weak or broken, off-brand/factory size mismarked package, belt dimensions not correct in pitch or width to properly fit pulleys.

Worse scenario is sheared keyway on a part and requires disassembly to fix.

Just look things over slowly and compare belts to size, length, width and belt routing, then go to each component that belt rides on or in and see what's out of place to make belt slip.

Del

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is an off brand belt. The old belt was worn badly. It did come off about a week ago. Pulley seems fine. I can spin it pretty easily. I can smell the belt so I don't think it is a sheared keyway. I am going to order a cub belt and pulley and see if that helps. As far as belt routing, where can I find a diagram. I think I have it right.

Thanks for your help!

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
You should be able to find the manual online for free, should show the routing diagram.

It's typical that off brand belts cause problems on many machines... It's always best to use the factory branded belts. That's why I asked.

·
forkz
5,793 Posts
i replaced a drive belt on z 50 4maby 5 years ago old one was wore out got a cub no problems get the cub belt

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Glad you got it going again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts