My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2734 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: 2015 Cub Cadet XT Enduro

Hunter have you bought one. You could see if it lives up to your expectations as yours seams to be pretty high.
Not yet, I have been looking most of year deciding what to buy, but am glad I waited. I drove the JD300 and have used there lawn tractors. They are nice but the price for a machine to mow a large city lot seems over priced. Sometimes a company can charge more than they need to not that its not worth compared to what's out there. With the redesigned CC it sounds like the gap has closed. I do like the option of a manual PTO but want to wait and see the variations in the X2 which seems to be the level I am interested. I called the dealer and they are waiting to see the allotment they will get for this fall. I liked the CC 1042KW and the X2 should be better. Like all things time will tell, that's not to say there wont be some issues like with any new model that's being introduced.

·
Cub Cadet Junkie
124 Posts
Re: Cub Cadet XT Enduro

Got a little information from the dealer today. They could place orders the last couple weeks for immediate delivery and spring delivery. They appeared to be limited to a max of 8 units for immediate delivery and my smallish local dealer took all 8.

I asked if they were a supplement to the 1000 / 2000 series but they are replacements. It looks like the XT1 is low end lawn tractor, XT2 is medium lawn tractor (or one of the high end 1000 series) and the XT3 is a replacement for the entire 2000 series. He said he is still getting information from Cub Cadet but mentioned it is a ground-up platform change, with better pulleys, belts, less play in the steering, etc. Stamped and fabricated decks, limited slip on some models. Believe based on the pictures that the XT3 is still shaft drive. He also said that the current line up is a mix of Tuff Torq and Hydrogear but that all the XT's will be Tuff Torq. No word yet on which ones.

He expects them to trickle in to his dealer in the next week or two so if you want to see one they are coming soon.

I hope they designed the XT3 to be a little closer to a garden tractor than the 2000 series. They called the 2000 series a garden tractor but to me a garden tractor has the possibility of running a 3 point and hydraulics. I don't expect either of these but who knows.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

Next time I'm at Home Depot or TSC I will have to look and see if they have these tractors.
(Although I may be a little late, they already have snow blowers out)

·
Cub Cadet Junkie
124 Posts

Next time I'm at Home Depot or TSC I will have to look and see if they have these tractors.
(Although I may be a little late, they already have snow blowers out)
I don't think they will have them til spring, for a couple reasons. (1) A CC rep told me they were showing the new XT series last week to Farm & Fleet and the dealers just saw them about a month ago in Nashville, I think it was. (2) All of the TSC's / etc. around here still have the 1000 series, in many cases quite dusty from sitting outside, so I'm guessing they will want to blow those out first.

I'd bet on the dealers having them very soon though. 1-2 weeks is what the local dealer told me.

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts

Got a little information from the dealer today. They could place orders the last couple weeks for immediate delivery and spring delivery. They appeared to be limited to a max of 8 units for immediate delivery and my smallish local dealer took all 8.

I asked if they were a supplement to the 1000 / 2000 series but they are replacements. It looks like the XT1 is low end lawn tractor, XT2 is medium lawn tractor (or one of the high end 1000 series) and the XT3 is a replacement for the entire 2000 series. He said he is still getting information from Cub Cadet but mentioned it is a ground-up platform change, with better pulleys, belts, less play in the steering, etc. Stamped and fabricated decks, limited slip on some models. Believe based on the pictures that the XT3 is still shaft drive. He also said that the current line up is a mix of Tuff Torq and Hydrogear but that all the XT's will be Tuff Torq. No word yet on which ones.

He expects them to trickle in to his dealer in the next week or two so if you want to see one they are coming soon.

I hope they designed the XT3 to be a little closer to a garden tractor than the 2000 series. They called the 2000 series a garden tractor but to me a garden tractor has the possibility of running a 3 point and hydraulics. I don't expect either of these but who knows.
Well the 2500 & early 2000 series Cubs where Garden tractors they took a electric lift sleeve Hitch & a 30inch Hydraulic driven Tiller or In the case of the early 2000 series 28inch Belt driven PTO Tiller. I'll just be Happy if they actually Build a OEM sleeve Hitch for the XT3 I couldn't Understand MTD Marketing the Current 2000 series as a Garden tractor when they didn't produce a tiller Or a sleeve Hitch for them. Yet when they Introduced the Line at a Dealers show In 2011 They Had a Sleeve Hitch & a Tiller Mounted On them. Yet once Production Came MTD choose not to Manufacture either for the Current 2000 series line:thThumbsU

·
Cub Cadet Junkie
124 Posts

Sorry for the confusion, when I said 2000 series I meant the relatively new (2012? up LTX2000 series) that share the same look as the LTX1000 series (but have shaft drive). I agree with your assessment, they keep calling the current 2000 series Garden Tractors but as far as I can tell they are not. On their site are no ground engaging attachments (I don't count a snow thrower or snow blade) or even a sleeve hitch. I don't expect the XT3's to offer ground engaging tools but one can hope. My ears did perk up on some of the other changes. LED lights (I thought the current lights were cheap / flimsy when they came out), tighter steering (thought that the play in the column made it seem cheap, like a low end lawn tractor), etc. As my garden tractor needs are met with other machines of mine I am interested in a truly nice, durable lawn mower.

·
Cub Cadet Junkie
124 Posts

Stopped by the dealer today to pick up some parts for my 782. They just got in 2 XT2's and had one unwrapped and in the showroom. Very pretty. Pricing isn't out yet but he told me that the one they had (XT2, Kawasaki engine, 42" deck) would be around $1799.

First impression is it is a very nice lawn tractor for the price. Obviously, it is no garden tractor. The main points are the same as I mentioned before, plus the engine has been lowered in the chassis (belt alignment?) and it has dual linkage steering with Ackerman which means that it can turn tight without the front tires fighting each other and gouging the lawn. Interestingly, the steering gear (column, gears) are above the chassis deck, not below and hidden. It looks very easy to keep these clean and greased but I was surprised there wasn't a cover (may be on purpose). The steering column did seem less "floppy" than the current 1000 series model. The seat is more of a soft rubber and looks cheaper than the previous ones which I believe were fabric over foam. But it is a high back type seat.

The headlights are much better. LED, not a "sealed" design but much better than the current ones. Hood is still a little "floppy". It is the same type of plastic as the current ones.

This XT2 has a Kawasaki engine. From what the dealer told me it sounds like the XT1 will have a Kohler engine and the XT2 will have a Kawasaki engine with 42" and 46" decks. I don't know what the XT1 has, no spec sheets yet. I can't tell if the transmission is lesser in the XT1 although from what the dealer said before, ALL the XT's will have the Tuff Torque. I am guessing the XT2 will have a K46. I might see if I can get some pics and take a look tomorrow.

More info on the XT3 which is meant to replace the 2000 series. Since the 2000 series was gone through just a couple years ago it's really just a new hood and paint with no further revisions.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Kinda funny, I called the dealer that told me about when they see sales rep they would know how many Riders they will get this fall. Tis time I must have talked to a different employee he didn't even know CC had a new mower out and I had to tell him about them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

Don't see very many actual commercial mowers with a stamped deck if that tells anyone anything...

·
Registered
841 Posts

Because only ONE company has invested in the press and tooling to stamp a deck from 7gauge/commercial thickness steel, and that is John Deere.

·
Registered
111 Posts

That's the advantage of being the benchmark. You are not chasing the benchmark with constant model overhauls and can invest in long term machinery.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Because only ONE company has invested in the press and tooling to stamp a deck from 7gauge/commercial thickness steel, and that is John Deere.
For the comparison of the unofficial lawn tractor the JD300 as the standard it has a 12 gauge stamped deck the same as the Cub Cadet. For those just starting to read this thread comparing the two riders both also have Kawasaki motors, K46 Trannies, Both e coated before powder coated paint for a start.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Hokie if you ever get to go on a tour of the JD Horicon stamping plant area you would just love to see that press. When it is working you can feel each stamp in the floor. The other interesting thing about that press the guide told us is JD has been using it since they started stampin decks in 1964. I don't know how long the dies last but that is a very good investment in the press. 50 years old this year. Roger

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Hokie if you ever get to go on a tour of the JD Horicon stamping plant area you would just love to see that press. When it is working you can feel each stamp in the floor. The other interesting thing about that press the guide told us is JD has been using it since they started stampin decks in 1964. I don't know how long the dies last but that is a very good investment in the press. 50 years old this year. Roger
That's why stamped decks are cheaper to make they just keep getting parts out of the same equipment. I am surprised they haven't modified it for better lift to mulch the grass. Maybe they have but its not obvious.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

They have made 10+ deck designs useing that machine(maybe 20). The dies are what makes the deck not the press. The press just stamps them in the dies. When I was there about 5 years ago they were by changing the dies making 3 different decks. I am sure the number they make now is more and I suspect the dies are kept on the chance of needing to use them again. For example the last 2 years of the first 200 series tractor JD made a 2 blade hi lift deck using the basic shell that was first used on the 108 to 116 series. The press is the cheap part (only millions) and the dies are the expensive part and the dies need continual repair and up keep. Roger

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

They have made 10+ deck designs useing that machine(maybe 20). The dies are what makes the deck not the press. The press just stamps them in the dies. When I was there about 5 years ago they were by changing the dies making 3 different decks. I am sure the number they make now is more and I suspect the dies are kept on the chance of needing to use them again. For example the last 2 years of the first 200 series tractor JD made a 2 blade hi lift deck using the basic shell that was first used on the 108 to 116 series. The press is the cheap part (only millions) and the dies are the expensive part and the dies need continual repair and up keep. Roger
For mass production the same press could have many dies put through it and make any number of parts. The dies do cost a lot but they are used thousands of times if set up properly before any PM is needed I'm pretty sure. Most all mass produced parts are made this way as parts made in forms or jigs are very labor intensive and you don't get the volume of a press. The thing I like about stamped decks are the smooth lines for air or grass flow. I miss understood I thought they ran the same deck, that would makes sense since the decks now compared to wha0-15 s ago are a lot deeper.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

That part of the plant has about 10 different sized presses. They stamp fender decks on one near that press but it isn't as big because the fender decks are thinner metal and generally smaller than the mower decks. As you said the dies are moved around according to what manufacturing needs. The 1963 JD 110s used a fabricated deck so JD made about 1000 of that kind. The 1964s started with the first 38 inch stamped decks that evolved over time into a 38 inch cut and a 46 inch cut decks used up to about 1987. There were other decks being made at the same time for other tractors in the line up. My 345 which was built in 1997 had the option of 4 different stamped decks. A 38 inch convertable, 44 inch Piranha 6 blade mulching deck, 48 inch convertable deck and a 54 inch deck. Roger

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts

Transmissions for XT 1 & XT 2 Tractors

XT1-GT50 K58G

XT1-GT54 FAB K58

XT1-LT42 K46DM

XT1-LT46 FAB K46DM

XT1-LT46 K46

XT1-LT50 K46

XT1-LT54 FAB K46

XT1-LT54 Tractor K46

XT2-GX54 FAB K58

XT2-LX42 K46

XT2-LX46 FAB K46 ETC

XT2-LX46 K46

XT2-LX50 K46

XT2-LX54 FAB K46 ETC

XT2-LX54 K46
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
761 Posts

Not much to write home about. Looks like the XT2 with the 42" deck will have the same engine and transmission as my LTX 1042 KW. They may have dropped the price since what I'm hearing as list (~$1800) is what I paid when list was closer to $2k. From what I'm seeing of the line-up the dealers aren't going to have a "premium" offering (i.e. the Kawasaki engine and Tuff Torq transmission) over the box stores. Unless they aren't going to sell the XT2 through the big box stores.

The Bluetooth is stupid. I wish they'd spent the extra money on a headlight switch. The LEDs should last longer but will be more expensive to replace. You need headlights like what, 2% of the time you use the machine? I don't have an issue with the steering. One of the big selling points for me was the 1042 had the tightest turning radius in the industry. With my yard that coupled with the "mow in reverse" are a big deal.

Not wild about the color scheme. Dropping the cream sort of loses the CC image. That grill treatment looks like a Ford truck. I'm a Ford fan ('65 Mustang GT coupe) but don't really care for that grill. I hope they've added and labeled jacking points and support points. It seems changing a front tire on the current models is dang near impossible unless you have a front bumper.

41 - 60 of 2734 Posts