My Tractor Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2746 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
OK__I have to report on the little item that I picked up when I bought my XT2.
Got a Cub tractor cover (for cost)---I normally store my unit under an outside carport (but w/ sides almost to ground) on asphalt pavement,
After each use--I clean it good--and then cover w/ the above mentioned item if not going to be used weekly.

This cover fits pretty well--says it fits lawn tractors up to 54",,-of course, not over the two-bin bagger, but always down to the edge off the deck, and part of the wheels. Of course--the front bush guard sticks out ,too. Cover is made of some kind of porous material--heavy made, with elastic drawstring around the bottom. Does the job for me....:fing32:

glenn
I have a couple of motorcycle covers I got at Big Lots on clearance for $7.99. They work great if you need to leave one outside for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of any changes for the 2017 model year for the XT series?
No, I haven't heard of any changes. Of interest may be the latest Consumer Reports ratings on lawn tractors. One and two on their list is the Craftsman 20442 and the John Deer X350 both were scored at 78 points, third was the Cub Cadet XT1 46" with the 22 HP Kohler engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Cub Cadet in third had 77 points despite having a high frequency of repairs. I wanted to edit this in but for some reason this forum will not allow me to edit my posts, why?

·
16,274 Posts
The Cub Cadet in third had 77 points despite having a high frequency of repairs. I wanted to edit this in but for some reason this forum will not allow me to edit my posts, why?
////////////////////////

Tom--you, as a poster, can only go back and 'edit' that particular post for only so long after you do the original. There is a time limit on it, but I am not sure what that is.....then the little 'edit' box disappears..

glenn

·
Registered
20 Posts
////////////////////////

Tom--you, as a poster, can only go back and 'edit' that particular post for only so long after you do the original. There is a time limit on it, but I am not sure what that is.....then the little 'edit' box disappears..

glenn
Thank you for the reply Glenn, I kind of thought it was like that. Probably something the Administrators could change? How about having that feature set to a longer time period or eliminating it completely. I sometimes have occasion to look at my old posts and when I find things wrong, either technically or grammatical, I would like to correct them.

·
16,274 Posts
Well--here's my thoughts/findings so far on my XT2 (46" fab deck)..
About 15 hours use so far. Won't use it for next couple weeks a I just aerated and seeded my homestead...
PRO'S

1. It's a nice machine-overall quality is pretty good. You can see where they cut corners on some stuff.(like everything else made nowadays.)
2. Engine is plenty powerful--pulls good thru any kind of terrain, so far.
Even wet ditch/water hole a few weeks ago--pulled right up out of there....
3. Steers easily--just wider turning than my previous mower w. 42" deck.
Have to allow for that--don't try to use the 'cruise' in tight area's--won't do good.

CON'S

1. Chute assembly/bagger poorly made, IMHO, doesn't fit tight together and blows grass clippings out the side/rear corners.
2. Does use more gas than previous mower, but much bigger engine.
And more weight to push along...
3. Mower deck spindle's have no grease fittings--info say's "Sealed life-time bearings"--The salesman assured me that they were 'like auto bearings'...
But with the way the deck guards fit over the spindles--you couldn't get to them anyway. My thoughts would be--put a hole--maybe an 1-1/2" around in each side of the spindle's cover for the end of a grease gun to fit on--and a fitting in the spindle--with NO sealed bearings inside. Couple pumps on each side once in a while--and ~Viola! How much more would that cost?
4. Dealer does not/will not come off price at all--no matter how old machine is..still had two on his lot from last season....
Guess they don't have to 'bargin' anymore..:dunno:
But service work and parts is where they make up the $$.
5. No 'mulch plug' --per say, for my deck, if I didn't want to bag. You have to buy a mulch kit, with three metal baffles/screws and a different set of blades to the tune of $199.00.,.No other options from the manufacturer--I'll have to see what I can rig up.

Just my .02

glenn

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,014
Well--here's my thoughts/findings so far on my XT2 (46" fab deck)..
About 15 hours use so far. Won't use it for next couple weeks a I just aerated and seeded my homestead...
PRO'S

1. It's a nice machine-overall quality is pretty good. You can see where they cut corners on some stuff.(like everything else made nowadays.)
2. Engine is plenty powerful--pulls good thru any kind of terrain, so far.
Even wet ditch/water hole a few weeks ago--pulled right up out of there....
3. Steers easily--just wider turning than my previous mower w. 42" deck.
Have to allow for that--don't try to use the 'cruise' in tight area's--won't do good.

CON'S

1. Chute assembly/bagger poorly made, IMHO, doesn't fit tight together and blows grass clippings out the side/rear corners.
2. Does use more gas than previous mower, but much bigger engine.
And more weight to push along...
3. Mower deck spindle's have no grease fittings--info say's "Sealed life-time bearings"--The salesman assured me that they were 'like auto bearings'...
But with the way the deck guards fit over the spindles--you couldn't get to them anyway. My thoughts would be--put a hole--maybe an 1-1/2" around in each side of the spindle's cover for the end of a grease gun to fit on--and a fitting in the spindle--with NO sealed bearings inside. Couple pumps on each side once in a while--and ~Viola! How much more would that cost?
4. Dealer does not/will not come off price at all--no matter how old machine is..still had two on his lot from last season....
Guess they don't have to 'bargin' anymore..:dunno:
But service work and parts is where they make up the $$.
5. No 'mulch plug' --per say, for my deck, if I didn't want to bag. You have to buy a mulch kit, with three metal baffles/screws and a different set of blades to the tune of $199.00.,.No other options from the manufacturer--I'll have to see what I can rig up.

Just my .02

glenn
What do you mean no mulch plug, mine was about 59 dollars. They dont have any baffles but it is a plug.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Although I have pretty much the lowest HP rated engine you can get in the XT2 series tractors, my Kawasaki FR600V engine has given me great fuel ecomony. I get a solid amount of mowing time in before I have to top off the tank. My old Toro Wheelhorse with a Briggs engine got worse fuel economy from what I can tell.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If you're toro had opposed twin it would suck some fuel.
The non ohv briggs were thirsty compared to ohv too.
I have a vanguard twin that is quiet and great on fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're toro had opposed twin it would suck some fuel.
The non ohv briggs were thirsty compared to ohv too.
I have a vanguard twin that is quiet and great on fuel.
Although this is owned by my Grandma, I service it and sometimes cut her grass with it (my dad does it most of the time). But it seems to me like the Briggs in this uses more fuel than my Kawasaki. It has a INTEK 465cc OHV engine.

However, notice the mulch plug on this mower. It is designed 10 times better than the CC plug. It's solid, bolts on, and has no holes or loose areas where grass slips through. 100% better in every way than the cheap crap CC offers. (The main thing I really dislike about my CC if you can't tell)

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,019
I like the mulch plug, it would e more than a quick removal with nuts and bolts. The grass it leaks seals up pretty quick with how good the mower cuts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hunter thats cool that you like it. I mean everyone likes and dislikes their own things. But in my opinion, Cub Cadet really used cost cutting measures on the plug. Compare that Toro plug pic above with these and to me the cost cutting is clear. The Toro design doesn't leak at all, not one blade of grass. I mean read what you said, you even stated that the cut grass seals up the areas that don't fit tight on the Cub. Why should we have to wait until the grass seals it up? It should be designed to not need "sealing up" Oh well, I still love the mower.

Attachments

2001 - 2020 of 2746 Posts