My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a cub cadet 2166 lawn tractor that wont crank. Tractor has always run great until I was mowing the other day, shut it off to take a phone call and 10 min later tried to start it and no crank. I replaced the battery aswell as the starter, battery reads 12.6 so seems like plenty of juice. Looking for other ideas on what it might be causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Is the PTO switch turned off?

·
Registered
88 Posts
.......Safety Switch ........

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Could be a safety switch gone bad, but I would look into the key switch... They are prone to problems on the 2166. It seems to be an oddball switch too from what I've read, only used on this model. I don't know what's different because I haven't replaced mine yet.

On mine it will do this sometimes but if I jump the starter with a screwdriver the key starts working again for awhile.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
As others stated check the safety switches and make sure pto switch is off. The key switch on my 16+ year old 2166 is original and so far no issues (kow) but it is an odd ball one for sure.
Do you have a schematic and/or manual for the 2166?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already tried jumping starter, as far as I know should bypass all safety switches. Still doesn't turn over. I think that should even bypass basically everything.... and no motor is not seized

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it has a solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl just jumping the starter will not let it start. The solenoid needs power to open the fuel flow to the carb.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
What makes the least sense to me is that it wont turn over even when jumping the starter
I know you said this was a new starter, but have you bench tested it off the tractor... . Could be a bad new starter, it happens.

I may have missed it but are you sure there's voltage at the starter?

·
Registered
166 Posts
If it has a solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl just jumping the starter will not let it start. The solenoid needs power to open the fuel flow to the carb.
Disregard that. I thought the new starter was spinning. Is there any attempt at the starter spinning when directly jumping it? Even if its stuck it should still click. If your using a jumper pack put the + on the starter post and the - to the block and use the on off switch on the jumper pack as a key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts