My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main drive belt on my RZT50 has failed three times in the past 4 years. On one occasions, the belt broke. On two other occasions, the belt stretched so much that it came off the pulleys. The dealer replaced the belt each time with a new, OEM belt -- but it keeps failing. I use the mower a normal amount (sorry, I don't know the hours, it's in the shop, but probably less than 200 hours total -- in other words, 3 belt failures in less than 200 hours, belt only lasts about 60 hours!) The dealer says he has called Cub Cadet tech support and they have no suggestions. He has inspected the pulleys for misalignment, dings, cuts, etc and says they are perfect. I always apply the parking brake when storing the mower, which supposedly releases the tension on the drive belt.

Any suggestions? I have seen "kevlar" belts for sale (non-OEM) but someone told me they are junk, made in China, and even worse than the Cub Cadet OEM belt. But at this point, I'm tempted to try a Kevlar belt -- anything to try to solve this problem! Of course the belt always fails just when I really need the mower, very frustrating.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
How to the belts themselves look like? Are the sides of them cut at all? Chunks missing from them? Lots of cracking? Burned spots?

Offhand, if all the pulleys/idlers are aligned properly, and all spin freely, then the next thing to check is belt tension, that it's either too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to the belts themselves look like? Are the sides of them cut at all? Chunks missing from them? Lots of cracking? Burned spots?
Thanks Dave -- I've had the local dealer replace the belt when it has failed, and have asked him if he's seen anything unusual. He has always said no, nothing unusual, belt just stretched (or, one time, the belt broke). I've asked him to take a close look at the pulleys for nicks, dings, misalignment, etc and he says everything looks fine. So that's why I'm baffled. I've been wondering if this is a common problem with the RZT50, but so far, no one has said that.

It's frustrating ... there is nothing unusual about my lawn, terrain, etc. It is mostly flat, with some short inclines. Lots of trees, so I do a lot of short-radius turns, but that doesn't seem like it would hurt the belt. There isn't any unusual debris on the lawn. It can be dusty in some areas in the heat of summer, but that doesn't seem unusual to me. I think there has to be something wrong with the pulleys or tensioner that the dealer's technician just isn't seeing. Maybe next time I'll try a different repair shop.

Any other ideas/thoughts appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts