My Tractor Forum banner

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Deck Belt help!

1756 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dave_r
Hey guys, I have done a lot of researching on this and can not find a solution. I have a LTX1050 for 10yrs now. Last season out of nowhere it started shredding new deck belts every few cuts. All the pulleys seem to be fine, free spinning and not gouged. It has been to a local shop and they said everything appeared fine and within spec and couldn’t give a solution. Yes I am using Kevlar MTR belts. Anybody have a solution?? I don’t wanna have to buy another mower when this will has always been good to me until last season. Roughly 185hrs on the mower. Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I don't have your tractor. But, this is a symptom of something being out of spec.

Some causes can be:
  • Overly tight belts heat up fast and fail quickly.
  • Overly loose belts flop around and hit stuff. Is there a tensioning spring missing or tensioning arm frozen up?
  • Are there belt keepers on the deck? Those heavy duty wire studs that keep a belt from backing off a pulley when the tension is relaxed. Sometimes they can get bent and rub a belt to failure.
  • Are your belts correct width? Belts should not bottom out in the bottom of the pulleys.
  • Are your pulleys all aligned with each other, that is, they are all in the same plane so belts travel straight onto and out of each pulley? ( look to be sure your deck hasn't been bent where one of the spindles mount).
  • Wobbling pulleys will force belts off and may break them. Look carefully at how each pulley spins when you turn them manually. There should be no visible wobble.

Sorry if I've listed stuff already covered, but can't think of any other common belt failure causes.
Maybe others can chime in.
See less See more
i had a lt1050 for 14 years never shredded a belt, check all the spindles and both tensioners ,make sure everything is lined up, belts in all the pulleys correctly no bent pulleys, make sure you have a free spinning PTO electric clutch as the OEM's can develop bad bearings and are not rebuildable

Attachments

I don't have your tractor. But, this is a symptom of something being out of spec.

Some causes can be:
  • Overly tight belts heat up fast and fail quickly.
  • Overly loose belts flop around and hit stuff. Is there a tensioning spring missing or tensioning arm frozen up?
  • Are there belt keepers on the deck? Those heavy duty wire studs that keep a belt from backing off a pulley when the tension is relaxed. Sometimes they can get bent and rub a belt to failure.
  • Are your belts correct width? Belts should not bottom out in the bottom of the pulleys.
  • Are your pulleys all aligned with each other, that is, they are all in the same plane so belts travel straight onto and out of each pulley? ( look to be sure your deck hasn't been bent where one of the spindles mount).
  • Wobbling pulleys will force belts off and may break them. Look carefully at how each pulley spins when you turn them manually. There should be no visible wobble.

Sorry if I've listed stuff already covered, but can't think of any other common belt failure causes.
Maybe others can chime in.
Thanks I’ll double check everything to be sure!
See less See more
i had a lt1050 for 14 years never shredded a belt, check all the spindles and both tensioners ,make sure everything is lined up, belts in all the pulleys correctly no bent pulleys, make sure you have a free spinning PTO electric clutch as the OEM's can develop bad bearings and are not rebuildable
Might sound dumb but on the PTO electric clutch I assume just spinning it with my hand will give me a idea If the bearing has gone bad? I.E-noisy, not free spinning.
See less See more
The electric pto's I've worked on (zero turns, larger walkbehinds) don't freely spin when de-energized, probably so the blades stop and don't free-spin with the engine.
As Dave said.
Early clutches free wheeled the pulley but when blade brakes became mandatory they added a brake to the clutch
That is what those funny shaped magnets do.
Shredding is what happens when the belt runs over something that can not rotate
Most commonly with a new belt it is because the belt was routed on the wrong side of a belt keeper or the belt keeper got bent out of position .
Very easy done , there is not a tech on this site ( me included ) who has not done this at least once and wrecked a customers belt which can get very expensive very quick.

Does the belt smoke and do you smell burning rubber before it gives up the ghost ?
Does the cover shred from the back in or the V out , from the top down or the bottom up ?
The belt itself is the best pointer to the location of the problem .
Top or bottom shredding is generally an alignment problem
Back shredding is either a bad idler or rubbing on a retainer
Inside shredding is again wrong side of a retainer or a worn out pulley.

Photos of the deceased belt would help .
Worth while cleaning the floor of all debris then getting some one to run the deck lifting it up & down while you lay on the floor with a strong flash light watching the belt FROM THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MOWER ( yes i was yelling because it is important ) to see where it is rubbing. The belt generally screams a bit as well.

There are silly things like decks worn thin that allow the spindle housing to lean over that you can not see unless the deck is working.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
As Dave said.
Early clutches free wheeled the pulley but when blade brakes became mandatory they added a brake to the clutch
That is what those funny shaped magnets do.
Shredding is what happens when the belt runs over something that can not rotate
Most commonly with a new belt it is because the belt was routed on the wrong side of a belt keeper or the belt keeper got bent out of position .
Very easy done , there is not a tech on this site ( me included ) who has not done this at least once and wrecked a customers belt which can get very expensive very quick.

Does the belt smoke and do you smell burning rubber before it gives up the ghost ?
Does the cover shred from the back in or the V out , from the top down or the bottom up ?
The belt itself is the best pointer to the location of the problem .
Top or bottom shredding is generally an alignment problem
Back shredding is either a bad idler or rubbing on a retainer
Inside shredding is again wrong side of a retainer or a worn out pulley.

Photos of the deceased belt would help .
Worth while cleaning the floor of all debris then getting some one to run the deck lifting it up & down while you lay on the floor with a strong flash light watching the belt FROM THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MOWER ( yes i was yelling because it is important ) to see where it is rubbing. The belt generally screams a bit as well.

There are silly things like decks worn thin that allow the spindle housing to lean over that you can not see unless the deck is working.
Sorry for the delay, but I do not have the belt with me for a picture at the moment. It started smoking and then came off. Didn’t exactly tear in half like it has done previously. Appears the back (flat side) just in one 1” spot started wearing through toward the V. The mower has 200hrs and can not see where it’s visually rubbing anything at the moment. I do believe the idler pulleys are definitely past due. There a little noisy and seem to free spin well but definitely don’t feel tight as if the bearing is going out. So I ordered two pulleys and tensioner spring just in case it’s wearing out (only $10). So I’ll update after that! It worked great for many years than all of a sudden last year through belts off consistently and broke at least 4-5. Nothing obvious happened to cause it that I am aware of. Thanks for the response!
See less See more
The belt smokes because it is rubbing on some thing that is either rotating faster than it is or is not moving at all .
Damage to the back of the belt is usually due to it rubbing on a belt keeper
However a short burn is what happens hen a stationary belt is touching a moving pulley very rare to find it on the back of the belt as the back only runs on idlers.
A stiff idler will shred the entire length of the not just a 1" section unless you are twisting the belt & have the back running on the engine pulley
See less See more
Possibly the belt flipped, then burned up on the PTO for some reason?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.