My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to everyone here at MTF. I am new to the forum so I will apologize in advance for any "beginner" or silly questions. I have been reading several of the posts before joining and there is a lot of great info here in the forum. My Craftsman lawn tractor has bit the dust but I got a total of 10 years out of it after it was given to me so I can't complain! So I'm in the market for a new lawn tractor. The Cub Cadet LTX 1050 KW has certainly caught my eye. I have looked at several other models by various brands (including John Deere LA series, Husqvarna, Craftsman) but the Cub 1050 KW seems to offer the "most bang for my buck." I am only planning on mowing grass with the new machine, but I now have an additional 2 acre lot to cut besides my original 2/3 of an acre. The Craftsman that I had was a
42" deck with a 15.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I do have an incline at my house and the Craftsman mower always seemed to handle it without problems. I feel like the Cub Cadet would have plenty of power although have have read some posts regarding transmission problems. Any suggestions regarding the Cub Cadet 1050 KW vs. another Cub cadet mower or another brand would be greatly appreciated.:thanku:

Sean

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey
I can say that I have been satisfied with my LTX 1050KW. I have used it 4 times and it has been flawless. I am mowing about the same as you, a little less and with a hill on about 1/4 of my property. It mows and pulls perfectly. I love the Kaw engine, first one that I have owned. Like you, I only plan to use it to mow, maybe an occasional use of a lawn cart as well. I too had a Craftsman for a little over 6 years. It was also a hydrostatic transmission with a Briggs 21.5 Intek. I can honestly say that my new Cub will pull on the hill consistently at about half pedal where the Craftsman always required full pedal. Mine also makes the "noise" that you have probably read about, the whine from the transmission. My Craftsman had the whine as well the entire time I owned it. I think that a whine is probably normal for this type transmission, based one these two things. This is my first Cub product and I am very much pleased. One thing I would mention is the deck wash system. I was excited about it at first, but after mowing for the 4th time, I decided to give the underside of the deck a cleaning by hand and found a lot of crap under there. And yeah, a lot of it was old clippings. So, I dont think quite as much of the wash system now, lol. Its fine if you enjoy watching green colored water run for a while, but I think that it may compound the problems under the deck by slinging wet clippings that stick to areas and then harden. Anyway, thats my thought.
If you were going to do much more than mow, Id suggest that you might want something a little different, but for your described use and from my experience with my Cub, I think you would be pleased.
Good luck with your decision! Let us know how it turns out.
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolrays615,

Thanks for the feedback. I saw on another thread that the 1050KW has the same transmission as the JD X304 (K46?), but I'm not sure that is the case. I am going to a town a few miles away because they have a 1050KW in stock and my local Cub dealer has them on backorder. Any thoughts on buying one from a big box store vs. a local dealer with regard to quality? I would prefer to buy from my local dealer just to simply support them, but it is going to be several weeks before he may get any in stock and I can't really wait that long.

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I looked at 2 different ones, one at a dealer and one at Tractor Supply. Tractor Supply did not have one with the Kaw engine. The dealer did and also still beat the price from Tractor Supply. Also, my dealer stocks all kinds of stuff from oil to filters ect. I noticed that Tractor Supply had a few things, mostly Briggs products.
One thing I can say from ym experience is this, my dealer treated me very well. Also, since they do service I figure that if I have a problem I have a support system in place to call.
Also I will tell you this story. I first bought a 1046 and got it him only to find it had a bent axle. Called my dealer and he came right then and brought the 1050KW...which I really wanted to start with...and did an even swap. So...I gotta say, I doubt that a big box store would have responded that quick or made me that offer. I think things like this are why I try to support the dealer.
Good luck with your decision, its a great machine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That's the kind of dealer I LIKE to give money to.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Coolrays615,

Thanks for the feedback. I saw on another thread that the 1050KW has the same transmission as the JD X304 (K46?), but I'm not sure that is the case.
Nope. JD uses Tufftorq transaxles. They have for a good 25yrs. The K46 is a TT. Cub/MTD sources their transaxles from Hydrogear. I'm not exactly sure which HG unit the 1050 uses, but either manufacturer is great.

Joel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nope. JD uses Tufftorq transaxles. They have for a good 25yrs. The K46 is a TT. Cub/MTD sources their transaxles from Hydrogear. I'm not exactly sure which HG unit the 1050 uses, but either manufacturer is great.

Joel
I "believe" thats its the Hydro Gear 510. Not much difference between the 510, 610 and 710.
Here is the link if you would like to check it out:
http://www.hydro-gear.com/LawnGard/Consumer/RideOn/LTSeries.aspx

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sean. on thge hydro gear trans. Look on the back bottom right side you can find a sticker. Write the npo. down and call hydro gear and they will tell you what trans you have. I have the 1046 B/S. TC. I do wish it had the kW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I looked at 2 different ones, one at a dealer and one at Tractor Supply. Tractor Supply did not have one with the Kaw engine. The dealer did and also still beat the price from Tractor Supply. Also, my dealer stocks all kinds of stuff from oil to filters ect. I noticed that Tractor Supply had a few things, mostly Briggs products.
One thing I can say from ym experience is this, my dealer treated me very well. Also, since they do service I figure that if I have a problem I have a support system in place to call.
Also I will tell you this story. I first bought a 1046 and got it him only to find it had a bent axle. Called my dealer and he came right then and brought the 1050KW...which I really wanted to start with...and did an even swap. So...I gotta say, I doubt that a big box store would have responded that quick or made me that offer. I think things like this are why I try to support the dealer.
Good luck with your decision, its a great machine.

I'm with you on the likelihood of better customer service from my local dealer; however he already quoted me the same price as a big box store, so that is even. Unfortunately, as I said earlier he's not sure if/when he'll get the 1050kw in stock. He already has 3 on backorder promised to other customers. I appreciate all of the great feedback from everyone:thanku: . I will hopefully make a decision/purchase this weekend if all goes well. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I totally understand the need to move forward. I needed to buy the same day I looked at these, just lucked out that they had what I wanted at the dealer. I dont have much patience, lol....character flaw I guess, so it would be hard for me to wait and wonder when and know that I could pick one of these up right away.
Good luck with your decision, again, its a great machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my first Cub Cadet about 3 weeks ago and I love it!! It is a LTX 1050 with the Kawasaki engine and it runs like a top.

Lots of power and the jet wash system for the deck is great to get the excess grass out when you finish mowing.

I bought my from a dealer instead of Lowe's and my dealer will come pick mine up and fix it with my 3 year warranty on all parts.

I'm loving my Cub Cadet and would recommend it for anyone not wanting to pay the extra $1500 that they would have to pay for a comparable John Deere. :fing32:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer sold out of the Kawasaki LTX 1050's as well when I was shopping for a lawn tractor a while back. I recently had bought a house with a fairly big yard and it was getting to the point where I had to buy something and couldn't or didn't want to wait any longer on the possibility that the dealer would get more in. I ended up buying mine from Home Depot.

Anyway, so far so good with mine and I'm glad I bought it. My transmission makes a little whine(seems it made a little more the first couple of hours of use, but I may have noticed it more then), but I hardly notice it at full throttle which is where you are supposed to mow at. I do notice a little rattle pulling a steep hill under heavy load from the hydrostatic lever that puts the transmission in neutral that others have mentioned(I may try y'all's hose covering mod for that), but it's a steep hill and that little rattle is the least of my worries pulling that hill. :biglaugh:

I like the Kawasaki engine. It is assembled here in the U.S.(at least mine was, I assume that they all are). The carbueretor has "China" stamped on it though. Yeah China has the ability to make some decent stuff if they want to and they've gotten better at it, I still would prefer it if the carbueretor was made elsewhere though as we give China too much business as it is(enough about that). I do like the metal mesh on the cooling fan cover that the Kawasaki has. I haven't noticed a Kohler or Briggs with a metal cooling fan cover on any of the riding mower's I was looking at.

I was close to buying a Husqvarna LGT2554 from Lowes, but the lever operated hydrostatic transmission was a turn off for me and I preferred the Kawasaki engine that the LTX1050KW has. The Cub also has a tighter turning radius.

I did also consider that new Dixon garden tractor(D26KH54) that Home Depot is selling. It comes with a hitch, has bigger tires, and a heavier duty hydrostatic transmission. It was also $1000 more than the Cub, and I don't see any plowing in the forseeable future yet.

So I bought the Cub and have no regrets. Good luck with your decision. :fing32: :trink39:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would certainly consider the John Deere x304 but I can't get past the $3500price tag. It is simply out of my range. I also looked at the new zero radius Cub Cadets with the standard steering wheel vs lever controls but it to is out of my price range. The dealer said the new version of the Cub zero radius mowers are fantastic and do a great job with traction on fairly steep slopes. I too understand being inpatient, my wife tells me the same thing:lalala: Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions (different model of Cub or even a different brand) outside of the 1050KW in the $1700 to $2200 price range I would love to hear them. Again thanks for all of your input and suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well as luck would have it my local dealer got in a 1050 KW that was not already promised to another buyer. Price was the same as the big box stores and Cub was also offering 12 months of 0% interest! Cut with it yesterday and wow :bannana: the kawasaki engine is fantastic. I tried out the deck wash system after letting the mower cool off about 10 minutes but like several others I was not overly impressed. I suspect I'll be doing a little pressure washing a few times during the cutting season. One problem I did have though was that the parking brake did not want to engage after I was finished and when I pulled the mower into my building. Anyone else have that problem? I am glad I bought at a local dealer in case I need him to come out and take a look at the parking brake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The park brake usually requires a little in out motion of the brake pedal and some up/down motion of the lock lever to get it to engage. Its take a little time to find the right combo of movement to get it locked in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well as luck would have it my local dealer got in a 1050 KW that was not already promised to another buyer. Price was the same as the big box stores and Cub was also offering 12 months of 0% interest! Cut with it yesterday and wow :bannana: the kawasaki engine is fantastic. I tried out the deck wash system after letting the mower cool off about 10 minutes but like several others I was not overly impressed. I suspect I'll be doing a little pressure washing a few times during the cutting season. One problem I did have though was that the parking brake did not want to engage after I was finished and when I pulled the mower into my building. Anyone else have that problem? I am glad I bought at a local dealer in case I need him to come out and take a look at the parking brake.
Congrats on the purchase!! I hope you woll enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Just did the first oil change in mine over the weekend and went with Mobil 1 10w30.......changed the filter as well. I have not really noticed the parking brake issue that you mentioned but probably nursing the pedal around a little will take care of it. I am still impressed by the torque this thing has.
Good luck with your new tractor and Im glad that you like it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the parking brake issue fixed. Apparently, there is a "lock" pin (supposedly similar to the ones that attach the deck) that holds the parking brake/cruise control in place. My dealer fixed the pin since I had just bought the mower. He came out and took care of the problem for me:thThumbsU . For those that are interested the pin is behind the gas tank on the 1050 kw so you'll need to take off the gas tank and repair/replace the pin as needed. Again, I'm glad I bought from a local dealer as he came out to my house to take care of the problem:trink39: .

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
To anyone owning a LTX1050, I would suggest reading the post by Panchohughes dated today (05/20/10., it could or should helpful to all that own one.

Dick

1 - 20 of 41 Posts