My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 cub cadet lt 1045 with a Kohler Courage 20 engine.

It has never given me any problems at all, however I was changing the oil and oil filter yesterday and after changing the filter/oil I have noticed something very strange. Upon starting the engine, it will rev full throttle for about two seconds before returning to proper idle. My dad also mentioned that it is "3 times faster" than it used to be and that while the pto (mower) was engaged, the throttle would rise and bog randomly every so often.

The only thing I can think of is that when removing the filter with a filter wrench (it was on very tight) it was pushing up rather firmly on the stainless steel plate that hides the throttle/choke cable mechanism (could something have bent to cause this?). I have checked the throttle cable and choke cable operation/alignment and it all appears normal. I am completely baffled as to what it could be. Any ideas? Before the oil filter change it would start with no rev and ran completely fine with no bog or rev.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
possible that something got bent, but do dble chk yer oil level - an overfilled crankcase can cause strange engine functions also.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like you may have accidentally bent your governor arm with the filter pliers. It is within striking distance on that engine for sure. Check your throttle linkage and check behind the plate on the side for any damage. It doesn't take much of a tweak to upset a governor system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
possible that something got bent, but do dble chk yer oil level - an overfilled crankcase can cause strange engine functions also.
Hmmm....This is going to sound really stupid (and I felt like an idiot), but I had overfilled the crankcase. I thought I had fully popped opened the drain plug but apparently I didn't, so long story short after driving it for about 30 seconds I got curious and turned it off to check the dipstick, sure enough the oil level was way up and above the fill line. Luckily I didn't run it long at all with that much oil so I know I didn't harm the engine terribly, however I went to drain the oil to the top of the fill line after I noticed that.....At the moment it is still just slightly above the fill line. Would this still cause it to rev upon starting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I drained the oil to the correct level, however the engine still revs upon starting and is acting the same. I assume that something is probably bent. Would it most likely be the throttle cable? I don't think that a spring would be causing this would it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts