My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my tractor this morning and it was trying for about 30 seconds and then stopped trying to turn over. On the LCD display a new light is showing up I have never seen before. It is a shape of a rectangle with two filled in triangles pointing at one another on the left hand portion of the screen. I can still see the 99.1 hours of use, and then the rectangle shows before this. It won't even attempt to turn over. I am not sure what this symbol means????

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure your battery is O.K.? Have you tried jumping it off? I have a 1045 but I have no idea what the display is telling you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have an LT1050 and was checking my op.'s manual and the only indicator it shows with double arrows pointing to each other is an oil pressure indictor and says to check the oil level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the oil and added extra oil this morning and no luck with the light. The dipstick shows full. Is there a different way to check pressure? I also tried jumping it and that didn't do anything. Is the rectangle in your manual one that looks like its tall (longer lines on the right hand and left hand sides) and shorter lines on the top and bottom?

Thanks guys for the help it is appreciated. I have about 5 acres to mow each week and I seem to have more problems with this machine, I don't think it was made for this much mowing, I just can't spend on a full blown tractor at this time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
No, sounds like your tractor is newer than mine. I don't an LCD display. I have the hour meter in center, and then four indicating lights. Top left is light
for the battery showing a battery symbol, bottom left light with symbol that has a u shaped bar with a gear below it and a curved arrow below this, this is the PTO/Blade Engage, top right is the indicator for oil pressure looks like a drop of oil with 2 arrows pointing to it, bottom right is the fourth indicator, circle with a P in center and 2 curved bars around the circle , this is the parking brake brake indicator. My tractor is an 04 if my memory serves me right. LOL.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I think that symbol and your problem starting are unrelated.

I have the Cub i-Series i1050, and I see a very similar symbol to what you're describing showing up in the multi-function "Systems Indicator Monitor/Hour Meter". It's the gauge in the black circle in the picture below (the display to the left is a tachometer I added later)

In this photo, the two black triangles in a rectangle symbol appears in the left of the LCD window. is that the symbol you're referring to? If not, it would be helpful if you could take a picture of it and post it here.

On my model, that symbol appears anytime the key is in the on position, even if the tractor is not running, and is not used to indicate any sort of failure. I don't know what it's supposed to be a picture of.. an hourglass (makes sense given the number to the right is hours)? The "spinning propeller" symbol used by BMW? Who knows.

Strangely my operators manual makes no mention of this symbol either. I guess it's supposed to be obvious?:confused:

Edit: in my parts manual, this multi-function gauge is part no 725-04022B. If you check your parts manual for your 1045 and see the same part number, it's good chance your "hourglass" symbol is just indicating hours are passing, like mine is.

Also note your hour meter will continue to accumulate time even if the tractor isn't running as long as the key is in the on position. I think that's a poor design because it can devalue a tractor for no reason, but that's how it is. People have said they've accidentally left the key on overnight and found an extra day's worth of hours on the tractor. Bummer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what mine looks like and that is the picture I was referring to, I may have just never noticed it before. What happened was it was turning over and then it just stopped . I turn the key and it clicks but nothing else happens, the engine no longer turns. I tried jumping it and nothing, the battery meter is showing in the 11's . Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I checked the fuse on the side, but when that breaks nothing has power. It is showing not broke.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Put a new battery in it and I bet it will crank. I had a similar problem with mine this year and after replacing the battery all is well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try tapping the starter lighty (no banging) and also check the wires attached to the starter take them off clean and reattach. I had a bad starter on mine with 15 hrs on it. go figure. You could always try and run power from a jumper cable to the starter to see if it is getting power and that the starter works??

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok i'm a bit novice, how do i identify the starter? Whereabouts might I found it? Or how would one go about turning it over by hand?
Well if you don't know wha the starter looks like then i would suggest not trying to put power to it. The starter is on the right rear side of the mower and is round with a smaller round solenoid on top of it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi NorthCountryCubCadetGuy,

I know you probably checked all this but just in case make sure that your brake is on, PTO drive is off, and you are sitting firmly on the seat before you try to start the tractor. Also check to make sure each of thosesafety switchs is being fully engaged.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats the one thing I was able to handle preachp. However, it was worth questioning me. I'm computer technical, no so mechanical. Odd, how I can take a pc apart and it makes sense yet, I can only handle gas and oil on a mechanical item. Go figure.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,274 Posts
Howdee North, Maybe press "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" on the darn thing!?!?! (J/K!) With the key off look at the engine and find the large round opening with the screen on it. That is the flywheel and it has teeth oround the outside which the starter "meshes" with to turn the engine. (Try to rotate this screen covered flywheel by pressing your hand down on it and rotating it. If it moves the starter or start circuitry is the culprit!) The starter will be a round 4"-ish diameter by around 5-6" long cylinder which is mounted perpendicular to the flywheel on the side of the engine.. Some starters have a solenoid or "switch" which relays direct battery power to the starter. Some solenoids are on the starter while others are mounted elsewhere in ther tractor.. Did you try to jump the battery from your car or other known good battery? (verify the jumper connections are good when doing this!) If it starts then the battery is the culprit. Replace it and all should be better.. If not- take it to a mechanic who understands electrical start-system operation and trouble-shooting.. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I have almost the same problem but the Hourglass is flashing on and off ,it happens when the engine is running or when it is not !
Can anyone explain? thanks

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
as memory serves me, the hourglass flashing is just a reminder for engine oil change. Get a few more hrs on it and it will go out on it's own, I believe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
as memory serves me, the hourglass flashing is just a reminder for engine oil change. Get a few more hrs on it and it will go out on it's own, I believe...
OK thanks for that I just bought it and the previous owner said it had been serviced but I changed it anyway so should be good
:thThumbsU

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
espookid, I think rcbe probably has it right.

From the i1050 owner's manual (not your model but close enough):

"LCD Hour Meter Display
The hour meter display is activated when the key
switch is turned to either the “NORMAL MOWING” or
the “REVERSE CAUTION MODE” switch positions.
When the key switch is turned to an on position, the
battery indicator light briefly illuminates and the battery
voltage is briefly displayed. The display then changes
to the accumulated hours.
[...]
The Indicator Monitor will also remind the operator of
maintenance intervals for changing the engine oil. The
LCD will alternately flash the recorded hours, “CHG” and
“OIL” for five minutes, after every 50 hours of recorded
operation elapse. The maintenance interval lasts for
two hours (from 50-52, 100-102, 150-152, etc.). The
LCD will flash as described for five minutes every time
the tractor’s engine is started during this maintenance
interval."

It doesn't come right out and say it, but I assume the "hourglass" symbol is only displayed when the hour count is displayed, and if the display alternates between hours and some other value ("chg" and "oil") at oil change time, then it makes sense the hourglass will be appearing and disappearing in sync with the hours value appearing and disappearing.

Having said that, I can't recall ever seeing this on my tractor, and I think my hours are well past their interval. I probably just wasn't paying attention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts