My Tractor Forum banner

Cub Cadet LT 1042 Kohler Courage 19 hp Model SV 590s repower with a Briggs 14.5 MODEL 2807707

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  phoenixrising2015 
#1 ·
I have a Cub Cadet LT 1042 that is in great shape except for the Kohler Courage 19Hp it came with. I have been chasing the engine crack problem for about a year, making fixes, then it crack somewhere else etc.
In any case it finally bit the dust. However I have an older Briggs 14.5 that I would like to replace the Kohler with. I know it might be a little under powered but I would like to give it a try.
One thing I had a question on is the the Cub has an electric clutch to engage the blades. I know the Briggs doesn't have a hefty alternator to keep up with the current draw, so I was wondering if the Kohler alternator is interchangeable with the Briggs engine? I guess I would have to take the regulator and all. Any Ideas on that Also anyother issues I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance.

Larry

#2 ·
I doubt you'll be able to use the Kohler alternator. The 14.5 Briggs has enough power to run the 42 inch deck but you will need to upgrade the charging system. My understanding is that most briggs alternators will work on most engines. Your flywheel probably has the small magnets but with the Stator upgrade you should still get enough power to operate the electric PTO. I put a 12 hp briggs on a 1040 (manual PTO) and it did fine.
Cannon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.