My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these from time to time. One of them even had an Onan single cylinder.
What does HDS stand for and what is this series all about?
Any fear in buying one in nice condition?

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I looked at several HDs models on tractordata and they are all shaft drive hydrostatics. I'm gonna assume that's the acronym for "Heavy Duty Shaft(drive)" Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

I saw some HDS 3000 series and some LT type 2165 stuff so the term doesn't define the LT/GT very well other than to say it has a shaft drive transaxle. If you want more accurate info post up a specific HDS model number and we can help you a little better--a HDS 3000 series is in a totally different class than an HDS 2165

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HDS 2185

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Here it is on Tractordata. These have a very stout BDU-10 transaxle that is capable of doing more than the rest of the LT can handle. It can tow and probably even do ground engaging light dirt work well. The decks on these had powder coat adhesion problems so may have rust if stored outside. Has a great Kohle Commad horizontal shaft engine as well.

Overall these are great LTs. The transmission and engine are more capable than the chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that stands for "Hydro Drive System".
I think that's correct. When I was looking at HDS models last night all I could find were shaft drives. Found a belt drive HDS 1527 this morning.

·
guyina4x4
39 Posts
I see these from time to time. One of them even had an Onan single cylinder.
What does HDS stand for and what is this series all about?
Any fear in buying one in nice condition?
I have two 2185's
HDS i think is just hydro drive system
I like mine, they cut good and plow snow good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts