My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out a few different GT's and i think i've narrowed it down to a Cub Cadet.
GT1554 at $2699 or
GT2554 at $3850

Any preferences? is the 2500 series worth the extra $1150?

Also will the sleeve hitch on the Lowes website fit these tractors? I new to all of this and i'm not sure what all to look for. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
:Welcome: and Happy Birthday :birthday: . I would have to agree with johndeere that yes the extra $1150 is worth it. If you are planning on really working it. Because of the shaft drive and the hyro is bigger and holds more fuild to help keep it cool.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I do appreciate the quick response. I was thinking the same thing.

Do you have any idea about the sleeve hitch at lowes?

Oh, I put the wrong day for my birthday. its actually day after tomorrow (30th).
but thanks for the happy birthday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cub Comparison

Here is a link to the Cub Cadet site that compares the two machines:

1554 Vs. 2554 Compare

The price you have for the 2554 sounds too high, the C.C. site lists it at 2999 but that price is with a smaller deck. The 2554 has shaft drive Vs. Belt, Cast iron tranny vs. Aluminum, heavier frame 11ga vs. 12ga.

The 2554 also has a more reasonably sized engine, not a consumer driven advertising war with 27 gas guzzling HP. You'll never be able to use 27hp on the 1554. The 2554 will run longer on the same fuel and be capable of doing more work since it weighs a bit more. The wheelbase is slightly shorter on the 2554 so you should sit on them and make sure it is comfortable.

An electric sleeve hitch is available for the both machines, although the part number is different, so you'll need to order the right one for the machine you get. If you look up the model on the C.C. web site and view the 'attachments' tab for the machine you can get part numbers for the attachments you want..

·
Citizen of Earth
15,447 Posts
You didn't mention the size of your lawn or the reason you were interested in the integral hitch. The answers would determine in my mind which would be the better tractor. For 3/4 of an acre and some snow removal with a little garden tilling, I might consider the GT1554. For a larger lawn/garden/other task tractor, I'd probably go with the GT2554.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bontai Joe,
95% of the time will be cutting grass, a little over an acre and a half. We also have a small garden and I wanted a boxblade to keep the driveway straight.

Not much need for a snowblower down here in Southern VA. Plan on pulling an aerator and seeder though. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The driveshaft machines are at the best prices they've been in years.......It would be wise buy one now....before prices go up for 2005/2006 model year starting October 1,2005. It sounds crazy but we're already 1/2 way thru this model year.
It will WWWWWWWWWAAAY outlast the lighter built belt drive machine. :fing32:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Neil,
The model I was looking at was a 2554 list for 3999 said i could have it for 3850. The 2550 list for 3499.I don't know what i could get that for he'd have to order one. By the web site it has a thinner metal deck. is the thicker deck and 2 horses worth the extra bucks?? :1221:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Yeah, My wife really likes the coaster wheels on the 54in deck. by the pic on the cub website the 50in doesn't have them :1221:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am still looking for a new LT or GT although the LT is probably what I need. I already have 2 full size Cubs for garden chores and heavier grass jobs.

After 15 years of cutting 3 acres with a 38" deck, I would definitely recommend the larger 50" + decks and definitely with guage wheels or roller bars. You will cut more acreage with a lot less wear and tear on the LT. Also, I would go with the shaft drive if available and affordable. Belt drives really are not a good option. Belts wear and stretch real quick and even when using aftermarkets, the cost adds up quickly.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
YaleVaHere said:
I've been checking out a few different GT's and i think i've narrowed it down to a Cub Cadet.
GT1554 at $2699 or
GT2554 at $3850

Any preferences? is the 2500 series worth the extra $1150?

Also will the sleeve hitch on the Lowes website fit these tractors? I new to all of this and i'm not sure what all to look for. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bought A GT2554 last week. It was delivered yesterday/
$5650 covered Tractor 54'' deck front blade tiller suitcase weights a new chain saw and sales tax

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using a Cub Cadet 149 by IH for the past ten years and for the money I don't think you can beat them. Mine is almost 40 years old and built like a tank. I am no mechanic but I have learned to do almost all maintnance myself. There are alot of web sites like this one and a great deal of knowledge is out there. I also wonder where these new machines will be in 40 years.
Herb

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
hmgould said:
I have been using a Cub Cadet 149 by IH for the past ten years and for the money I don't think you can beat them. Mine is almost 40 years old and built like a tank. I am no mechanic but I have learned to do almost all maintnance myself. There are alot of web sites like this one and a great deal of knowledge is out there. I also wonder where these new machines will be in 40 years.
Herb
They don't build them like yours anymore so the new ones will be recycled by then, maybe couple times if used.

·
geissen kid
24 Posts
has anybody used a johnny sleeve hitch on gt 1554 if so what are the good and bad points. im a new member and i really like this forum
bill

·
Ridin' the Gray Lightnin!
47 Posts
Holy resurrected thread Batman! This suckas' almost 2 years old! :sidelaugh

You should probably start a new thread for your question; and welcome to the forum! :bannana:

·
Registered
649 Posts
That makes twice that this thread has been pulled out of the dust:bannana:
So how is the tractor doing two years down the road?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts