My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was given a free blower by a friend of mine, it was part of a divorce deal he got but doesn't want the blower. I have one on my little L100 but its 8 years old and is getting quite tired and the CC blower is a heavier duty model.

Its pretty rusty but the auger and impeller feel perfect, spin very smooth and easy. The scraper bar and skid shoes on the other hand are a different story, not sure why anyone would spend as much as they did for the blower and let it get to this point.

I broke, or cut all the bolts to get it apart and the blower shell itself has very little damage, I did some quick hammer and dolly on the bottom edge and managed to get it to back into somewhat good shape, all the mounting holes are good so I will make a new scraper for it, I priced a new one and I found it online for 70 bucks shipped.... no thanks. I took the attaching pieces off that mounted it to the CC, and the with of the mounting arms off the blower are close to the width of the front of my 318 so I dont think mounting it up will be to difficult, and I will using the original lifting system but with the addition off a hydraulic cylinder to replace the manual lifting arm. I have been itching to try out my new welder.

Now the part that I believe will be the most challenging is getting power to the blower. My first plan was to route the belt off the pto to modified mower deck mule drive to send the belt to the front of the tractor instead of to the back, and send belt right to the pulley on the back of the blower, but of course I need to spin it in the opposite direction. So unless I can make it so I can cross the belt so it turns it the right way I need another idea, I am welcome to suggestions.

Also the blower is only 40 inches wide so I will be adding 2 1/2 wings to each side to make it as wide as the rear tires, but for now the drift cutters have found a nice home on the other blower.

I definitely want a 2 stage for the 318 rather than the 49 single stage and the 47 is a monster and too expensive for me, and I needed a new project anyways.

And yes, all of the snow toys for the 4 inches of snow we had this year.......

:dunno:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have that same blower on a Cubcadet. The CC has 2 pulleys to route the belt from the PTO to the rear pulley on the carriage.the 2 pulleyes take the place of the JD muledrive.Its a dual belt system,one from the pto to the rear and one from the rear to the back of the blower housing.Its gonna take some serious thinking to get it to run on the 318. I really like the 2 stage and it throws easily 20-30 feet. i have used mine for 10 years and have only had to change belts a couple times.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Merlin

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now you have got me thinking, Maybe there is a way to use the dual belt system with my mower deck mule drive. That may solve the belt direction problem, it wouldn't be that hard to modify and mount the original 2 belt system under the 318, I had to make my own mounts for the blower on the L100, there is plenty of room, I just need to see about the clearance under the mule drive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
in your 2nd pic the bar at the rear of the carriage with the pull pin in each end is what holds the rear of the carraige up.There are 2 tabs that bolt to the cub frame each having a hole the size of the rod,the rod slides through these tabs and is pinned in.

Merlin

·
"One Man's Trash"
121 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't it be easiest to simply remove the large pulley from the shaft, extend the shaft to below the 318 front PTO, and then reinstall the large pulley, supported by a pillow block bearing? A u-joint in the shaft would allow for up/down movement.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes and that was my first plan, use a small drive shaft, but I am still left with the problem of the wrong rotation on the pulley.

Edit: The more I think about it I believe your right, the belt set-up would spin it opposite direction of the pto pulley and the the shaft set-up would spin it the same. I think I may try to go that route, just need to look into how much change in length of the shaft would be needed to raise and lower the blower. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing some reading, the CC blower impeller is set up from the factory to run at approximately 1500 rpms, so I would need a pulley approximately 14 inches in diameter to reduce the rpm from the 7" pto pulley, dont think I have the room for that, still thinking......

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
Run the tractor at lower RPM's?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe that's a pretty big no no with any air cooled motor, especially with the pto engaged and throwing snow, it needs the full rpms to cool the motor and put less strain on it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent a little time looking at it today, I am 99 percent sure the way to go is to use the pulley system that came with the unit and use my mower deck mule drive, I will just have to make up something for the 2 mounting points that usually attach to the front of the deck. I will make 2 pieces out of angle iron and bolt them to the frame to utilize the rod you mentioned Merlin. No sense in over engineering the drive system, the pulley system will send the belt in the correct direction and will reduce rpms at the auger by 50% which is exactly what I need.

Too my great surprise the frame on the blower slipped right between the front frame on the 318, so I started designing with cardboard how to mount it, ended up with the design in the last picture, each bracket will have two 5/8 bolts to existing holes in the 318 frame and two 1/2 bolts from the new bracket to the blower frame. The lower hole will have to be enlarged as it is 3/8 now. I will pick up some 1/8 plate on Monday and hopefully get started on it Monday night.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think trying to keep the blower as stock as possible is a good choice.The front mounting brackets should be your hardest part to create The rears are like i said just a tab bolted in so the rod can slide through. Then all ya need to do is figure out how long the belt needs to be and your ready for snow!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the fronts will be pretty straight forward, I got lucky with the blower fitting right between the frame of the 318, but it was a little tight and I am going to notch the blower frame 3/8 on each side, this will allow the welded nut on the blower frame to be in contact with the brackets I'm going to make and will also keep the blower's frame parallel all the way back so it will rise and lower easier without binding.

Kind of hard to see in the picture but the rod is fairly close to the mounting points for the deck, I think I will make a bracket that bolts to the deck mounts and the mower deck mule drive arms will attach to that, as well as the rod for the blower as I dont want to alter the tractors frame at all.

I think so far the thing I'm least looking forward to is taking it all apart for sanding and paint. I was just looking at window motors on eBay for the chute rotation and hope I can find the same actuator as the one in the video for the deflector chute. I would rather leave that set-up alone and sell it as a whole.

Deere Snowblower Chute

Also looking for a small hydraulic cylinder for the lift, thinking I will need a 4-5 stroke. Not sure where the best place to find one is besides Surplus Center.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was lookin at your paper bracket mts.they look great but the add on piece you made to attach to the lower pivot mount may not be necessesary.The cub blower slides into the bumper mount when installed and everything hangs on the upper channels.Your lower paper mt may interfere with the pivot point when lifting the blower.

The bracket idea for bolting to the deck mts sounds like a winner.There isnt alot of stress at the rear ya just need to hang it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to make the bracket 1 piece to keep the blower frame from rotating, from what I can see, when it is mounted to a Cub the channel and the 4 bolts that go threw it at the top "leg" keep it from rotating, with no channel and only 1 bolt in the top leg that is why I extended the bracket to the lower leg. In the picture my template is a little long at the bottom, you can see where I marked it with a pencil in that last pic where it needed to be cut so it will let the blower lift, I took the picture before I took the template off for final trimming. That lower bolt may interfere with the arm that goes to back for the pulley system but by only a matter of an 1/8 inch or so which I believed can just be clearanced with out an issue.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I went out and cut the blower frame back and made the rear bracket today, not really more to say then what the pictures show, except I did have fun using the new welder today, starting to get better, but far from great.

Then to my great surprise I tried to put the belt on that came with the blower up to the pto and it seems to fit almost perfect, and then that's where I saw that I should of mounted the rear arms from the mule drive 3 inches lower instead of keeping them level like I did. The belt needs to go right where I mounted it, so I need to redo that portion and another thing I did not realize is the angle the belt is running at to get up to the mower deck mule drive, the height is right about the same as the mower deck, but half the distance. I think I can raise the whole pulley system higher but I need to mount the blower to the frame first, I need it more stable before I can continue, I believe I can still use the bracket I made with a few modifications, I guess if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun. Well that's what I told myself as I was laying under the tractor on the cold concrete.
I also put the lower belt on and as you can see in the last picture, its the wrong size, it nay be the right length but the wrong width, I believe it is supposed to be 1/2 wide and this one is only 3/8 so it sits way too deep in the pulleys making it too short. The guy I got it from said the belt he got with it was broken so he replaced it but couldn't get it to work when he tried it, now I know why.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made a little more progress tonight, I was able to get 1/4" plate from my work for free so I used my template and made them tonight and mounted the blower, pretty straight forward, I need to get the proper length bolts tomorrow but its on there now and I put the manual lift arm back on to test it, I couldn't lower the lift arm all the way down to lock the blower in the raised position because it hits the brake pedals on the tractor. It can actually lift another 3-4 inches. I will be adding a hydraulic cylinder to lift the blower soon, so I can utilize the the float position on the tractors hydraulics. Made a quick video of it and uploaded it to youtube

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.