My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my buddy has a Cub Cadet 86 sitting in the weeds at his house, problem is its missing the motor, grill, and hood. If my memory is correct it has everything else. How much would you say the current setup is worth? I'd like to pick it up and turn it into a much more than stock pulling tractor. Since the hood and grill are missing it would allow me to do custom sheet metal work without hacking up a piece of history, and since the motor is missing the possibilities are endless for a replacement motor. How much would you guys pay for something like that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just paid 20 bucks for a model80 out of the weeds almost complete and I've had it running....offer him 25 see were it goes

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice monsterj, but they really are two very different tractors. Your 80 is a vertical crank and is belt driven versus the 86 which has a horizontal crank and is shaft driven. Though at least your tractor is complete.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A real friend would give it to you for a case of beer then let u help him drink that beer ............sorry I'm not too good on the different models yet just lurnin.. but good luck hopefully it won't just go to waste

·
Registered
206 Posts
I picked up a 129 exactly like what you describe. It has no hood, back tires, driveshaft or engine. He put it up on craigslist for $150 for weeks and kept coming down and then finally I offered him $50. He didn't want to take the offer but no one else wanted it. It could be parted out for at least $200 if theres alot of decent stuff there. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it cause you can find something complete on craigslist for not much more.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 86 is one of the more Collectable Cubs. There were only something like 2300 made. Unfortunately for you the Most hard to find parts are missing. The Kohler engine had a Model specific crankshaft to accomadate the PTO, the S.G. had a special bracket, and the muffler is just about impossible to find.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the Hood and front grill interchangeable with other cubs of that time, 108, 128, etc? Wikipedia says the 86's "broke away from having a different appearance as the bigger garden tractors", just wondering if that meant a smaller hood and front grill. Since the motor isn't there at all I don't need to worry about the crank, starter/generator, or the muffler, though there is a fair selection of K181 parts on eBay.

·
Registered
590 Posts
According to Hank Will's book Cub Cadet The First 45 years there were 8489 IH Cub Cadet 86s built. The replacement model IH Cub Cadet 800 had 2345 units built. The 800 was the lowest production IH Cub Cadet built.

The only difference between the 86 and 108-128 is the size of the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts