My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New points, condenser, and spark plugs.

Turns over but wont start. Fuel pump isnt pumping fuel when pulling the hose off the fuel pump going to the carb. Wont even start on carb cleaner or pouring gas into the throat of the carb. Points set at .020. Any other ideas before I replace the fuel pump.

PO replaced points but not condenser and spiced broken condenser/coil wire back on points to get it to run. Points still in like new condition.

Kohler KT17 Lhead twin

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Clean/change the points, check for spark.
Mouse

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
With the Ignition Switch in the on position, you should see 12-14VDC across the ( + ) positive terminal of the Ignition Coil and Battery ( - ) negative terminals. See link to diagram that was posted in this thread.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the Ignition Switch in the on position, you should see 12-14VDC across the ( + ) positive terminal of the Ignition Coil and Battery ( - ) negative terminals. See link to diagram that was posted in this thread.
Battery has 12.80v. Coil has 11.18v but 9.xx volts when engine is cranking.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Can you convert the kt17 over to electronic ignition?
I have seen it done, but, I do not recommend it.

The original parts are much more bulletproof. Replace what you got, and enjoy it for years.

I think the electronic ignition is popular with the pullers, but, what, they run their machines for 5 minutes at a time??!! :dunno:

I am a big time supporter of modern ignition, in cars where GM or Ford gotta stand behind them.

The aftermarket replacements are just money pits, :fing20: :Stop:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the ohms according to how kohler service manual said too. I'm getting 4.5 ohms on the threaded posts. Kohler manual said 4-5 ohms. Im getting 9.3 ohms on secondary resistance. Kohler manual said 9,500 to 11,500. Guess its time for a new coil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts