My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around CL for loader tractors. Found two Cubs (5234 and 5254) in the area, both reported tranny noises.

As temping as it might seem to buy these projects, I did some research, and apparently these units had a horrible habit of breaking, even when nearly new!

Worse, I've come across reviews saying that MTD/Cub couldn't fix these issues, even with a replacement tranny or entire tractor, and abandoned the model line. I'd be nervous about not being able to source parts if that's really true.

Does anyone here have good experiences with these?

The asking prices are in the neighborhood of $5k. Both allegedly run and drive, but have rear end noise.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
From the snippets I've heard mentioned, it doesn't seem like something I'd want to get involved with, personally. I wouldn't want to get a good deal on a boat anchor. Especially if they have a reputation for issues, and are both starting out with noises.

But that's just based on my high-level impressions. I'd love to learn more if these really would be good machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Cub Cadet 5234DL 54AL544-710 with an 812 FEL and 3-pt 60" finish mower that I bought new back in 2004. It now has a little over 600 hrs on it. I think mine was an earlier version of the 5234DL's and I'm not sure what changes they had made after 2005. I've maintained it by the book (oil, hydraulics, etc).

I've had none of the issues you mention with exception of replacing the front rims (due to corrosion from calcium chloride fill for weight). This was resolved with a little homework, though and it still runs great!

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, thanks!

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts