My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a Cub Cadet 3225. The guy said it was used until one cylinder started to fail. It has power steering, hydrostatic, hydraulic lift, and either a 54" or 60" deck.

I believe it has a Kohler Command CH22.

I was wondering if these engines were popular for such engine failures?

I know I have had a few of cubs and they always seem to have a bad coil. Could this be the issue here? Does these engines have one coil or two coils?

How much would someone expect to pay for one of these in this condition? He said it was approximately 2000-2003 range.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
The 3225 is a stout machine. The Kohler Commands are great engines, but neither tractor nor engine are without their 'quirks.'

If the Command has failed on one cylinder, then yes, it could be a coil (they use a separate coil for each cylinder) - but it could also be a host of other things. Proper diagnosis and check for spark, fuel, air, and compression should narrow that down. The Commands have had head gasket failures that cause one cylinder to burn oil and foul plugs. I

How far are you from that unit? Do you have the opportunity to check it out before committing?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, He lives right down the road. I will most difinitely check it out before committing. I am thinking it has a Broken Rod OR a bad coil.

It is a Twin Cylinder engine. I think he said it was a 24 or 25 hp horizontal engine. He said it was used for about 4-5 years to mow his churchs lawn. They bought it new and used it until it started to having trouble.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a chance to buy a Cub Cadet 3225. The guy said it was used until one cylinder started to fail. It has power steering, hydrostatic, hydraulic lift, and either a 54" or 60" deck.

I believe it has a Kohler Command CH22.

I was wondering if these engines were popular for such engine failures?

I know I have had a few of cubs and they always seem to have a bad coil. Could this be the issue here? Does these engines have one coil or two coils?

How much would someone expect to pay for one of these in this condition? He said it was approximately 2000-2003 range.
It all depends on the engine. If it was low hours and you were sure it was well maintained and garage-kept, $2750 is the high end. You haven't included pictures, so I don't know how bad the body is. It's hard to say without hearing it what's wrong with the one side. It could be something as cheap as plugwire or as bad as a cracked block. If it's unclear, you have to assume the worst and offer a price as if there was no engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the fella just a lil while ago and he said it will start and run like it is now. He said he did a compression test on one cylinder and he said it read that the cylinder had no compression.

Could this be a valve?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I talked to the fella just a lil while ago and he said it will start and run like it is now. He said he did a compression test on one cylinder and he said it read that the cylinder had no compression.

Could this be a valve?
Could be a valve. Could be the rings. Could be a seat. Could be a piston. Could be a score in the bore. Could be anything.

It's impossible to make any determination without good data. A differential compression test will point to the root cause of the compression loss.

Everything else is just a guess.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
With that issue and the uncertainty of it - I would say $1000 - $1200 tops is what I would pay. You may get a great deal and you may end up with what it's worth into it after repair.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I suppose the best we can tell you is that is you get it, we can help you diagnose the problem if you are prepared to work on it yourself. Several of us have Kohler Commands and you can easily get the manuals for the engines. Sometimes you have to just roll the dice.

Pictures of the disassembly would help, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts