My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather has a 3184. It's 11 yrs old with 1133 hrs. He keeps it in immaculate condition. He is having an issue with the PTO disengaging after he replaced the belts . It engages fine with no problems. When he pushed down on the switch the PTO moves a little but not completely disengaged. If you apply pressure with your hand to the PTO it completely disengages. It looks like a simple adjustment issue but I don't know enough about it to know what to adjust
Here's a video of what it is doing
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums...130460E-5601-000005581F8CCCD4_zps148ec5c0.mp4
Here's a few pics

·
That Guy
1,169 Posts
I'm afraid I can't offer any advice- but ****- that has 1100 hours on it?! Immaculate doesn't do that machine justice!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,386 Posts
That thing is in excellent condition for that many hours and is a testament to your grandfather's care and attention to detail!!:congrats: :thThumbsU

I watched the video and it seems that the vacuum canister is operating correctly so your problem is mechanical or possible a loose or missing spring.. remove the actuating assemble and examine it for any signs of rubbing/binding. Reassemble /lubricate the joint and try it again..

:goodl:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If the pulley bracket isn't binding at all, the most likely issue is that the return spring is not properly located on the frame or bracket end.

Also, that is the cleanest 3K Series tractor Ive ever seen in used unrestored condition. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. He does take good care of it. He's still using a cub cadet dump cart that he bought 40 +/- years ago. Ill get a picture of it sometime

Ill take a look at his tractor again, the next time I go to his house. That will probably bee around a week for now. I mow his neighbors (my great uncle) yard. So it will probably need mowed again soon. I use my great uncle mower to mow his yard. It is a 2000 series of about the same age. I think it has a little less than 400 hours on it

EDIT: I didnt realize that you can see part of the cart/trailer in the back ground of the second pic.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is a hard tube vacuum line that goes with the wiring harness to under the dash. This lets the bellows fill with air after the vacuum is removed. This sucks in dirty air and will clog after a few years. To test remove this hose near the vacuum solenoid, if it disengages properly now its clogged. Wire and compressed air can usually clear it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts