My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am going to look at a Cub Cadet model 2140 tomorrow. I spoke to the owner and he says that when he recently moved, the movers rolled the tractor while it was in gear and now the transmission will not shift. And now will not start either. He said it was running fine before all this.
He took it to a local lawn mower repair shop and they told him it needs a new transmission. Does anyone have any similar experience with this type of tractor. It has the AGS transmission. Do you think it would be worth $200 like it is?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question. This tractor has the Onan engine. I have a bad hill in my yard. Does this engine have an oil pump?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I bet it needs a clutch. The onan motor has aoil pump and its a pressurized system..fine for your hills

·
10K and Climbin!
12,448 Posts
Hi All,
I am going to look at a Cub Cadet model 2140 tomorrow. I spoke to the owner and he says that when he recently moved, the movers rolled the tractor while it was in gear and now the transmission will not shift. And now will not start either. He said it was running fine before all this.
He took it to a local lawn mower repair shop and they told him it needs a new transmission. Does anyone have any similar experience with this type of tractor. It has the AGS transmission. Do you think it would be worth $200 like it is?
Thanks
$200? Maybe.. How many hours on the thing? Is the tractor in good shape/ look like it's been taken care of? I've had some luck on getting the stuck tranny to shift by rocking the thing back & forth while trying to move the shift lever.. As far as the engine goes- Does it turn over via the key & not start? Check the usual places- gas, spark & compression.. Pull & read the plugs (usually a B&S 13.5 hp engine on these) If it doesn't turn over by key- try turning engine by hand to make sure it's not siezed up.. So many questions!! If you lived closer I do have a AGS tranny in the shop under the bench.. I see these tractors alot on CL so it's your call either way and if it isn't too hurt they are nice mowing tractors.. :goodl:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The Onan is a good engine. If it cranks over but won't start it is likely a simple electrical issue. If you get it and want to replace the transaxle, send me a pm. I have a good AGS from a cub with a blown Kohler.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I brought it home yesterday. I fooled around with the transmission a little trying to get it to move. I was able to get it to move all the way to 1st and maybe back to 2nd, it's hard to tell for sure. It is much harder to push. I could not get it to go into neutral. Thanks for the replies and I may be getting in touch about the transmission. It seems to be in good shape. The engine seems very clean and the exhaust does not look like it smokes. For a 15 year old tractor I think it looks good.
Now for the bad news. I can not get the engine to turn over, not a click anywhere. The battery has plenty of juice. I found and checked all the fuses I could find. All the wiring looks factory new. So I thought the ignition switch may be bad. I took it out and the (what I think is the ground) post was loose. It has 6 posts and 5 connect with one plug and the 6th plug is the one that was loose. I soldered it and it appears to be firm now. But it still did not change anything. Does anyone know how to test this ignition switch?
I have bypassed the seat safety switch with no luck. I will try to post some pictures later today.
Thanks,
Lynn

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joel. Even though it looks good for it's age, the pictures don't pick up the flaws. The PO did some repainting on the deck and fendors which helps it to look good. I am still looking for info on the ignition switch. I did get the transmission back into 6th gear and can roll it better now. When I turn the ignition switch there is zero reaction.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd jump from the positive battery terminal to the big red lead on the starter to see if it turns over. There might be a safety switch that isn't satisfied, causing no power to the ignition. For example, the one for the seat, the one for the parking brake, etc..

Joel

·
Registered
101 Posts
WOW I just bought a 2145 hst for 350, looks like it came from the bottom of the pond, never seen a new tractor so rusty. Bought it unseen. Mine didnt turn either, the 2 fuses had bad connection on the right side, and the brake safety sw is acting up. try the brake a couple times. You can always take a piece of wire and with keys on jump from red battery to the small wire in the starter. It will bypass everything but it will crank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Late this afternoon I was tinkering with the ignition switch and I actually got the hour counter to start counting and the lights would come and go. So there is definatley a problem with the ignition switch so I will replace it first and then go from there.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,448 Posts
Late this afternoon I was tinkering with the ignition switch and I actually got the hour counter to start counting and the lights would come and go. So there is definatley a problem with the ignition switch so I will replace it first and then go from there.
The best way to chase this problem down is with a test light.. Pull the Ign. switch outta the dash and leave the plug on. Hook the lite to Ground & test on battery pos(+) to insure it's hooked up right..

With key in OFF, test for 12V + on the switch (marked 'B' on back of switch).. If there then OK. If not- Blown fuse or broken /bad wire.

Next, tern key to 'Run" position and find another wire with 12V+. (yellow I think) if not, switch is bad. If good-->

Turn the key to the 'Start' position and test for another wire with 12V+ at it. (The terminal will be marked with a 'S' on the sw.).. If no voltage- sw. is bad.. If good--> you have a bad interlock switch or bad connection sumwhere..

Chase the start circuit voltage in this manner wherever the wiring takes you. (Interlocks= Seat switch, PTO Relay under dash & brake switch. Follow this to the Solenoid and if Start voltage is present there but no action.. The solenoid is bad.. Hope this makes some sense to you.. As ever reply with questions, answers or winning lottery numbers!! :goodl:

PS: The tranny sometimes gets hung up when things aren't lined up correctly.. once you get the thing running and work it through the gears it should loosen up and shift more better..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using the method you described I was able to determine that the ignition switch is bad and will to get a new one. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I called all the local places looking for an ignition switch today with no luck. Ended up having to buy one off of Ebay. Maybe it will be here by the weekend and I can get it to crank or even start.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,448 Posts
Just for giggles try removing all the plugs and cleaning all of the connectors with contact cleasner /a wire brush.. It has worked for me in the past a few times.. Dang- that thing looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!! Nice grab there Bull!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My new ignition switch has been shipped so maybe I will have it by Friday. And by the way, it has 502 hours on the meter. You had asked a few days ago and I had never answered. Hopefully I can squeeze out a few more year of grass cutting out of it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the switch arrived and I installed it. The lights come on and the hour meter counts but she still will not turn over. Next will be to check these safety switches I keep hearing about. I know there is one on the seat, brake and the PTO. Is that all there is? Is there a picture or diagram of where the brake and PTO switches are located?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news and bad news. I got her to turn over and crank. The engine seems to run good with no obvious issues. Now the bad news. The transmission seems to be in 6th gear and it does go forward and backward but seems to have a problem like I have read that a lot of other 2140's have. It will not go up hill at all and in reverse either. So next I will try to find these shims that I have read about. After that will be the transmission issues.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,448 Posts
Bad news indeed.. You now have no choice but to remove the drive clutch assy and replace the clutches.. Th previous owner was a dumba$$ and drove the thing like a hydro which toasts the AGS clutches:banghead3

I'd just look for a replacement tranny cuz it sounds like there is more trouble beside the clutches.. Scan EB and CL and scan local shops & junkyards for a suitable replacement.. (search like this: cub cadet 21*0 as all of the 21series with zeros @ the end have the same tranny) Lots of these units around and I see them all the time for sale cheap..

**If you travel north I still have one in the barn.. :goodl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts