My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

First real post here - so glad I found these forums, they have been a great help already. I have a CC 2130 AGS that has had the AGS transmission removed and replaced with the hydrostatic version from a 2135. This 2130 was gifted to me, and when I received it, it would not run at all. Hobbs meter says it only has 150 hours, but it looks like it was left outside in the rain and sun for well over a decade. So far, I have:
- replaced the fuel pump
- replaced fuel filter
- replaced choke cable
- partially rebuilt carb and replaced air filter
- replaced transmission fan (or what was left of it)
- replaced engine oil and filter
- replaced transmission fluid and filter

I am over the two big hurdles of getting the engine to run and finding that the transmission works. I am stuck on what I think is a safety switch issue, but I'm not very good with electrical stuff, and do not know this mower that well.

There are two switches activated via the brake pedal and shaft. The first one, and the one nearest the pedal, seems to be the start safety. This is the one that must be depressed to start the mower, and is depressed when the pedal is pushed in. The second switch is on the opposite side of the mower and is depressed by the shaft when the pedal is released. Not sure what this is for yet.

When I release the brake pedal, the engine stops. I can trick this switch and keep it depressed which lets me drive the mower. However, if I try to engage the PTO, the engine also stops. If anyone can tell me what's wrong or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody can point me in the right direction here? Now that the weather is warming up, I really need to get this fully working ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I think the issue is in the seat safety switch. By the symptoms you're experiencing, it acts like you are not closing that circuit, which will affect the PTO operation but still let you start the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - thank you jsoluna!!! Since I had the whole deck off, I had actually joined those two wires together. Once I separated them, the mower ran fine, the PTO comes on with no issues! I have been putting this off for months! Thanks so much for responding - really appreciate it!

·
10K and Climbin!
11,961 Posts
I think the issue is in the seat safety switch. By the symptoms you're experiencing, it acts like you are not closing that circuit, which will affect the PTO operation but still let you start the engine.
I concur. The seat switch not showing occupied will kill the engine. These tractors are safety enigmas. The Switch you see on the other side of the machine inside the frame rail is the Reverse safety switch. The engine and PTO will be killed every time you go into reverse with the PTO engaged if it works as designed. There are a few variations such as RIO but not usually..

Safety Interlocks:

START: BRAKE DEPRESSED AND PTO SWITCH OFF position.
PTO: BRAKE OFF, SEAT SWITCH ON (occupied) , NOT IN REVERSE.

There are two relays under the dash that also come into play with the interlocks. The Safety interlock relay and the PTO relay. They are common failures as well.

Here's one from a 2160 which is the same machine with a bigger motor:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks WNYTractorTinkerer - that schematic and info is definitely something I want to hang on to. It'll only be a matter of time before something else goes!

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Wow - thank you jsoluna!!! Since I had the whole deck off, I had actually joined those two wires together. Once I separated them, the mower ran fine, the PTO comes on with no issues! I have been putting this off for months! Thanks so much for responding - really appreciate it!
Glad it was a simple fix :)

·
10K and Climbin!
11,961 Posts
***You will be replacing the Seat Safety switch?? right? :Stop:

We cannot encourage folks to disable Safety Interlock systems in MTF.. You can do this temporarily to troubleshoot though. Better safe than sorry MM..
Just a friendly caution for ya..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct - I will be replacing. For various reasons, I had the entire running board (obviously including seat and switch itself) removed for an extended period. Hence the temporary bypass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi great read, but my father in law just gave me a 1994 ags 2130, he hasn't used it in a few years I would like to service it and am looking for advice. like engine and trans fluid type I called a dealer is it true I can only get the gear fluid from them or is there an equivalent aftermarket. also how do you post pictures on here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've heard of equivalents to save a little $, but my advice is to get the cub HyTran. Why take the chance? Parts are $$$

Sent from the mountains

·
Registered
130 Posts
To post pic with PC go to advance message and at top of gray window top set of symbols beside the smiley face is a paper clip used to attach pics and go to download from PC

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I agree with the post on fluids...as far as the hydro, go with OEM..after many posts the jury is still out on aftermarket fluids, and trans filters, the tranny repairs are just too expensive to take a chance, they may be fine and many have used them, but I never have and have not incurred any fluid related or filter related repairs. And the length between changes is large so why take chances ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I just bought a 2140 AGS with the a
6 speed geared transmission. I was wonder where those safety relays are that the deck hooks to, to ground the circuit that has the pto safety magnets release the front flywheel pulley. Bought it on Craigslist Friday for 75 dollars after an idiot had it out for free. A guy picked it up. It runs like a tank. Just the guy who wanted it scrapped complained about the pto not working. Yeah. It moves when you manually spin it. Just that the switch to ground the magnets to shut off their current isn't connected. Was told about the safety line by a friend who runs a small engine and equipment salvage and repair shop. Transmission is smooth and awesome. I just need to remember to keep it in first gear when I kick the reverse clutch in. As it kicks very well. Any pointers on where underneath the tractor it is located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
And start up procedure is like so. Shift the shifter to neutral. Then press in the brake. Pull the choke. Turn the key all the way right. When it starts to put. Keep holding the break. And push in the choke. Now. If it's a gear model. The pedals are your clutch engaged on. If you press them. Only do so for going fowards and backwards. Depress them only when you shift or for breaking. As the N on the shifter column is actually a park for the transmission. As when the gas and reverse pedals engage the clutch to make you go fowards and backwards. You must depress them for a true neutral to shift. Like the old card were like with the tree shift style. That's how I use my 2140 AGS which is the correct way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts