My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ancient(1982-ish) CC 1811 appears dead. The engine(Kohler M18S) has occasionally begun revving on its own(high-low-high-low) for a few years. three days ago the high-low rev became very severe, and the engine died. I was able to restart it, but it would repeat the same sequence, then die. Each time I restarted, it died more quickly.
Yesterday, I could even start the thing. Since then, I've recharged the battery(it was very low). I also noticed a strong gasoline smell from the engine yesterday. The spark plug was also wet with gas. Does this sound like a fuel filter problem? Or fuel pump(I'm not sure this engine HAS a fuel pump). Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Yeah it has a pump. Reving severely is not a sign of a failing fuel pump nor is a wet plug. Might be the govenenor failing, we're not there and can't really diagnose with the info given. It's probably lived it's life though, time for a rebuild or repower. Get yer hands dirty.

Scott

·
Registered
469 Posts
fuel pumps are big prblems with the twin engines. They leak fuel in the crank case. But the govenor is even a bigger problem which is the problem you have. Be careful I've heard the a exploding govenor will take out an engine by coming apart. They also can take the block out.
Murph is correct you should look at the gov first. Not easy to do with the engine in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts