My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been using this guy hard for some years now. Something has finally let go... My son was moving some dirt with it and said it was moving fine, got off tractor, got back on engaged 1st gear moved a foot then it stopped moving... We towed it back to the garage and inspected a couple things... Both shears pins are not broken, driveshaft spins when in gear ( tractor axle up on stands ) but drive wheels do not spin. One thing I notice, while rear wheels up, I rotate one side forward usually the other side will rotate in opposite direction. That does not happen in this current situation. So right now I think something in the rear end let go. Any thoughts would be greatly appropriated...

·
Registered
10 Posts
You say the drive shaft is spinning so if you have tried the transmission in different gears and it still does not turn the rear tires then I would suspect the trouble is in the rearend. However in full disclosure I have no hands on experience with the Cub Cadet 122.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch setup is fine... The spiral pin by the side bribe is goof the shear pin by the transaxle is good. I was hoping something a bit more useful, what’s got me wondering is my comment about the drive wheels.

Tractor is on jack stands, in the past when rotating any rear wheel the other would rotate in the opposite direction, I know that is how this geardrive works with this rearend... Right now it does not rotate at all, all though you do see some very very very slight friction movement, and I mean the smallest amount. Pretty sure that’s a bad sign... Perhaps the snap rings let go or the woodruff key let go in the rearend?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
OK, if you are certain that the Clutch is working as it should, then the next I would check is the "coupler" to the transmission input shaft. There are two "spirol" pins that connect the Drive Shaft to the Input Shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I will check. I checked the solid pin at the coupler. Did not realize that there were more spiral pins in that location.

Ok in the past when tractor drive tires off the ground, when turning one side forward the other drive wheel would turn in the opposite direction.

Now with tires up off the ground. Spin one side the other side does not turn at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Differential is working when they spin opposite directions and the transmission is in gear. One side could move with the transmission out of gear or the roll pins broken. Roger

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here you see the damage on the rear end... Should I look for good used inner parts or the whole axle?

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I said both sides do not move in any direction... As asked replace entire axle or just the inner parts... I am inclined to replace the inner parts so I can keep the axle with the correct vin number...Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
16,765 Posts
Nice looking 122. Looks like a real workhorse, but having dual ags on back and ags on front probably supplied the torque needed to frag those gears. Just my 2¢. Hope you can find the needed parts. Don't know if the rear on a 123 is same as 122 but this has been on for sale here on CL. Was a 122 up about week ago but no longer. Here's the link to the 123 just in case. I could help with pick up if needed to help hold it. https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/d/thompson-ridge-ih-123-tractor/6988879220.html
MikeC

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand I can use any gear drivin rearend from similar models, but can I use hydro drivin rearend for the replacement of the inner parts?

·
Administrator
16,765 Posts
I understand I can use any gear drivin rearend from similar models, but can I use hydro drivin rearend for the replacement of the inner parts?
Chking #s on parts tree looks like they aren't compatible. Also struck out on a 108 also for sale down here. There is a running 100 that all the numbers do match (of the six that I checked in the rear) but guy is looking for 600. Prob not worth it.
MikeC

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone Yes the double set of ags on the back do supply some serious traction. When I get her back up and moving, I will use just single set ags to see how she feels...

I think to Make sure I have no issues with the reared inner parts I will just search for model 122 rearend...

Thanks for searching and helping... Stay in touch if any show up in your areas...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts