My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola -

Had an misfire on Cyl 2; swapped the plugs side to side but it remained on the right cyl. Replaced both coils but now have no spark.... what did I do wrong? Possible to install them upside down? Something else?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Is the new coil somehow grounded out accidentally? Can you disconnect the coil's ignition-kill ground wire, to see if anything changes?

Is the coil's gap to the flywheel set correctly? Using a business card is a common way to set the gap.

BTW- Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ..... Dropped my business card in. Had to invert one of them as the spade was in a different spot on one of them and didn't want to pull on the wire. Getting zero spark on either cylinder. Not a lot to these, I jumped the pressure switch on the seat.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've only done one coil replacement, on a Briggs twin. It went smoothly, so not much troubleshooting experience came from it.

• Are the basics all checked? Blades turned off, tranny in neutral, brake fully depressed, etc? It wouldn't be the first time I've had trouble with an engine because I forgot to turn something on or off.
  • What if you disconnect the ignition-kill wire that presumably is connected to the coil? At the moment, you can't really distinguish between a bad coil, and something grounding out the ignition for whatever reason. If you still don't get spark with the kill-wire disconnected, then it's easier to confirm the coil is having a problem.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would think so. There is usually a somewhat small wire that just grounds out the coil, when you turn the ignition off, etc.

You could also get out a multimeter and start checking for continuity to ground. But I think the simplest place to start is remove that wire, and see if you get spark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, cut the wire ties on the bundle and found a lot of exposed copper from abrasion. Going to have to run down the short, as I taped up everthing I could see but when I connect the kill wire to #1 I lose spark. With just number 2 connected, both plugs spark. It's only 10" of wire between 1 and 2 and I wrapped the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hopefully someone else can chime in. Mine was more like just 1 coil, IIRC, and I certainly didn't run into weird differences between them. So I'd kinda be guessing, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't clear.... The kill wires are badly abraded, the insulation worn off to bare wire so its showing and shorting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts