My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad gave me his old 1024. It's been sitting for 2/3 years. He parked it when he bought a zero turn.

It has the 24hp Briggs. I brought it home and put a battery in it and fresh gas and it fired right up.
It seems to run and mow fine, but I only had it running for 15/20 minutes. Turns out it's leaking engine oil. As bad as the oil was coming out I thought the crank case had a hole in it. I took a few covers off and it looks like it's a seal near the bottom of the engine.

My question is how much could I expect to pay to have the seal replaced? I don't have the time or the patience to do it myself. Before kids I might have tried the repair myself. Would it be worth fixing a nearly 20 year old cub cadet?

It's mowing season and used mowers are going for $500 to as much as you want to spend. I'm thinking if I can get it fixed under $500 it might be worth it.

What say you?

·
Gravely1964
3,932 Posts
Worst part of the job will be getting the drive belt pulley off. They can be a flat out nightmare sometimes. As far as takeing the sump bolts out and scraping gasket off. And removing the oil pan is pretty easy. Pretty much expect too, need drive belt pulley, crank seal and new oil pan(sump gasket). I'd say all depending on pulley removal time, 2 perhaps 3 hours shop labor on a bad one.

Were 75 an hour at work. So pretty easy could have $300 in haveing a shop do it. Thats a very rough guesstimate

·
2,482 Posts
Welcome to MTF.
Try tightening those bolts to the left and right of your arrow... don't go nuts, but see if they feel loose.

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
The engine needs to come out and you'll need to remove the sump (the whole bottom part of the engine) and replace the sump gasket.

The gasket set will come with new crankcase bolts, as they are "torque to yield" and not supposed to be reused.

It's kind of a big job, but not super-complex. Probably some youtube how-to vids...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the engine out of my 1050 right now for the same thing. I got lucky and the pulley came of with just some pressure with a pry bar. I was expecting a fight as it had the original belt and never has been off. Pretty easy once the pulley is off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts