My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 model Cub Cadet with a 7 horse K161 motor. I plan to restore it for regular use as a mower. I also have a 12 horse K301 setting in the shop.

Will the 301 'bolt in' the Cub 73 tractor with no modifications? I can rebuild either engine, but thought I might as well put the 12 horse in it if possible.

Any help here appreciated. I'll probably post this in a couple different forums.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just make sure they have the same oil pan the bolt pattern has two different types

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug. I'll check bolt patterns sometime in the next couple days. There's no possibility of the 12 horse 'overpowering' the tranny or deck, is there?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No Cub used the same trany on all models just changed looks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The K301 will bolt in your 73 if the the motor is out of another Cub Cadet. Best to have a comeplete K301 that has starter/generator bracket, front pulley, carb and air cleaner. You need to find a mounting bracket and fuel tank from a 12 horsepower narrow frame Cub.

The oil pan on your K301 should look like this one:
http://www.cubclassics.com/used002.jpg
A wide base oil pan has mounting holes on the outside edge of the oil pan.

I have a IH Cub Cadet 86. It had an 8 horsepower motor from the factory. It now has a 14 horse power motor in it.
The following things needed change or modified on the 86:
1. Throttle cable needs shorten or replace with one from a 10 through 16 horsepower.
2. Bracket that holds starter on the motor needs to be from a 12 thru 16 horsepower motor.
3. Pulley for starter/generator and pto clutch needs to be from a 10 thru 14 horsepower motor.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Hang onto the 7hp though. They seem to sell pretty high on the 'bay. Restorers are looking for them to fir the originals. (and they disguise fairly well)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 301 is actually sitting in a Massey 1200 right now. I bought tractor and all a while back. The Massey is pretty rough, but the fellow I bought it from said it ran when he parked it. It appears to be complete.

I'll definitely hang onto the 7 horse. I might even decide to go ahead and rebuild it instead of building the 12 horse. I could always build a 'Super 12' and sell it or keep it around as a spare. I also just bought a Snapper 1650a with a 16 horse Kohler in it. Tractor only needs a tuneup and a belt to go and mow. The 12 ought to bolt into it and if I happen to build a 'Super 12' it'd be more than enough to power the Snapper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts