My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a ton of 5252 Cub Cadets on ebay. Is there something up with that series? The sale prices appear to be decent for what all is included, usually belly mower, blade for around $5000. My grandpa is looking for something to replace his aging Kuboata.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I did some research earlier this year before purchasing a 6284 Cub. From what I could gather the 5000 series had some bad problems with the hydrostatic transmission which earned them a (apparently deserved) bad reputation. Still, I have also read posts on various sites where 5000 series owners have been very happy with their tractors.

Supposedly the 6284 was designed with a much beefier hydrostatic trans and not prone to the same problems. I have been happy with my 6284 so far.

I guess I would recommend examining any 5000 series purchase extremely carefully before buying to avoid purchasing someone else's problems. Having said that, if you find one that does not have problems it could be a fantastic deal considering the amount of tractor per dollar. The 5000 series reputation apparently spread to the 6000 series and I was able to purchase mine for many thousands of dollars less than you would pay for a comparable green or orange tractor.

I hope this is helpful - good luck!

JN

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you do a search you will find a topic about them. Apparently they're lemons that even MTD factory reps can't fix and that's why you find them so cheap. If I see that link again I post it here for you.

Save yourself some grief and avoid them.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I didn't know if they were going so because because of the merger with yanmar or what...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have to say the so far my 6284 has been very good. I did seem to have a bit of a hydro issue early on but with the replacement of the upgrade hydraulic filter it seems to be working very well. The information that I got was that they redesigned the 5200 Series to make the 6284 adding a much heavier duty hydrostatic transmission and a 28 HP Perkins diesel engine.

I do believe that the 5200 series reputation followed the 6284 series and hurt the value. Good news for me since I got a great price on my tractor and far more tractor per dollar than I could have gotten on a comparable tractor of another brand - even used. Perhaps you should set your sights on a 6284 which is an improved model and still suffers depressed prices.

I currently use mine with a FEL, bush hog to mow trails and orchard, 6' finish mower to mow 2.5 acres of lawn, a box blade to groom 600' gravel drive, and a boom I use for logging - it works great.

JN

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Brent-JD3320 had a Cub 6284 that was bought back by Cub under the lemon laws. He may chime in or not but if you do a search on his posts you will run across some of his experiences with his.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've haven't looked much at the 6000 series. My grandfather's purposes are for brush hogging a 2.5 acre field, pulling cut logs (16 ft lengths), plow, disc... He's never had a FEL or backhoe. The log pulling is one of his biggest concerns, he needs something to drag the timber back up to his house. He's 74... He didn't want to spend new money on a machine he doesn't know how long he is going to be able to use (I use it 80% anyway :))

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just spent a weekend in the woods cutting and dragging logs for firewood with my 6284. I have a boom on the 3 point and along with an 8' chain it did everything we wanted. A couple of things to keep in mind:

Don't use the fully extended end of the boom to lift heavy logs - hook to the boom where it is re-enforced half way between the end and the 3 point. When you hook to the end the leverage is enough to easily pull the front wheels way off the ground and I can imagine that you could possibly flip over backwards in extreme situations. A short hook up on the boom reduces that possibility.

If you shut off the tractor while the weight of the logs are still on the boom and then proceed to cut the log until it is gone be very careful when you restart the tractor. The three point will immediately jerk up as it restores to the 'unloaded' height. This can be avoided by letting the boom down before starting the tractor.

It was nice to pull long logs out from the brambles and poison ivy into the trail for cutting. I left the logs dangle and just moved up the log undercutting into the final lengths. I was working with mostly 8 - 12" diameter logs, up to twenty feet in length. I don't think you are going to lift and drag a 16" or larger log of 16' length with the boom unless you can get a very short hook on it. I do have a loader but no additional weight on the front end, but I am satisfied with the work I was able to do.

I just purchased a used 3 point log splitter that uses a large 'screw' to split the wood. Next weekend I will get to try it out on the wood I cut this last weekend.

JN

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are very good reasons why these 5000 Series machines are showing up for sale so cheaply. I purchased a 2004 model brand new. In under 125 hours of operation I went through 2 transmissions, a broken front axle, a down hill free wheeling incident due to one of the faulty transmissions slipping out of gear and a cracked fender pan due to faulty original installation.

After all the problems with the first 5000 Series, Cub/MTD took it back and gave me a brand new 2005 5000 Series tractor. This tractor had a "bad" engine that the dealer's mechanic could not fix, a Cub/MTD tech could not fix and a Diahatsu tech could not fix. This engine would drastically lose power under load.

Cub Cadet offered me a 3rd 5000 Series tractor. I turned down the offer and asked for a 6284 instead. Cub would not do that because the Cub dealer said they were having several problems with that model too, mostly with the transmission.

Cub refunded all the money I ever spent on the tractor including the accessories I bought. Cub did not even prorate the refund. Cub was reasonable to work with regarding these issues and my dealer was great. The only good thing about the tractor was the mowing deck, it did a great job.

Bottom Line: Do not buy a 5000 Series Cub Cadet. If you are set on buying a Cub, buy the Yanmar built Cub Cadet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have A 5234d With Cuds Problem Tranny Electical I Would Also Stay Away From A 5000
But Cub Is Taking It In On Trade Bought New In 2004 Has Around 300hr ?? Meter Does Not Work
The Dealer Is No Longer In Business This Was A Hold Up In Getting A New One Should Have New 2400sc Lext Week Remember Every Company Has Problems I Think Cub Is Doing A Great Job Fixing This One

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I Have A 5234d With Cuds Problem Tranny Electical I Would Also Stay Away From A 5000
But Cub Is Taking It In On Trade Bought New In 2004 Has Around 300hr ?? Meter Does Not Work
The Dealer Is No Longer In Business This Was A Hold Up In Getting A New One Should Have New 2400sc Lext Week Remember Every Company Has Problems I Think Cub Is Doing A Great Job Fixing This One
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum. WE will also need pics of your new tractor when you get it and a review of it. slkpk

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
My 6284D was taken back after it was in the shop more than three separate times for hydraulic system problems and the death nail was when the "pickup truck" section of the frame almost ripped off from the cast iron hydrostatic/transmission.

The machine was never abused it was not my first machine with a backhoe and I believe it was actually the Cub branded Rotomec finish mower (3Pt) that was tearing the machine apart.

It was sad because the cub dealer is as good as they come, and I didn't want to put him in the middle of it. His mechanic wanted to weld the egg holed frame holes shut and redrill and that was the point where I said, this machine was twenty nine thousand dollars, it's been in the shop more than it's been in my garage and by the 40 hour mark was ready to snap in two. He called Cub and they obviously knew there was issues, they issued a full refund (100% inc tax) took it back to destroy it and I went to the Deere dealership.

Turns out for a grand more I got a 3320, hoe, 60" 7Iron deck, FEL all brand spankin new and the machines aren't even on the same page let alone the same class.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a great Cub dealer as well. But after so many serious problems with my 5000 Series tractor, MTD took it back, refunded 100% of my money and I went as Green as I could go.

This was definately not some isolated incident or just a very few and far between Lemon. There are well known, frequent serious problems with these tractors. I even asked my dealer if Cub would replace my 5234D with a 6284 instead of a refund and he wouldn't do it because all of the problems with the 6284 as well, so I got my refund.

·
In Bristol Baby!
10 Posts
Bump on this thread as a thank you. I had a neighbor selling one with 380 hours and a 60 inch deck on it for $2500 and he was willing to take some of my older more worn out stuff on partial trade. It appeared to be in really good shape. He got it at an auction and just cleaned and serviced it. I was ready to pull the trigger but told him I wanted to do some research first. You guys delivered.

I will keep shopping.

·
16,230 Posts
Bump on this thread as a thank you. I had a neighbor selling one with 380 hours and a 60 inch deck on it for $2500 and he was willing to take some of my older more worn out stuff on partial trade. It appeared to be in really good shape. He got it at an auction and just cleaned and serviced it. I was ready to pull the trigger but told him I wanted to do some research first. You guys delivered.

I will keep shopping.
///////////////////

Ok--goof for you--that's where a forum as this is in-valuable. BTW--Welcome to MTF from another Virginian!!!

glenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts