My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I am racking my brain here trying to get spark to an old 383 hydro with an 11hp B&S. I have gone through the entire electrical system to try and figure out why I have no or very little spark . I have replaced the starter, the solenoid, and the ignition coil (gapped at .010"). I've traced all the wires and cleaned the magnets/stator and everything seems okay but still no dice. I have a couple questions also - the coil has two wires - one bare and one with black casing on it, which were both attached to the mounting bolts when I got the tractor (non-running). I have read some other place that one of the wires went to the stud on the throttle plate but the wire was way to short. So does the wire really go there or does it attach to the coil? Also, another question - it does turn over quite well but I thought there still may be a problem with the safety switches that could be causing the machine to have no spark. I would think though that is there was a problem with those that it wouldn't turn over at all. Any thoughts? I hope someone out there has an actual schematic as looking at black and white pictures is making me cross-eyed. I would appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thanks guys!

Justin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey RBedell,
Thank you for the diagram, it is much appreciated! Mine is a little different though as if has a safety switch on the PTO and it has a cutoff going to the throttle plate too. The PTO has two wires - both black, one goes to the frame under the seat as a ground and the other goes to the throttle plate. The throttle plate has a white which comes off it that goes to the key I think ( I'm not looking at it right now so don't quote me). I just don't get this as I can get a little spark but that's it....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts