My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does amsoil have any products that will work in the hydro transmission of my cub cadet 3206. It calls for the very expensive cub oil. I mow professionally and have to change fluid every 100 hrs which comes about frequently.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does amsoil have any products that will work in the hydro transmission of my cub cadet 3206. It calls for the very expensive cub oil. I mow professionally and have to change fluid every 100 hrs which comes about frequently.
Greetings !
Many companies are coming out with " special lubricants" for their products, in most cases it's a marketing gimmick to sell a higher priced product to boost profits. The cub oil you refer to is called cub cadet drive sytem fluid plus, the "plus" part is the keyword to charge the customer more for a synthetic blend hydrostat oil.
The synthetic blend will perform better than regular petroleum hydro oil, but at over $10 per quart you could just as well buy a premium chemically engineered hydrostat oil from Amsoil that ouperforms any product on the market for less money.
If you purchase Amsoil ATH transmission/Hydraulic fluid through my website, it will cost you $8 per quart, If you contact me I will set up a wholesale account for you which will save you 25% which brings the price down to $6 per quart.
Here is a link to Amsoil ATH Transmission/hydraulic oil :
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-hydraulic-oil?zo=531421
Please let me know how I may be of service to you !
Thank you!
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don,

I know this is an old thread, but I would lime to know if your wholesale account offer is still available and applicable to friends in Canada.

I have a Cub Cadet 2206 which appears to be the little brother to the 3206. Which product do you recommend? The link was to a list of products.

Thanks.
(sorry for the any errors, i'm getting used to my playbook)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Moto-breeder !
If you would like a wholesale account, please pm, or email me and I will contact you for information for the account.
Thank you !
Have a great day !
Don

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in on the Cub Drive System Fluid Plus.

When it came time to change my hydro fluid and filter, I searched for alternatives because of the cost of the Cub Fluid. I tried two different brands and weights, one synthetic, one dino oil. I used a new filter with each one, and neither of the fluids performed like the Cub Drive System Fluid Plus. In the end, I had to buy the Cub stuff - it was the only thing that brought my hydro operation back to normal.

That being said, it is basically a 10w-40 Shell synthetic blend oil, spec Shell TTF-SB. HydroGear(maker of the hydro pump in both 2000 and 3000 Series ) recommends 20w-50 heavy duty engine oil. There are plenty of documented cases in which Cub Cadet owners have switched to a different oil than the Cub stuff and had great results. I, personally, did not - but I am the exception to the rule it seems.

I think that Amsoil would be a great replacement fluid for the Cub stuff - but you won't know for sure until you try it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Don,
Sorry to bring this thread back from the (nearly) dead, but I have a question regarding Amsoil products for my Cub 1862 hydraulics/transmission. The tractor's literature states to only use Hy-Tran but I can't find anyone local who carries this specific fluid and the local Cub dealer says it's over-priced and not absolutely the only thing that can be used. I did a fluid/filter change when I first got the machine and I refilled with Traveller Universal Trans/Hydraulic fluid which states it's an acceptable substitute for Hy-Tran. Truth be told after about 80 hours on the new fluid, it seems to work just fine but as the weather has turned colder I have noticed it takes a little while for the trans/sump to warm up and the operation of the hydraulics/steering/transmission is just a bit more sluggish than when the weather is warm. In reviewing the products on the Amsoil site, I came across the Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission fluid and was wondering if it would be a suitable replacement/enhancement for the Hy-Tran and/or the Travellers (more specifically would it work better in cold conditions than the current Travellers)? Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Pokey !
Amsoil ATH will work great in your hydro, and being a chemically engineered synthetic, it contains no paraffin wax to cause cold flow issues such as you are having with the traveller hyd fluid. It also runs 20 to 50 deg. F. cooler in the summer heat than petro based ,which greatly extends the life of the hydro, along with seals, orings, and hydraulic hose life.
Please contact me if you would like to set up a wholesale account to buy Amsoil.
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
252 Posts
I I have a 1988 Cub 1210 Hydro I changed the fluid in it last year also the filter.I ask the cub dealer what they use and he said dextron Tran fluid that what I use in my Dodge truck.I did put the cub hydo oil in the tractor but very costly.How about the Dextron 3 is that wright or was he wanting me to burn something up?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the info and quick reply Don :thanku:
I'll definitely be looking at using the Amsoil product in the spring when I do another fluid/filter change.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings Speakerman0320 !
I would not recommend ATF in your hydro, as most are 10 Weight to 20 Weight in viscosity @100 Deg. c.
Most hydrostats call for a 30 or 40 weight multi grade hydro oil.
If you go to light in viscosity you will compromise hydro life.
Amsoil ATH is a 5W30 and works super in virtually all hydrostats.
Hope this helps !
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks Don,that what I thought.And I know it gets hot.I have washed of after mowing and I see the steam coming of the rear end and trans.For a 1988 with 1400+hours is still works well and want to keep it that way.I not to smart to ask that one way to stay ahead.It want need it for a while but will check back when I need too change it again.I like to change the engine oil often around 40 hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts