My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey Randy, I don't even have a stock tail light to look at, but I'm remembering a slight angle to the lens. If you look at one isn't there a difference in the amount of red plastic from top to bottom?

Bill
Bill I had that wrong in my first post. I wrote that I flipped it upside down. That was my original intent and it would have put the back up lens in the correct spot with no modification. Since the lenses have a top and a bottom and curve upward that wouldn't work. I instead shifted the the R lens to the L side. That is why I needed to cut it out for a new back up lens

I corrected the posts to remove the wording that I flipped it. The lens has the same amount of plastic side to side but not top vs bottom. Sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
Cub Cadet models 3240 & 2165
140 Posts
Could you cut a red piece from another donor lens and glue that in the hole?

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Could you cut a red piece from another donor lens and glue that in the hole?
If I had one with a big enough piece yes. The only one I have is somewhat intact and a backup--didn't want to cut it up. The rest are so broken I don't have a big enough piece.

·
Super Moderator
38,007 Posts
If I had one with a big enough piece yes. The only one I have is somewhat intact and a backup--didn't want to cut it up. The rest are so broken I don't have a big enough piece.
Just have to go around and find all those JD taillights that are falling out to use as donors! :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I found this material on Amazon that may be an alternative, but it may need heated and formed so the adhesive will hold. It would likely hold better to the outside surface and shouldn’t be too noticeable.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I found this material on Amazon that may be an alternative, but it may need heated and formed so the adhesive will hold. It would likely hold better to the outside surface and shouldn’t be too noticeable.
It might be good for flat lights but these don't have a flat place on them.

First review:
"Won’t stick around curved areas
Reviewed in the United States on September 13, 2019

This didn’t work out for me it doesn’t stick properly when it has to make a curve so it keeps coming up at the edges .. If it was just a flat area where it needed to be applied I’m sure it would’ve worked well but it’s not in my situation"

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It might be good for flat lights but these don't have a flat place on them.

First review:
"Won’t stick around curved areas
Reviewed in the United States on September 13, 2019

This didn’t work out for me it doesn’t stick properly when it has to make a curve so it keeps coming up at the edges .. If it was just a flat area where it needed to be applied I’m sure it would’ve worked well but it’s not in my situation"
That’s why I suggested “may need heated and formed” to the shape it’s being applied to to relieve any stresses created by the bending. Most plastics will work this way. Temperature soak at about 150*F should work, but here’s a info source that says 210-220 softening temp. What I’ve seen is lower temps can achieve stress relief. Just not sure of what the adhesive will do.

Steve, is there a curve in one direction (left to right) or is there a curve top to bottom as well?

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That’s why I suggested “may need heated and formed” to the shape it’s being applied to to relieve any stresses created by the bending. Most plastics will work this way. Temperature soak at about 150*F should work, but here’s a info source that says 210-220 softening temp. What I’ve seen is lower temps can achieve stress relief. Just not sure of what the adhesive will do.

Steve, is there a curve in one direction (left to right) or is there a curve top to bottom as well?
It's curved L/R and top to bottom.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The lens had a crack thru the middle of it all the way to one side. I glued it up with the DAP primer/glue Sunday and it seems to be pretty solid. Glued the lenses in tonight with the e6000. I had to clamp the one I cut out for, the other one sat in perfect.

I'll let it cure up till the weekend and assemble it after painting the inside of the unused back up lens when my paint gets here. It's a transluscent red paint.

Product Liquid Automotive tire Tire Font

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ah - HA!

I just figured out why your having difficulty after looking at that last pic Randy.

You need to toss those green gloves and switch to Yella' :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Renster

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ah - HA!

I just figured out why your having difficulty after looking at that last pic Randy.

You need to toss those green gloves and switch to Yella' :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Renster
What's really funny about that is I have a pair of yellow and blue gloves for the garage. Couldnt find them and went to my wellhouse to get the green ones. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The e6000 glued the back up lenses up really well. I'm waiting on the red tint spray and will spray the back side of the extra lens and then glue it on to the backing. I feel like this was a success.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive side marker light Light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Cool! That is quite a surgery project, I'm glad it's going well!

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Cool! That is quite a surgery project, I'm glad it's going well!
Thanks. I'll put in a little labor rather than pay $70 for a piece of plastic. Hate paying for something I feel is highway robbery.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts