My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
You asked if you could use the output shaft on the rear of the Hydro pump for a PTO. Since it looks to be the Sustrand 15 series so I would think you could. JD's use an electric PTO clutch that connects to that to control it to the rear of the machine and I don't see why one wouldn't work on it. You of course would have to make an opening to allow the shaft to come out the rear though. Here is a link to the JD parts page for the clutch
I like it! But I don't like the $143.00 cost of the shaft that mates to the output shaft on the hydro. It does give me ideas though.....

You can find the on eBay used a lot of the time. They still command a pretty good price though. There is one model that has a reduction gear that mounts to the back of the transmission case so that isn't the one you would want. It is also the one that sells for a ridiculous price! But hopefully the idea gets you where you want to be!!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Wintertime.... lights! I have the same lights on my 212 and they are phenomenal (and cheap too)! There's no way I would want to make the originals work with the gray non-reflective housing.

Both lights installed. I couldn't use the mounting posts that came with the lights, so it's a little bit custom. They're angled down a little more than I wanted, but with the flood pattern, it doesn't make a difference.

Added a waterproof switch.

Power comes from the regulator so the lights shut off with the key even with the switch on.

One shot of the back side so you can see how the wires are routed.

I also swapped the seat from the 1440 parts tractor. It just needed a bit of Flex Seal tape on the left side.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
As the Cubsman slowly takes its place as my primary garden tractor, the JD 212 accessories get swapped out. New tires are approximately $200/pair, so swapping tires was definitely on the to-do list. Deere and Cub parts do not swap perfectly.

Both machines use a 1" axle, but when you put the JD wheel on the Cub, the axle is short by 3/16".

I picked up a steel spacer with 1" O.D. and a bronze spacer with 1/2" I.D. which happens to fit inside the steel spacer. I squeezed them together.

Then I cut two cookies 3/16" wide to fill the space on the end of the axle.

Perfect fit!

These tires are already filled with washer fluid.

Because the JD wheels sit farther outboard, the tires do not rub the axles.

The 212 gets the Cub wheels.

The Cubsman looks a little silly right now, but I'll be swapping the rear wheels soon. JD wheels have a different offset, so I'll need some spacers for that swap also.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
The rear wheel spacers arrived. Two pairs of 1.5" for a total of 3" on each side.

Mounting them up. Self-centering, no special tools needed.

This was to clear the disc brakes and valve stems. 1.5" clears the brake from the rim, but not the valve stem. These are JD rims and have a different offset than a Cub.

Tires are 26x12x12 filled with washer fluid. Next up, wheel weights. I'll try to get more pics in the daylight.

Got a few more pics in the daylight.

Tires are beastly. I'd like to find some 8 or 8.5 wide wheels for my 2 shaft drives but they are impossible to find reasonably priced in 4/4 lug pattern. I have considered trying to adapt to 5 lug for ease of finding wheels.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Updating this thread with some stuff I posted in another and something new. First, I added a sleeve hitch so I could use my implements for gardening and towing.

Pretty simple setup. I used a Harbor Freight winch and converted it from a remote switch to hard-wired toggle switch. It works good and I have changed the tiny steel pulley once as I broke it shortly after.

And this was the last pic for some time as I switched to other projects and just used it for garden duty.

This past week it has been nice hot weather, so I painted.

I didn't capture all the pieces and process, but you get the idea. Definitely not a pro paint job; there's bugs and spray lines in it if you get close enough, but I'm ok with what I got.

I may add a Cub Cadet decal or two later on. Looking at the pics just makes me want to paint the rest, and then I wouldn't want to get it dirty. But its beginning to look a little less frankensteiny now :D

Wow, this is quite a project, nice work!

My apologies for not being familiar with the machine. Are those disk brakes for each wheel? If they're independent, is that to help work around not having a locking diff, if one wheel started to spin? Or if they're actuated together, is it just to ensure you actually stop both wheels, unlike having a single brake at the input-end of the tranny? Rather than the open-diff letting one wheel slide while the other locks up.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Wow, this is quite a project, nice work!

My apologies for not being familiar with the machine. Are those disk brakes for each wheel? If they're independent, is that to help work around not having a locking diff, if one wheel started to spin? Or if they're actuated together, is it just to ensure you actually stop both wheels, unlike having a single brake at the input-end of the tranny? Rather than the open-diff letting one wheel slide while the other locks up.
Disc for each wheel so it actually stops the machine instead of just one wheel. The next model up (the Supers) had steering brakes. I could add steering brakes to it if I wanted.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.