My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 1811 awhile back one head was off and if you turned it over, the valves never moved. I was looking at E-bay and saw a cam for a super come up did the parts tree thing and turned out was the same.Long story short got it for 15 bucks and thought I would take a chance and just swap it in. Pulled it all down found the governor flew apart and broke the cam.So I replaced the governor (used) and put in the used cam and buttoned it all up and crossed my fingers. had sat for 2 years before this but as soon as It got some good fuel in the carb she started right up. Runs strong and has lots of power but makes a weird noise I'm thinking it's the teeth on the crank are a little messed up from the cam breaking. I guess I'll run it some and see if it gets better has good oil pressure (has oil sentry) and runs cool since I have next to nothing in the engine I thought it was worth a shot.Here's a few pics of the cam and engine back in it. Another thing ,anyone have a pic of how the throttle cable mounts on the engine it was off when I got it and I'm not sure I have it back on right.

Thanks all, Bob

Attachments

·
10K and Climbin!
12,270 Posts
What kind of weird noise is it?? They evoke fear just hearing about them! Just a thought- did you clean the crank bearings out when you had it apart? those little chunks of broken cam could be lurking around in there causing your noise..

·
Registered
695 Posts
When my m18 dropped the gov gear I bought a rebuilt long block. The rebuilder told me that they almost always crack the block webbing when they eat that gear. It did on mine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sqatch and WNY,Thanks for the replys first the noise is kinda hard to decribe but like I said with a screwdriver held in the block in different places to listen sounds like the gears (crank/cam) not a knocking or rattle it's more of a buzzing like loose engine tins but they are all tight, I have to admit I am much more used to the sound of my older single cylinder Cubs.When I took it apart I did inspect the case as best I could and cleaned a ton of gear teeth from the cam and governor out of it and flushed it well I had everthing out of the case sides .I ran it about an hour and dumped the oil and changed the filter .Still makes the noise but runs really good guess I will keep looking for a back up engine to keep''in the wings'' I have gotten really good at pulling this one in and out lol.

Thanks All, Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts