My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I have a chance to buy this tractor from the estate of a fellow that I knew. He kept all his stuff maintained very well including this Cub 1711 Hydro. It has 410+/- hours on it. I am not sure what year it is. What do you folks think about such a machine? Can one still get parts for these? I didn't get to look close at it but can arrange to go back and look at it closer. Were these good machines back "in the day"? I have a '75 IH108 that I have restored and it was just a bullet proof machine. Thanks for any advice. I can probably get this for cheap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Hello: I have a chance to buy this tractor from the estate of a fellow that I knew. He kept all his stuff maintained very well including this Cub 1711 Hydro. It has 410+/- hours on it. I am not sure what year it is. What do you folks think about such a machine? Can one still get parts for these? I didn't get to look close at it but can arrange to go back and look at it closer. Were these good machines back "in the day"? I have a '75 IH108 that I have restored and it was just a bullet proof machine. Thanks for any advice. I can probably get this for cheap.
It is a shaft drive garden tractor with hydraulic deck lift and manual steering and is built for heavy use. It is pretty much the same as a 782. Parts are available for it but some are no longer available but can be found on ebay. If it ran well, everything worked and I could get it for ~$500 or less I'd be proud to own it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a shaft drive garden tractor with hydraulic deck lift and manual steering and is built for heavy use. It is pretty much the same as a 782. Parts are available for it but some are no longer available but can be found on ebay. If it ran well, everything worked and I could get it for ~$500 or less I'd be proud to own it.

When did these Cubs stop being products of International Harvester? Is the fact that it is not an IH brand make it less valuable or less desirable? They have an aluminum transmission as opposed to steel for one like my IH108 (see photo of it below)? If I buy it it will not be to use it so much as to clean it and keep it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
When did these Cubs stop being products of International Harvester? Is the fact that it is not an IH brand make it less valuable or less desirable? They have an aluminum transmission as opposed to steel for one like my IH108 (see photo of it below)? If I buy it it will not be to use it so much as to clean it and keep it.
I cant speak to the collectability of any of these machines as I am a user, not a collector. I have seen a CC original fully restored sit in CL for nearly a year at $750 asking price so I don't feel these are a good investment if ROI is desired. If ya love it, buy it. To buy something like it nowadays would cost you >$6000.

Per TractorData: "In the early 1960s, International Harvester entered the small tractor market with the Cub Cadet. The IH Cub Cadets were heavy-duty garden tractors many components borrowed from the larger Cub tractor, and built at the same factory in Louisville. In 1981, International's Lawn Products Group was sold to MTD in 1981 as the subsidiary Cub Cadet Corporation (CCC) and production moved to a new factory in Brownsville, Tennessee. While initially independent, Cub Cadets began to gain more common components with the other MTD brands and are now a fully integrated part of the MTD line. The Brownsville factory was closed in 2009."

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'd go check it out closely and start it up and test every thing out. If all pretty good make a low ball offer and see what happens. Take your trailer with you and cash case they except your offer.

·
Hoosier Daddy
819 Posts
That's a quality machine, but I'd hesitate to call it a true collectible.
With that in mind, if it's nice and you can get it for a good price, I wouldn't have any qualms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts