My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been looking over a Cub 129 with a 12 horse Kohler engine. It has Bar tires with wheel weights and has a front plow, but no mowing deck. The guys says that it needs a new battery, but runs fine. I've heard it run before, but not recently. The body is in really good original shape, just very minimal rust.

I have a couple questions I was wondering if you guys could answer for me.

#1:What do you think this tractor is worth? The guy is asking $500 for it, but I'm sure I can haggle him down some

#2:If I do get this tractor, what type of mower fits up underneath this thing? Would a different model fit underneath this unit?

#3:What should I look for in these models of tractors? I know there's alot of knowledgable people on the forum that can help me point out weak spots on this mower, can you guys give me a hand?

Thanks everyone for the replies ahead of time

Matt

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Re: Cub 129 Info

The model of mower decks for the 129 would be: 38, 44, 38A, and 44A. A 50" deck would fit under it but I don't know what you are mowing cause this would be a marginal call.

The 129 is a Wide Frame Cub. They are a strong runner and much sought after.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do you think this is a good price? I can't remember exactly for sure, but I'm pretty sure this had a hydrostatic tranny...are they reliable on these models? It looked like it had a really big rear axle, but I didn't see a PTO. Can you give me some info about this model?

Thanks for the reply.

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
206 Posts

What about this deck? http://cgi.ebay.com/CUB-CADET-LT1050-DECK-50-3-BLADES-/280549024423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

This seems like a great deal on a big deck. I'm sure this thing would handle it if I went slow....
Thats not the proper deck for it.

Heres the style of deck you want. The make a similar 50 inch but the 44 inch is probably a good size for the 12 hp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cub-Cadet-1450-...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=6282188483978776349

You will also need the mule drive and the deck hangers if it does not have them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

MISTAKE!!!

I went up to look at it today. This isn't a 129, it's a 126! Should I just start a new thread?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Changed your heading to 126 No need for a new thread:thThumbsU

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 126 is a narrow frame tractor as opposed to the 129 which is a wide frame tractor. They use completely different decks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, Sorry for the misinfo. So I found out too that it has a 3 speed tranny. There's a lever beside the transmission that's missing, I don't know what's supposed to be there. Can you guys give me some info on what's all supposed to be in the middle console?

Matt

·
Registered
160 Posts
A lever beside the transmission? Are you sure you don't mean a lever in front of the transmission right between the shifter and the console? That would be a creeper drive. Not sure what other lever would be there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Okay, Sorry for the misinfo. So I found out too that it has a 3 speed tranny. There's a lever beside the transmission that's missing, I don't know what's supposed to be there. Can you guys give me some info on what's all supposed to be in the middle console?

Matt

That's a picture of my 122. The low lever in the tunnel is for the creeper gear.

With the narrow frames that are three digit, if it ends in an even number, it's a manual transmission model, if it ends in an odd number, it's hydrostatic drive. ( editted since jroy mentioned the 71 & 73 models --thanks )

The first two numbers are originally the horsepower ( I say originally because after 40 years, somebody could have changed engines to a different one )

I have two narrow frames, a 122 and a 125. The 125 is 12 hp with hydrostatic drive. The 122 is also 12 hp but with a manual three speed with creeper gear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The creeper drive was an option. The slot will always be in the tunnel cover on all of them but the extra gear box was an option and can be added if you can find the creeper box and the shorter driveshaft.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not always, though that works for most of them, the 71 and 73 were manuals.
You're correct, I editted to read this way now

With the narrow frames that are three digit, if it ends in an even number, it's a manual transmission model, if it ends in an odd number, it's hydrostatic drive. ( editted since jroy mentioned the 71 & 73 models --thanks )

Jeff

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exctly what I was talking about...thanks everyone for the quick responce. So what's supposed to go beside the creeper gear lever? I see there's something there also in the picture too.
Sorry for being so ignorant about Cubs, I really haven't been around any of the old ones to know much about them. My dad just bought one, it's a later model with a hydro drive (I think in the 80's...it's a 13** something).

Again thanks everyone for the replies and help. Hopefully I can get this thing, If I do I'll be sure to post some pics!

matt

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's exctly what I was talking about...thanks everyone for the quick responce. So what's supposed to go beside the creeper gear lever? I see there's something there also in the picture too.

matt
In the picture I posted, that's the vent/breather for the creeper gear unit. It's missing the cap ( $10.07 at my local Cub dealer )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts